Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

I’m following a Let’s Play, Expert, Expert and Ironman, Lone Wolf, where the guy playing is using just his starting mercenary, and boosting his experience at the training halls.

It’s entertaining for me.

7 days in he has 45 or so kills.

Playing the Lone Wolf origin has cured me of any desire to play on “Ironman”. Just no.

Welcome to the forum, knightsabret! I should try Lone Wolf soon.

Lone Wolf is interesting b/c you have 1 great guy and can choose different tactics. Hire chaff and let a few survivors rise through midge? Just hire another strong character? I’m enjoying that more than my caravan who benefit from the $$$ but are slow to advance with the renown restriction. I tried one deserter which ended poorly and predictably with bad resolve ending a fight. How are the the poachers/peasants etc?

In episode 4 or 5 he has a battle where his character misses about 6 or 7 attacks at 95% probability and is hit 6 or 7 times at 25% or less probability.

Someone in the comments ran the numbers and said the chance of such a streak was 1 in 13,000,000 or something stupid.

His character almost died.

Was one of the most interesting fights.

He got his guy to lvl 11 by turn 16.

Now he is expanding his roster, and saving money to find a hedge Knight to join him.

Through events he had a squire and a vagabond join him, and he recruited a sword master.

Thanks rhamorim! I really do enjoy the Lone Wolf start, btw. But after a few crushing defeats I was forced to accept that I’m probably just not good enough at this game to succeed at Lone Wolf Ironman!

The very next game after getting the achievement for losing 10 ironman campaigns, I finally get the achievements for defeating a Greenskin Invasion and winning an ironman campaign. I was playing Beginnner, but I was fairly sure I would never win a campaign in this game. I was doing random starts, but actually won with the old tutorial start situation. I had random end game crisis, and the greenskins weren’t too tough on Beginner.

Ironically, I’d chosen to play Battle Brothers before the release of Phoenix Point, figuring I would die a couple of times and be able to start playing PP as soon as it was released.

Funny how that works sometimes :)

Expansion or new game? Either one is awesome.

Not a new game, I’m pretty sure. Looks like a DLC adding a new desert biome to me.

I would love to see more done with the map. Make it a bit mote interesting. More to do and see. So hoping for that.

Fewer mountains would be nice.

Having your own BB HQ would be fun. Hiring your own smith, fletcher, etc.

Amen.

I’m expecting it won’t exactly be fast travel through through the desert.

Coming second quarter.

Here’s the rough list of features we’re aiming for:

• A realm of independent southern city-states with their own lore, equipment and services, as well as entirely new character backgrounds to recruit
  • A new late game crisis that tests the mettle of your company in the fires of religious turmoil
  • A gallery of company feats that grant permanent boons with which to customize your company to your playstyle as you progress throughout your campaign
  • A variety of new opponents with their own fighting styles – from exotic beasts to desert raiders and southern armies quite unlike those in the north
  • New environments both on the world map and in tactical combat
  • Several new origins to pick for your company for a different campaign experience
  • New banners, weapons, armors and helmets inspired by historic Arabian and Persian cultures of the medieval ages
  • New legendary locations and legendary rewards
  • New contracts and events
  • New crafting recipes for owners of the ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC
  • Several new music tracks by Breakdown Epiphanies to accompany you on your travels south

Sounds wonderful!

Indeed. BB is one of those games i start up every so often and then quit in rage over some dumb rng :)

I just played a gang to the end of the campaign (the orc invasion), lost only a few people.

My tips.
My entire frontline minus one had shields
I had one guy who had a two handed sword in the frontline
every other guy in my frontline was armed with a military spear (eventually upgraded to a boar spear)
When i knew the enemy was hitting my frontline I had my spear guys raise their spears to push back oncoming charges (this works pretty much universally except against giants and useless against those nightmare beasts).
In the back line i had one archer, one bowman, and one bannerman.
I rotated back up to high ground, at least for my archers but if i could get it for most my frontline it made the battle pretty easy,

The game was tough, but doable if i watched the star rating I went up against. Had to do one reload for a battle…

and yes, feels a lot like XCOM, loved it