Bass Recommendations?

So I’ve been doing some home recording for the past year or so, and I’m getting sick of using soft synths for the basslines. I am, however, incredibly cheap, and my meager musical talents will not have anybody mistaking me for Les Claypool anytime soon. So I’m looking for recommendations for good - or, rather, good enough - bass under $300, and preferably under $250. Any ideas? Or am I kidding myself?

Going on build quality and value for money on their budget guitar range, you should look at ESP or Ibanez for a bass.

You should be able to find a used Fender Jazz or Precision bass in that price range, no problem. You can get new Squire versions of those basses for under 300, but I think you would do better with a used “real” Fender, even if it’s made in Mexico. You might also find a deal on a used Yamaha.

Caveat: I’m in Orange County, California and those deals are easy to find at the local GC or through the Pennysaver. I don’t know what prices are like in the Toronto area, eh?

I like this one:

Speaking of Ibanez, I’ve always hated their standard metal-style pointy-cutaway look, but I was checking out their website and they seem to have expanded from that style with their Artcore and Jet King line. Actually, I really like that semi-hollowbody Artcore bass.

I went on a price-check run of the local pawn shops, and I found hardly any used bassi. A classic Fender Jazz would siut me just fine, though. I’ll keep checking craigslist, too.

ESP, eh? Off to the web!

Yamaha’s lower-middle end basses are an excellent deal for the money as well. A bassist I used to play with picked up a Yamaha 5-string for $299 and it was a surprisingly good rock bass. It was easy to play from the factory, had decent hardware and yielded a nice, ballsy rock tone. This friend of mine picked it over his Alembic a lot of the time for rock tracks.

If you’re willing to spend a bit more, though, it’s hard to go wrong with a P-bass.

Wow, that’s terrific bass!

I’d look into used instruments for sure. I’d think you’d be able to get a Fender P Bass (made in mexico) for under $250 used no problem.