Baseball Playoffs

Holy Red Sox, Batman.

There’s no doubt that style of play is a lot of fun, but c’mon folks, it’s 2004, not 1984.

So many announcers still think that’s the way the game “should” be, particularly the ex-players who always talk about “proven veterans” and “people that know how to win.” I’m looking at you, Tim McCarver, and you, Joe Morgan.

Ah. I gotcha now.

As a Chicago native, that analogy makes things crystal clear to me. :wink:

Let me start by saying “Fuck MLB.com

I pay for the MLB Audio package every year, as I like to listen to west-coast games at bedtime on my laptop (viva wireless). Extra bonus because the feed automatically dies after the post game show (or some time during), so I don’t have to worry about turning the feed off.

So last night, as the Twins are pulling Nathan with Yankees on 2nd and 3rd after ARod’s ground rule double, I turn the TV off and head to bed to fire up the laptop to catch the end of the game before switching over to the Red Sox.

Only, none of the MLB.com audio feeds work. They all come back with “cannot find server. Does not have DNS entry.” The paths/URLs are all super goofy amalgams of numbers and letters that look like they’re connected to Akami. No matter, since I can’t get the games. I did see that the Yankees won on the next batter when Matsui hit his sac fly.

Way to go, jackasses.

I also can’t help but feel like this loss will kill the Twins. They got to Mariano. They got the Torii Hunter 12th inning homer. They couldn’t seal the deal. Going up 2-0 on the road would have been shoveling dirt on the Yankees, and now they’ve let them up.

Although, Carlos Silva v. Kevin Brown. I might have to take the over on this one…

Santana is listed as the Game 4 starter in the Twins/Yankees series that is currently 1-1. He pitched 7 innings on October 5, with Game 4 on October 9, putting him on three days rest (during the regular season starters almost always get a minimum of four days rest between starts). He pitched 228 innings this year, almost 70 innings more than his previous high mark.

I agree that if the Twins lose Game 3 Santana should start Game 4 and Radke Game 5 (also putting him on three days rest). You don’t want Lohse throwing when you’re down 2-1. But if the Twins win Game 3 I think Lohse should pitch Game 4 and Santana Game 5 if necessary. Here’s why…

If Santana pitches Game 4 and wins, it sets them up poorly for the next series. Boston will likely win within the next two games, and they’ll be perfectly set up with their pitching rotation of Schilling/Martinez/Arroyo with Santana facing Arroyo in Game 3 and not pitching again until Game 7. Its much better if Santana can match up against an Ace.

Santana is young, but the Twins were concerned enough to limit his innings in his last regular season start. A Santana on three days rest might not be much better than Lohse, and if he loses they get a tired Radke in Game 5. And if Radke wins Game 5 then the rotation is still screwed for the next series (Santana 3/7 and Radke 4 or Santana 3/tired6 Radke 4/tired7)

If Lohse loses Game 4 and Santana wins Game 5 (the most likely result in this setup), Radke goes in Games 1 and 5 and Santana gets 3 and 7.

Hey that sounds like the Giants (outside of Bonds and Schmidt). Maybe they’ll trade teams…

After last night’s game, I am more convinced than ever that this Cardinal team is going to blast its way through the playoffs and win the Series. It ain’t Whitey-ball, but it’s a lot of fun in its own right.

Troy

But if they face the Red Sox, they’ll face a team with better pitching and an offense that’s their equal.

But if they face the Red Sox, they’ll face a team with better pitching and an offense that’s their equal.[/quote]

If they face the Red Sox. I never make that assumption. I’ve been burned by the Bosox too many times to get my hopes up.

A Boston/St. Louis final would be a good one, though.

Troy

In the World Series, great pitching usually trumps great hitting. So that would give the edge to the Red Sox. But not only is this getting way ahead of ourselves, it assumes that the Red Sox would not, once again, find some improbable sadistic way to break their fans’ hearts.

If it gets that far…

…look for Danny Haren to end up starting games for the Redbirds if Marquis can’t get over the yips and Matty Mo’s arm comes off. Danny Haren is the wind beneath my wings. If he’s healthy next season, he wins 15 games.

I’ll take the Redbird bullpen over the Sox any day and twice on Sunday. There is no Cardinal pitcher in whom I’m more confident than Burger King. In fact, once you get past Caulk Eldred, the lineup of Calero and Tavarez from the right side and Burger and Kline from the left is pretty damn tough.

Also, I thought it was pretty canny of Mike Matheny to dupe the rest of the league into thinking he’s a .240 hitter when in fact he’s Pudge Rodriguez in October.

I’m a Cubs fan and I hate the Cardinals! But anyway, the Cardinals look real good. I actually think the Cardinals hardest opponent could be the Astros (if the Astros actually beat the Braves) and not the Red Sox.

So go you turdbirds… fly fly away. You’re so cute Edmonds! I will weep in anger yet again when the Turdbirds win.

And whats with the name poo-holes?!?!? what kind of name is that? I’d rather take Corky Sosa! POO HOLES!

BTW, CUBS IN 2005! :cry:

“I want to kill a reporter,” Zambrano announced suddenly, taking a few mock swings at some imaginary writers.

etc

Hey, how did you do that? I’d love to do that for some Cubs games.

etc

:D

Don’t even make me break out the “Cubs Playoff Scouting Report” which includes such notable advice as “Hole 5: Par 3, 11 yards; Hit slightly harder to negotiate the loop-de-loop.”

[quote=“mtkafka”]

Hey, how did you do that? I’d love to do that for some Cubs games.

etc[/quote]

mlb.com allowed you to do it during the game for 24 hours after a broadcast if you bought their season ticket back in March. Dunno if they let you do it if you purchased afterwards, although individual games (Like July 18, 2004, for instance) can be purchased online for 3.95 a pop.

The Angels bullpen is the best of all the teams in the playoffs, but it’s a moot point if your starting pitchers are giving up 5-6 runs in the first 3-4 innings.

Bullpens are important; starting pitching is more important.

(And you might want to check the Red Sox bullpen’s postseason stats these last couple of seasons.)

True, but if they break their hearts in the world series, it’ll hurt even more.

I’m glad that being a Cubs fan, I never have to suffer alone!

True, but if they break their hearts in the world series, it’ll hurt even more.[/quote]

I suppose. But did Bill Buckner 1986 really hurt more than Bucky Dent 1978 or Boone 2003? Maybe it’s losing to the Yankees that elevates it to the same level.

YES! THATS THE SPIRIT!

BTW, Trigger I’ve seen those a MILLION times already from my friendly neighborhood Chisox fans. Meh. It only makes the inevitable WS win SWEETER!!!1111

A POX ON THE CARDINALS FANS (I actually don’t mind the Cardinals themselves).

GO RED SOX!

Btw, Guerrero just hit a Grand Slam… oye vey.

etc