Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

Dear lord… I read there are fallen heroes and vampires as well. Never met any of them either. I tend not to stir up that which should remain undisturbed. hehe

How you kill them used to matter - I have not tested this recently but there was a time where attacking with cleavers tended to yield more loot because you don’t typically destroy the armor before they go down.

The only thing I spend money on early on is helmets and shields (plus weapons if I don’t have any to spare). I’ll also splurge on kit shields when I see them - they are really good with their 25 melee defense so are worth the money - until some ahole bandit axes it in half… :(

Cleavers is bad idea now because death due to bleeding denies you both the xp and the loot.

Yea, kind of sucks. They introduced this mechanism when they removed the possible exploit where you get others to kill for you by luring groups to friendly mercs.

That’s such a weird decision. Much easier to reduce loot if non-mission allies present in a percentage equal to the number of allies/number of total combatants. .

Yeah, I hope they clean up the bleeding issue in a patch. Right now if one of your bros dies to bleeding it doesn’t show who killed him in the Obituary. I don’t think that they have a game variable for bleeding that tracks who administered the bleeding stack to who and that’s causing all of these issues.

That’s still true as long as you chop off his head with the cleaver. You can get tons of helmets that way. However axes and 2-hand swords can as well and they don’t have the bleeding issue. I love cleavers but I quit using them for now.

I have this mission from a noble on offer. The thing is, the guys leading me to their boss were laughing all the way. And the boss offering it was laughing it all the way. I’m supposed to kill some greenskins…

So should I take it? The laughing makes me real nervous…

I’ve powered through to my first endgame crisis and I’m starting to really think my team is not equal to the task. I have a core of level 8-9 brothers, plus some more 4-6 guys that I picked up more recently to replace attrition. My perk picks on leveling were semi random as this is my first run at the game, so some people have suboptimal combinations of perks that I wish I could redo.

On the upside I’m fairly flush with cash since top tier contracts can pay in the ~3k range. On the downside, it seems like I’ve reached the end of getting better equipment as loot. It looks like if I really want my folks in heavy (150-200) armor or wielding greatswords I’ll need to buy them. That’s going to be a very expensive proposition.

It seems like I’m having to reload and re-attempt nearly every mission to avoid losing 1-2 people per fight. I might just retire this company and start a new one to play a little smarter on my second run through.

I had no idea this was a thing. Seems like an easy fix to this is just have the rule change when you’re alone vs. in a group with allies.

These sorts of things always seem easy to the gamers, but programming wise it may be a whole other ball game. I doubt it’s that simple, or they would have already done it.

My thoughts are put it back the way it was, and don’t worry so much if people are using an exploit in a single player game. Shrug.

Ditto. I hate when my personal experience is adversely affected by design choices that are meant to deter/prevent cheesy exploits that I would never take advantage of myself or even know existed in the first place. Especially in single-player games… Just let me make a cleaver-wielding wildman and not worry about losing XP!!

Been paying a lot more attention to the overland map before engaging in encounters.

I carry a full assortment of weapons and change my weapons before the start of an encounter.
When I see armoured enemies or expect them, I’ll switch to mace and flails and maybe hammers.
When vs wolves or nachzazers or things without armour, I’ll go swords with some a few maces for the stuns.

Changes my effectiveness completely.

Agree regarding the cleavers. Should have left the exploit in instead of breaking the weapon totally now. Really sad beacuse it would have been a fantastic weapon vs armourless enemies.

In my more than 20/30 hs of battle brothers i have never killed anyone with the bleeding effect of the cleavers.

They are very effective weapons against the undead and other unarmored stuff and who doesnt like beheadings?

If you decapitate an undead, it will not reanimate so cleaver is good for that.

Edit: But bleeding stacks. If a high level armoured guy bleeds out behind his armour, you’ll lose out on his goodies.

You have to break the armor before the target can bleed, and that means losing the armor as loot.

If you want to keep the armor the best way is beheading it, smash the head with a flail, or using daggers (they bypass armor) and you will get the armor.

I think the ignore armour portion of the cleaver allows for bleeding through armour. I have seen that happen when I was using cleaver.

I wonder why the long axes works wonders against undead legionaires. It’s kind of weird that my hybrid archers actually does much more damage to the legionaires comapred to the frontliners with maces and flails…

I would have to test this, but the tooltip says it has to hit an unarmored body part, be it head or torso, for the bleed effect to take place.

Ah, I found out why the long axe is so effective against the undead. Strike, the basic attack of the Long Axe basically attack both head and body in 1 hit.

Interesting, I’ve noticed that long axes hit like a truck but I just assumed it was due to the high effectiveness vs armor and the high damage.

I’ve got the quick hands perk on all my archers nowadays so that they can switch to long axes or pikes as soon as the enemy closes with my line. It’s the only way I can handle really heavily armored foes like orc warriors.

I have same setup. Basically I have about 5 hybrid Archers who switch to close range weapons when enemies close. The range basically own almost everything except the skeletons, by the time they approach the line, the enemies are severely hurt.

It works even when they have archers, like goblins. I just have to not neglect my ranged defences.

I’m finding the Hold Out perk a must have. The cripple effects that enemies inflict on your guys are devastating mid battle. Having the perk is extremely helpful to stay combat effective. But I can see that it’s value drops when you are extremely heavily armoured. On archers though, it seems necessary as an unlucky shot that gets in can change the sniper killing machine into a misfiring boyscout mid battle.