Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

I understand delaying the end game events to relax the pace. But to remove them totally? What do you use the uniques and legendary weapons you found on? What’s the challenge?

Well, if you’re playing sandbox, you can create as much trouble for yourself as you want to. Ctrl+click on a noble’s militia and attack them, for example. If you survive the battle (those guys are seriously equipped) then the whole countryside will be up in arms after you. I can see myself playing as a bandit company, attacking all the merchant caravans and looting them for goods. After awhile nearly every city in the game would be out for your blood. Since you couldn’t trade in most towns anymore, you’d maybe have to rely mostly on looting caravans to get your supplies. That should be very challenging. Trying that kind of play-though definitely appeals to me and I’m certainly going to give it a try at some point to see what happens.

Interesting. But I guess you’ll probably starve to death playing that way haha.

@Elhokar The problem though is every time (including just an hour ago) there is a new patch it adds tons of new stuff like events and QOL stuff like more inventory item slots. I’m holding off until these significant updates stop dropping, which I assume will be the 3/24 1.0 update.

EDIT
Wow, there have been more patches than I realized since I last played. Here is what I have to look forward to that wasn’t in the game when I was playing it!

2 new injury types
27 new events
2 music tracks
10 new illustrations
a bunch (27 changes and 53 fixes) of changes and fixes that improve the game’s overall balance and quality.
additional options!

And that was in the last 8 days or so. With 10 more days who knows what they are planning to add before launch? My advice is to play a little to get a feel for the game and develop some strategies, but wait for the final release to play your first real, earnest attempt at a new campaign.

Either way, it’s a worthy title to dig into, either now or later. It’s a full, complete game right now and your save (in the beta branch) should be compatible with the final version. But the final version will just have more “stuff” (if history proves) so it’s maybe a tough call.

Also this comes out like 2 days after Mass Effect Andromeda, which may be a conflict for some folks.

I’d probably want to avoid attacking caravans from at least one or two towns to give myself a safe haven to buy food and recruit more men in a pinch. Plus, I bet some caravans drop food. I actually think it might be fun and exciting to play a game on the dark side this way.

I can see wisdom in disabling the end game events now. Hope it don’t get too boring wiping stacks out with the company of doom. =)

Haha, it shouldn’t. The enemies keep scaling up and getting tougher the longer you play. It used to be that no matter how tough your company got you’d always run into that one stack of 25 ancient vampires or something that would end you. Hopefully I will retire with a good score before that happens. :-)

Today’s update requires starting a new campaign. I assume others in the next week will as well. That’s even more reason to hold off.

Only thing the update says would require a new campaign is the expanded inventory as far as I can see.

Perhaps, but it’s only a little over a week away. It’s still worth waiting, as far as I can see.

Due to the way RNG is used in the recruit pool. I think I found the way to better make use of my money.

I now travel around hiring every recruit under 300. It is possible to get very good recruits even from even basic professions. I get like farmhands with decent starting stats and with 1x3 stars and 2x2 stars in melee and fatigue and initiative this way.

This is way way better than hiring 4-9K higher tier professions. I get like 10-70 tries/rolls more compared with those super expensive hires that cost tons to maintain as well. This can be started as early as I want. I dont have to save up to like 10-20K before building my core team. Since their maintenance costs are so low, I can start as early as when I have 1K to blow or even less!

Yep, that’s what I do. I grab farmers, millers and wildmen whenever I see them (wildmen are pretty rare now). They often have great melee stats and good fatigue. I also make sure to grab a tailor if I can find one so I have a chance to trigger the event where he makes you a set of direwolf armor (you need some pelts in your inventory). A few of the professions have an event that triggers and it’s pretty cool.

I never grab the expensive troops until I’m pretty much rolling in cash. That said, I once hired a hedge knight for 4000 crowns simply because he came equipped with a greatsword. The greatsword by itself would cost me 4000 to buy so it was like getting the hedge knight free. Most of the hiring cost of the expensive troops are the equipment they come with.

The attention to detail in BB is fantastic. For example, I shot this bandit twice with a crossbow, killing him with the 2nd shot and, lo and behold, both of the bolts are in his corpse!

I also noticed that when a fallen human is reanimated as a zombie (thanks to the undead crisis) they seem to have the exact same armor and weapon(s), sometimes making them very tough hombres, like heavily armored and footmen with kite shields… cool!

Makes complete sense. I never saw it that way.

Except that the price will go up. :P

I meant waiting to play, not waiting to buy.

I hope beyond hope this game gets DLC, expansions and continues to expand. This is such a fantastic foundation for so much more.

Absolutely. It’s a solid base and I envision DLCs adding more enemy types, maybe more magic/fantasy, new tactical maps, more gear variety, etc. I also wonder how mod-able it is and if there will be an API which would extend its lifespan beyond even DLCs.

Right now, not very. Modding has been one of the most heavily requested BB features from the very beginning. They’ve said many times that they want to add it in there but there’s no way they could include it with the release version. Along with everything else that they wanted to do but just didn’t have the resources, they would like to add modding sometime after release.

They would like to do so much more with this game since it’s their dream project, it all depends on the sales after release. They need to be able stay together as a new company and not have to all go back to their day jobs. Looking at the SteamSpy stats, frankly I’m not all that optimistic. But maybe there will be a sales surge after release. Got my fingers crossed.

[quote=“Coldsteel, post:380, topic:76758, full:true”]Looking at the SteamSpy stats, frankly I’m not all that optimistic. But maybe there will be a sales surge after release. Got my fingers crossed.
[/quote]

I am optimistic. They have quite a few sales but room to grow within the genre. And the balance of the game in the beta seems all right, with beginner being quite forgiving. If they hired a decent PR agency and get enough reviews and eyeballs on it on launch week it could sell handsomely. Of course, it’s always a throw of the dice, but they have good chances, I would say.

Some EA games sell way more at release than when they get into EA. It all depends on the marketing strategy