Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

I do appreciate the care the developers put into this game. They have a great sense of humor, too.

The graphic representation of the traits, for instance.

and

And my favorite representation for this background.

I hope they had fun making this. I certainly enjoy playing it.

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder807/66161807.jpg

Yes I’ve had that happen. But it was because I hadn’t noticed there was a second set of prints nearly on top of the ones I was originally watching. That’s my guess of what occured. I figured it out as I’ve seen prints split in two directions at the Same time, so once in a great while is some overlap. But I could be wrong and they added something like you mentioned but I’d didn’t see it in patch notes.

The other night I was having a pretty solid run, up to 12 Brothers, working on my standard. Walking off to the next city was attacked by 5 goblin wolfriders. Who then proceeded to one hit decapitate my guys in about 3 turns. We had decent head armor too, I’ve never had the issues with them I did there.

They spent the first turn flanking, one charged in and got speared down. Then the rest rushed in and just started lopping heads left and right. 3 turns later everyone was dead and I think maybe 2 of them still had something atop their spines. Crazy shit and kind of hilarious.

Can you recover from something like this if you don’t have a TPK? Or is the power curve and world timer too much?

The one thing I like about pixel privateers is that if you can just save one team member, you can rebuild your team and get back into it with a little work and cash.

I bought BB a little while ago but have yet to sink my teeth into it.

You can, but it’s not at all easy later in the game, it might not even be possible at that point.

This was still pretty early on so I could’ve probably recovered… if anyone had lived. You can’t really outrun head-loppers on wolves - they’re a lot faster than you are.

Fortunately crazy swings like this are pretty rare, this was the first time goblins had caused me any sort of problem at all, to be honest.

I saw that Goblin wolfrider AI always tries to flank your dudes, so if you make a circle with your dudes they will spread out and try to flank (to no sucess) one by one and they are easy to kill that way.

I wish the game kept easy contracts that you can do with a crappy team later on, it makes it very hard to recover after a wipe.

It didn’t use to, it used to charge straight at you and engage, I’d dealt with them pretty easily in previous runs by just throwing up some spear walls and butchering anything that got through.

This time one of them did that and the others did the flanking thing and got around us since we couldn’t pivot in time (only took them 2 turns to do the flank and shifting the line takes at least that long and we’re a hell of a lot slower movement and initiative-wise).

Yes, you can recover, even later on in the game, but only if you have enough resources saved up to do so. That’s why it helps to keep a big war chest for that rainy day. If you have 25,000 crowns saved up and you can hire leveled sellswords, swordmasters, hedge knights and the like to replace your fallen bros, then you can recover. It still won’t be easy but it can be done.

And this is also why it can really pay off to have full (or mostly full) reserves. Even if your battle is a total disaster, you’ll then still have enough bros left from your reserves to carry on.

I’m quite surprised at the number of people who only keep 12 bros. I have 17 because I don’t like to go into battle with anyone injured. Of course when no one is hurt I’m running into bad blood where they’re upset and feel useless being left out of battle. Another reason I like to keep a good number of reserves is pickup battles. I can’t count the number of times I’ve run into a small band of something and came out with good loot and exp upgrades.

The loss of easy missions, I hadn’t noticed this was a thing. The number is by far fewer, but I’m still finding them in cities and towns I haven’t visited much. This didn’t change with all the patches in the last week did it?

Early on it’s hard to keep a reserve because then you’re paying salary to men that aren’t fighting and it really adds up. It’s only when you get your renown up there and are making the big bucks that you can afford to indulge in a big reserve. So, for me at least, it’s more of a late game luxury.

Also, I like to pick up men that are always happy to be in reserve. That’s a nice trait to have because they never get pissy about not fighting all the time.

Will there be a significant difference between now and the release?

Doubt it.

Hmm, looks like GMG has it for $16. Might as well jump on it before the hike.

e: Enjoying it so far. Just had 3 direwolves kill 2 of my 7 men, though.

Had my first major battle with 23 enemies. It was actually an ambush where I was chasing bandits and got jumped on by another group of goblins.

Luckily, I repositioned and they engaged each other instead. So I just jumped into the fray when they made contact. The “oh shit…” turned into “oh fun” when I remembered they were of opposing factions.

When the enemies started to get tougher, some of my brothers died. They just could not hack it with their low stats. Hiring my first Hedge Knight now… wish me luck with the rolls…

Another patch today. Some highlights:

Added 10 new events.
Added one new music track.
Added option to have no late game crisis occur when starting a new campaign.
Changed starting inventory size to 90, up from 81. Requires a new campaign to take effect.

What’s the rationale behind no late game crisis? That’s weird.

Quite a few have requested it apparently. I guess I can see where if you wanted a more relaxing game where you can build your company up and spend all the time you’d like looking for named artifacts, this would be a good mode. Basically, a pure sandbox mode.

I can say that in both of my campaigns with late game crisis (that’s actually more mid-game crisis), I’ve not had much time to hunt down named weapons and armor, which is a lot of the fun in the game to me. I see the tavern rumors of places that have them but the crisis contracts tend to get in the way. But, that just may be me assigning more urgency to getting the crisis under control than is actually warranted. I think I’m going to experiment some to see what happens if I just wander off somewhere looking for artifacts in the middle of a crisis.

I welcome that option. More options for play style are always a good thing in my opinion.

I’m really enjoying this game and the basic mechanics are phenomenal but I think it could be even better if they add many more events and quests of varying types. The closer this gets to Darklands the happier I’ll be :D

Yeah, I think the devs would probably agree. I believe they’ve added 20 new events over the last 2 updates. Let’s hope they continue to add them after release. I think at one point they said they plan to if they can.