Batman: Gotham Knights - Bat-buddies

Yeah me either and this got me to binge a bunch of his recent stuff too.

Really into where the story in this is going, also loving the hidden around the city secret rooms.

Gotham at night with that rain/fog mod is so perfect imho.

The Eurogamer reviewer also really loved the emails btw, so don’t forget to eventually read those when you’re in the mood.

About 20 hours in I am playing more RedHood now, and finally a got a cutscene to explain how his bullets aren’t lethal. :D

Are you finding the game does a good job of pushing you to play different characters? Or is that strictly up to the player?

I’m still curious about this thing. Not really curious enough to actually reinstall yet, but if there’s interesting variety among the characters, and if the game pushes you to swap among them, it sounds like it could make for some cool endgame situations where you have to decide which character (i.e. toolset) to apply to which situation. Is that how it’s turning out, or is it just a matter of providing four templates for the same gameplay to support multiplayer?

Of course, I should probably just reinstall Arkham Knight and push through to its “real ending” before jumping into this, right?

It’s just up to the player what character you use. I played through the whole game as Batgirl. I’ve read some people like to switch out and take one character through a villain arc, and use a different one for another.

After finishing the game, I tackled random crimes throughout the city with the other characters and am glad that I went with Batgirl for the game. I find her and her kit better than the others, though I was surprised that my second favorite ended up being Robin.

Yeah if I had to rank them in order of desire to play as:

Batgirl
Robin
Red Hood
Night Wing

There is zero push to get you to play as any of them, you end up just picking one when you start that evening’s patrol.

You can spec a character with weapons and mods to make them better tanks vs certain elemental effects, and also able to use elemental effects against enemies.

I’m glad to hear this. One of the parts I disliked in Avengers was being forced to switchup to a different hero. I’d get used to Ms Marvel’s skill-set and then struggle to remember how to fly and fight as Iron Man one or two levels later.

I completely agree with this ranking.

Has anyone been playing with RTX on? I haven’t really noticed a difference between on and off, so I’ve left it turned off, for better overall performance. And I still get loading pop in randomly.

Currently 50% off on GMG ($30.23)

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/gotham-knights-pc/

This is in the latest turkey syria charity humble bundle so I picked it up

I played first hour or so and technically it works well now - no drops below 60 even when driving across town, no shader comp stuter. Only drawback is no support for DSR downsampling so yet again, it requires changing desktop res before starting the game (just like Atomic Heart, while Shadow Warrior supports DSR no problem - and all three games are Unreal 4, wtf…)

I hate how slow the bike feels to drive, the camera placement is just strange but I guess they did it this way because their streaming system cannot handle anything faster.

Aside from that I enjoyed what I played so far.

I haven’t seen ZP in years as well. Funnily enough, I watched the Gotham Knights then the Hogwarts Legacy (which references it), then to see if he was out of touch, the Hi-Fi Rush and I was pleasantly surprised he still recognized good games.

Things have been mostly alright on my understatted rig - 1060 + i7 old gen - felt alright but would crash after awhile so I’m bumping settings down a bit more.

The game itself is alright - I’m definitely playing for the story which is in the “it’s okay but not where I would have taken things” … which I feel works against it a bit so I’m willing to cut it some slack. I am worried I’ll burn out before the ending though. I think killing Batman was a gutsy move, but the payoff was a bit squandered since it really feels like the writers got a memo to write “Year One” story so everyone suddenly becomes a newbie crimefighter, but actually these are all veteran crimefighters so why did they all forget how to fight crime? Somehow they all feel like a partial underpowered Batman, rather than getting four unique heroes each as powerful as Batman. Particularly salty that they removed the counter which made Batman feel like this awesome martial arts master that was attacking even by defending, just by pressing a button and replaced it with…nothing. Now you have to dodge attacks like a pleb - but maybe it’s because I’m playing a lot of Batgirl, who feels a lot like Bruce but maybe all the things Batman can do that Batgirl can’t do anymore just highlights the power downgrade more.
It definitely feels like it has the heart of a superhero game though (and while Gotham city is meh, there are plenty of cool suits!), and I’m glad to have gotten it as part of the charity bundle. It’s distracting me from getting Midnight Suns which seems to be in a price free-fall, so by the time I finish this I could easily justify grabbing the Legendary Edition of Midnight Suns.

A lot of us own this now, thanks to the Humble bundle for Turkey-Syria Earthquake relief.

Digital Foundry went back to check out the performance after the various patches, and liked what they saw.

Finished it and it was fine - good even! By the end, I got into a flow around the dodging and counterattacking that actually started feeling a little like the flow I had with the Arkham counters - but sadly the full combat system at the end feels like a nerfed version of Batman’s - stealthy bits I keep thinking of moves Batman could do that you can’t do as Babs, and fights just remind me that I thought we were just going to get a crazy quad hero version of the team-up fights in Arkham Knight.

At one point right near the end I ended up hunting these minibosses around the city and they spawned these high level adds - the “case file” said levels around 25-26 and I had hit level 30 (which I think is cap) with gear a little above. That round of fights was full of super damage sponge enemies at levels like 34 and I was worried it would be a slog to finish the game - but turns out the first miniboss of the three was the worst one, the next ones (which were the same boss otherwise) spawned like level 32 adds. The final mission right after that all the enemies were back down to like level 28, but I had crafted up a whole new set of gear that went all in on crit damage so I steamrolled to the ending, so maybe all the damage sponginess I read about in reviews is spawn AI issues - getting the RPG systems stable is tough - and how swingy the gear system is with its opaque Gear Score vs Damage numbers.

I feel like they tried reinventing the Batman game but a lot of things were done just as well (or unfortunately better really) in the Arkham games. There’s unfortunately nothing akin to solving the riddler puzzles which were my first forays into collectible/achievement hunting, and which really did make you feel like you were solving small puzzles. And my biggest issue with the story is classic to gaming where there is this team of four Knights and…I’m soloing everything? That’s probably my biggest issue in all the cutscenes I’m thinking where is everyone else and why are they not here helping - so the story was frustrating for me. And I dislike the direction they took most of the characters especially Talia and Harley, and wow they went easy mode on the mystery.

Hmmm, now that I think about Arkham Knight, maybe part of it is also I burned out on the Arkham games by the end of that so part of that might still be lingering - I ended up not doing all the extra challenges in that one, and not even sure I did all the DLC missions.

I’ve recently started playing Arkham Asylum (or whatever that revamped version is called) after not playing if for over a decade. It’s amazing how we it holds up after this time. Unlike some other 360-era games I’ve played recently, it is just as fun as I remember. It’s a shame that the series peaked so early.

Arkham City is even better!

I have some 25 hours in this and it is fun enough. Not as good as Arkham Knight, combat system is more basic, Joker is missed, city and bike are worse, loot and crafting is annoying busywork…but overall it is fun and I will have no problem finishing it. Playing Batgirl exclusively.