Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

I was feeling confident and took on a defending against raider contract that gave 2K+ reward.

Have 5 bowmen +1 sergeant behind 6 front-liners. They were around level 6. But I had 2 spots with only level 3 brothers (due to 2 unfortunate deaths. And I had just pruned my reserves. Only 2 level 1 guys were in there, helping me do my repairs.)

Only 2 had 210 armors. The rest were having 95-110 armors.

I almost bit off more than I could chew… because 3 groups of raiders spawned!
15, 9 and 12 men groups (made of Marksmen and Raiders). It was hair raising as I am on Iron-man.

Their marksmen had a couple of lucky shots and almost took out one of my bowmen. By the time everything was done,

It’s battles like this that make this game awesome. By the skin of my teeth…

Just discovered something quite interesting.

I took a mission to clear an abandoned fortress. Upon arrival, I clicked on it and I was greeted with “Many Armored Wiedergangers and Some Nacherzers”

But I wanted to position better and did not choose to follow up. I repositioned the attack direction and then was greeted with another bunch or enemies. This time Raiders!

I never realised that the system rolls a dice every time you attempt the location, we can get different enemies from the same location if we choose to disengage the first time!

Game changer!

Was this on Ironman setting?

Yea, Ironman.

Edit: Although sometimes, we are not able to disengage when we hit a liar. It seems like ther is a random factor involved in whether we can “scout” the enemies.

Hmmmm.

Doesn’t seem “Ironmanish” to reroll locations to get different enemies.

The game offers you a choice to disengage and not commit to a battle.
Sometimes it’s advantageous to wait till dawn or evening depending on the enemy composition. Or to choose to approach on a plains.

Just happens that it’s odd that the locations randomizes enemies. Which I find strange and weird, I had thought that the enemy composition at the location is fixed when the mission was generated and taken.

Seems that it’s open to exploit. It’s up to the individual whether to exploit it I guess =).
Although the exploit is not open always, sometimes you cant see the enemy and the option to disengage does not appear and you’ll have to fight.

I have never had different enemies after I fall back.

Ditto, I’ve never seen different enemies after a fallback. I’m wondering if that was a weird bug where a roving band was in the neighborhood and the game got confused about what you should be fighting.

Hmmmm, that may be possible. As in a hidden group was encountered instead of the one at the location.

I think I can test it out on a non-ironman game. Save and reload should be able to duplicate this if it exist.

I thought this was pretty good.

This is awesome. They’re going to implement part of what I suggested. This should help somewhat with the worldgen issues.

It will be great!

Cool. That will also enable “runs of the week/whatever” type things.
Since there is a score at the end that could be kinda fun.

The Happy Wanderers were 10 days into their career when they ill-advisedly accepted a two skull contract to retrieve a crystal bauble stolen from a local potentate by some brigands. Led by the intrepid bards Yosh and Stan Shmenge and Linsk Minyk, the seven wanderers caught up to the thieves. To the Wanderers’ surprise, the brigands had a Necromancer in their party. Having never encountered a Necromancer in a party of the living, the Wanderers dismissed the mortal threat and charged into battle under the fluttering banner of the Leutonian Golden Eagle.

As the brigands fell to the Wanderers’ flashing spears and swords, they rose again under the Necromancer’s spells. Before they could reach the Necromancer the Wanderers were cut down, their gilkes silenced.

I think I amuse myself more with the story telling aspect of this game than the actual game play.

But seriously, fuck Necromancers.

If you think that was bad, wait for running into a wandering band of 7 necrosavants! I fell back to autosave and retried that fight like 4 times before deciding that it wasn’t winnable without heavy losses. I just hit “retreat” and accepted that everyone in my party would be heavily wounded.

Necrosavants, yeah, PITA. A few good tactics for them:

• Turn 1. make sure you move your men into a ball with the weakest armored bros in the middle where they can’t reach them before the necros arrive. Usually that will be your ranged bros they attack.

• Don’t use 2 hand weapons in this fight. They miss against necos almost 100% of the time. Instead give everyone shields and a hammer/club.

• Use the clubs/hammers/maces stun attack to incapacitate them and keep them from moving.

• Use nets to keep them from moving if you have them.

• Use the ‘Taunt’ skill if you have it to keep them from running around and to attack one guy instead.

• Bring a bunch of bandages because they will make you bleed.

You can see that the theme here is to control their ability to hit and run. If you can do that, you can win. They aren’t well armored. That said, 7 at once is pretty tough. I took down 5 in a battle once and it was a bitch.

My first encounter with Necrosavants was a caravan ambush at night.

It did not end well.

Interesting, I hadn’t considered using maces on them for stuns. I just assumed that as undead they were immune. I’ll have to try that next time.

I would love to be able to just switch everyone from kite shields to heater shields for a necrosavant fight but I don’t carry that many heater shields around as a matter of course. I did try shield/spear equipping my backline in one of my tries, but they still got swarmed under. Necrosavants are so fast and mobile that they were in melee with me before I go to go on round one. So I wasn’t able to ever really get a good turtle formation going.

Now this… this is pretty awesome:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/365360/discussions/0/135513549090901828/

Yes it is.

Thanks for sharing it @Coldsteel .