Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

I’m getting better success when I gave up my fixation on spears. The other weapons does a lot more to undead.

And I got the encounter with a wild demon that swallowed a man whole described above. It turns out that he’s the lucky one because 2 guys bought the farm in that encounter but he was spit out at full health and none worse for the wear when we brought that demon down.

Ironman makes me play more cautiously. I’ll reject some missions until I feel that my equipment is upgraded enough. The tension in Ironman is a great way to play.

Yeah I’ve been having a pretty good time at Veteran/Ironman in the beta.

I’ve learned quite a few things. Like never specialize in throwing weapons because upgrades apparently don’t exist for them. And too many spears is a bad thing, but a couple is pretty damned handy a lot of the time, especially against undead and hordes of thugs.

Mmmm, ok so now that I’m in the beta an playing Normal/Ironman, it all seems a little bit too easy. I lose a guy here and there, but so far it seems I can wipe out most two skull missions without even getting close to damaged (I haven’t been offered 3 skull missions yet). Day 30 and I have 110 armor or better in my 12 guys and 100 helmet or so, which does seem overkill.

Now I want to play Veteran in the beta, since I can’t believe there’s such a big jump from one to another :P

But yeah, they should default to the beta, the difference in impression is too great.

If you’re like me the idiot. You’ll not notice that there are skulls on top of the mission scroll in each town. I never noticed that.

Just saw them So I don’t have to turn down missions because the I can now ignore the mission scrolls that are too high for me. Prior to this, I was stupidly clicking into each scroll to see what level they were before rejecting them!

Hounds help versus necrosavants. Give each archer a hound. When the necrosavant sneaks behind your archers, release the dogs. That should give you time to fight back.

Idiot?! I consider you Mensa material for your understanding of Star Ruler 2. There is a game I so wanted to like but just couldn’t grasp the mechanics, even after reading your posts and my multiple good faith attempts.

So any BB tips I can provide I consider payback for your valiant efforts to get a dunderhead like me to learn to play SR 2.

I hope that once BB is officially released there is more mouse over text and other attempts to make the game mechanics more transparent.

I did not notice that til day 90!

I did feel like an idiot. =)

I dont understand the Gifted perk.from the burb. Does it only give the die roll bonus for that level? Or for all subsequent levels?

Yea, I think the colors didn’t help.

I’m probably wrong, but I interpreted that as you get one instant level at max numbers (but no extra perk) then that’s it.

I have used this a few times, it’s a solid pick I feel, but not always a smart one. Sort of like picking “gain a level!” in Fallout 1 and 2.

It essentially gives you another level but not another skill point, though you can pick new stat upgrades and those picks will be the highest possible for the stat you pick (so a lot of +5’s there).

I worry picking this was a bad idea as it takes longer to level up again and you missed out on a skill point, but I’m not fully sure.

It only gives the die roll bonus for the level gained. According to the wiki “Instantly gain a levelup to increase this character’s attributes with maximum rolls + 1. (Doesn’t take 3 stars Talent bonus into account for the maximum roll.)”

I don’t choose this perk as I prefer level two perks Head Hunter for my melee troops and Quick Hands for my ranged.

Something I learned, but maybe this is obvious to others. The contract where your guys patrol a series of roads and get paid per head collected seemed not very lucrative as I didn’t run into very many foes on the road for the days allotted to the contract. And each day burns pay and food.

So I tried wandering off the roads, discovered a hideout fairly far from the road, attacked it and wiped out the baddies and all of the victims counted toward my tally. Now I am maxing out on the head count, and when I negotiate the contract I always demand more per head. I don’t know how far is too far off the contracted road network, but anywhere I kill a baddie I’ve gotten credit for it.

Just a heads up, nyuck nyuck.

I just saved enough to purchase a Great Sword for one of my companions. He’ll going to be all powerful. A dominant player in the field.

So on day 42. I proudly took on a noble house job of clearing some greenskins. Some Orc Young and a few Orc Beserkers.

They are going to fall to my Great Sword. Did I say “Great”? Yes Great! Well, no. My companion who I was planning to do some killing go 1 shot by a berserker…

That’ll teach me.

Yea, not sure how the math stack up. E.g. the defence and attack increase seems really good.

I hate to tell you but day 30 is just getting started. You are going to be running into some fights later on that will kick your ass. The enemies will get tougher and tougher, believe me.
Also, the 110 armor is really just the beginning armor. Get some laminated plate, that stuff lets you ignore arrows (but not crossbow bolts).

As for a big jump in difficulty at veteran, the main differences are you get paid less in veteran and the enemy toughness ramps up faster, so it’s harder to stay ahead of the curve.

This perk is primarily useful when all your brothers are high level and then someone dies. I try to get their (much) lower replacement up to speed ASAP sometimes by choosing this perk and the one that boosts XP by 20%. It wastes a few perks yeah, but you can get them ramped up enough to hold their own in battle pretty quickly that way.

They don’t know where you found those heads, they just know you showed up at the places you were supposed to and assume they came from patrolling. It’s kinda great in a morbid way.

Does anyone know if the Witchhunter is a good profession to pickup?
Or Militia? Or should I just skip them and go straight to better recruits?

Ok, day 100 and I have a full squad (12) in Normal Ironman with armor 150 (115 in the head) with 4 sellsword and 3 nobles and everything is pretty much the same. Not only the mission (and they are repetitive), but also combat itself.

The game has a bad case, so far, of an optimal tactic trumping everything else (except when I fought 8 necrosavants, that killed some guys back then). and the optimal tactic is sort of boring. Just stand still, let the enemy come and them mow them to death. It’s worse than the first XCOM, at least there the level design forced some interesting choices.

I think if the progression were faster and less grindy this would’t be so much of a problem, but instead of having around 20-50 cool battles like most tactics game, this is stretched beyond belief.

When does the end-game crisis trigger?

I restarted after the Orc wipe I mentioned earlier. Knowing what missions and ambitions to pick really make the progress much faster. At day 8 I managed to complete 3 ambitions and obtained the Battle Standard.

I’m trying to see if I can approach most hires like fodder and concentrate on a few key hires at a time. Swapping out the 2 hander for a handaxe helped my initial companion work better as his mobility is much increased, getting far better result.

Picking Crippling Strikes + Executioner also helps a lot in the battles. Previously I had been picking Colosus + Steel Brow. Offense seems to being me much better and faster results if I am willing to treat some men as fodder.