Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

Interesting stuff. Most of that I’d figured out on my own, but there were some really good ideas in there. I haven’t played around with unshielded duelists much so I’ll have to give that a whirl. I also love the idea of netting necrosavants.

So it seems that with today’s update, development is oficially over. They might patch bugfixes as needed, but no new content is planned.

Did that worldgen suggestion above make it in?

That’s an amazing changelog though, lots of good stuff there.

The game, when I last played it (which was honestly several major looking patches ago, looks like) was fucking phenomenal. And very complete. I don’t begrudge them wanting to take a break after 5 years and work on something new, and I for one will watch their next project with Klei-levels of interest. I do hope some day they apply lessons learned and give us a Battle Brothers 2, though.

And I will certainly get anew game going with this latest and last patch at some point in the near future.

I guess predictably enough, there are a few threads on the Steam forums raging about the devs abandoning the game. I must admit that while based on the number of sales I did not expect OverHype to continue large scale development of the game or produce any DLCs, I did not expect them to move on to their next game quite so quickly as they have.

I think that smart devs stick around and continue to support their new games for a while before moving on to their next big thing, even if a lot of that is just lip service. People that buy a newly released game and fall in love with it don’t want to hear almost right away that nothing further is coming and the devs are done with it. Especially when there are so many little things that still need work. I was particularly hoping they’d at least patch in the missing extra combat environments they had to drop.

I think this is almost more about PR and perception of your company than anything else and maybe they don’t get that being a new company and all. I do get the impression that they’re just kind of sick of working on it and that might have influenced their decision to move on so quickly.

I mean the game is done.

Exactly this. If they don’t have any more content to provide, and if providing said content is more and more complex as they hit resource limits (either physical or mental exhaustion) it’s time to move on. They are leaving the game in great shape, and I am looking forward to what they work on next.

I was disappointed with the limited scope of the game. I would have liked more RPG stuff, or more strategic map stuff. But whatever. Maybe they’ll add some of that in a sequel.

Except it’s really not. There’s a long list of planned stuff that they dropped to get it out the door and that they said all along they hoped to be able to add back in after the game was released, depending on how well it sold. Now obviously it did not sell well enough for them to do that and that’s a shame but the game is nowhere near “done” in the sense that it’s where they wanted it to be. That’s one of the main reasons some folks are disappointed. But, if it didn’t sell, it didn’t sell and there’s nothing to be done about it.

What was dropped?

What constitutes selling well? It appears that 90,860 ± 8,689 copies sold according to Steam Spy. If avg price was $26 gross sales would be in excess of $2.3 million. No idea what the net would be, but that seems like a hefty amount to my uninformed eye. Am I reading those numbers wrong?

I bought this in early access, kind of burned out on it before it finally released, but I definitely got my monies worth and don’t begrudge the devs if they want to move on. I certainly did and I only played it.

I think this can be said of any software developer who has ever shipped a product.

Probably the biggest one was support for modding. That’s a pretty big effort though.

The one I was hoping made it in at some point was battle environments with context. So, dungeons, ruins, fortresses, towns and the like. So, if you attack a ruin, your battle won’t happen in an open forest. They did some mockups before they dropped it:

There was other stuff, such as adding support units for your army that wouldn’t fight but provide services, equipment and support (blacksmiths, healers and the like).

They were also going to add more unique items to the game as well as “battle sisters” with unique backgrounds.

There’s other stuff related to combat like mounts and yet other stuff I’m probably not remembering.

Yeah, that stuff would have been cool, but I don’t think it’s absence makes me feel the game is somehow not a whole or complete game. I’m guessing a combination of interest (from the devs) and resources (lacking to continue updating a game that may have stopped selling?) are the culprit, and I don’t really mind. I love this game and have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it (and will certainly play it again at some point) but honestly…? It’s kind of refreshing to have a game that isn’t going to get better and better, so I can finally just play it and not worry “what might come out after I get tired of it?”

The constant struggle of Endless Access games. Some people buy into an unlimited dream, but others sit around waiting for a good stopping point.

Maybe one day we’ll have indie developers selling games to other teams for ongoing development. I realize there are challenges with that arrangement.

Any tips for early game? Company size, weapon types to focus on? I’ve tried going with 6 brothers with heavy focus on spears (spearwall is pretty overpowered early on) but then I went against some undead and my weapons were barely doing anything to them, should I have brought some blunt weapons with me?

Also I’m finding the battlefield a bit hard to navigate, arrow paths for example make no sense, I’m aiming at some enemy that looks like it’s in clear line of sight and I’ll get a shield icon over one of my soldiers.

But there are some real strokes of genius here, the fatigue system in particular adds a whole new layer of depth, love it.

Depends on the undead. Skeletons you probably want blunt weapons, but zombies slashing tended to work better in my experience.

I’d look for people with good weapon skill upgrade potential to use “better” weapons. Before long you want to have 2 spears tops, usually for the ends of the line and even then it starts to fall off in potential against a lot of things.

Pure spearwall lacks damage and is also redundant IMO. You want a core front of speardudes but at least a couple of others with axes or maces etc. Also, once your guys get a couple of levels, consider switching at least one to 2-Handed. Be careful with your 2-hand wielder as the lack of a shield makes them squishy but they can really punch into the enemy if you use them right.I tend to shoot for an early game mix of 5 or 6 1H/shield, with spears as the 1H early phasing into axes etc. I supplement that with 2 or 3 archers (XBows are probably the way to go early) and 1 or 2 2Handed “flankers”. Use the spear wall to control the center of battle, use the archers to focus fire on high value targets, and use the flankers to… flank and chop stragglers / end-of-line dudes to bits. That is a good mix against the early foes like bandits and undead. Be careful against wolves and those nachzahr? dudes due to their speed.

Later on when facing mightier undead, goblins or orcs, you will need to use more advanced tactics and party composition, but early on a core of 1H/Shield plus some archers and flankers works nicely.

Free Lindwurm DLC launched.

Adds a new opponent with unique mechanics and loot: the Lindwurm
Adds a new set of Lindwurm-themed named armor, helmet and shield
Adds a new usable item: Flask of Acid
Adds a new Lindwurm-themed banner to choose for your mercenary company

PogChamp