Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

A lot of the same arguments getting repeated here and all those ideas about female warriors are nice but as mentioned before their text engine isn’t as flexible as they would have wanted it to be in hindsight to properly introduce Battle Sisters. It’s the same reason why they can’t provide official translations in other languages (which would have increased their sales by an enormous amount, the developers and people here seriously underestimate this aspect). I think if they really could they would have done those things already. A harsh lesson for them but BB remains a debut game, what did people expect? These guys are challenging the likes of Firaxis and good old Sirtech on their own turf with limited means (they quit their day jobs during development) and have been learning on the go.

Can you replace such a contentious person of a writer in a whim and delete / replace all his work? No, that would have broken the base game as well (see that text engine again). It remains a shame of course but I don’t see as many controversial events as others seem to do, the majority remains balanced for what they are. I don’t know if they’re gonna keep working with that guy in the future but what I do know is that it would be a shame to miss out on those DLCs if you like the base game. You really feel they’re getting better at it.

And again, having the option to be a very ruthless mercenary feels awkward at times but that’s what most companies and medieval soldiers did in those days. They had to be paid and if no work was on the table then no-one in their vicinity was glad to see them roaming the land, period. You can’t soften up on that if historical warfare and building out a mercenary band are your main features. Having folklore and fantasy elements present in the game on top of a Germany-based medieval setting doesn’t mean the developers are obliged to crank down on the horrors that day-to-day folks had to endure. I’d say the game is even a bit too soft on that. Would have liked to see towns die out because of diseases and starvation based on your (in-)action. It could be more medieval I’d say.

As for folks following your warband in the game: Blazing Deserts introduced a Retinue mechanic. It’s limited (but then so is only being able to field 12-15 warriors in battles as well) and you need some achievements to unlock them but it’s well worked out for the most part. That includes some women (no whores).