Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

That’s true: I’m a Guaranteed Victory player on heavy strategy games but I enjoy Risky Victory on Beer N Pretzels games.

Got the Noble Contracts Ambition fulfilled. This really opens the game up. I never realized I needed to fulfill that Ambition to get the contracts.

I proceeded to attack an orc village for my first contract. I would have survived unscathed, but I decided to get risky and advance my maceman to take out a lone flanker. He successfully stunned him, but was then overwhelmed by a wave of orcs. I love the AI in this game. You take a risk, and you can get your hand cut off. He survived for a few rounds, but succumbed before his brothers could cut through the mob around him.

I don’t think there has ever been a game that so effectively captures the brutality of combat like this game. You feel invulnerable deflecting attacks, and then suddenly a flying orc stuns you and you get surrounded. The shield of metal has cracked. The blows start reigning in. Your armor takes most of it, but it is weakening. Once it breaks, so you will.

This. I feel exactly like this.

I wish after one of your birdgade dies that it showed more than just the name and kill numbers. I’d like to be able to see what his stats were so I can better realize who/what I lost.

That being said I completed my first successful trade ever! Felt so good. Had a place that got well provisioned and was able to buy salt and copper cheap. Then sold it in the next town for $100 profit per bundle. Since I’ve been getting crap for missions (go to some town that’s a 2 days ride away and they offer you a paehtic $160) so I come out even or in the hole, it was ncie to have an easy way to make a little money for once.

Bounties could really be handled better. For one, being able to pick up more than one contract at once would be great. Being able to send a messenger back to town instead of backtracking with the whole company would’ve been even better. Also a little more variety wouldn’t hurt, it feels like there’s a very strong bias towards some missions on specific map seeds.

Keep in mind I listed this as one of the games I most uninstall out of frustration then reinstall in that other thread…

I play with Random Late Game Crisis and with Permanent Destruction. And I choose Veteran Economic Difficulty, Beginner Combat Difficulty and High Starting Funds. And Ironman Mode.

My current game has Permanent Destruction on and three of the locations in the center of the map were destroyed so it means more traveling about.

As I become more experienced at this game I find I can manage the economic side better, but Veteran Combat Difficulty is a bridge too far. Though the guide @Bateau posted has a lot of helpful information, especially the formations for fighting different kinds of foes.

I’m finding that nets are a must in certain circumstances so I don’t ignore them as I have in the past.

Great game. I’ll probably keep uninstalling and reinstalling this for a long while.

One thing I’d change in this game is the ability to determine whether the mercs I hire have any redeeming qualities or serious flaws. I’d implement it as one of the higher level perks that is called something like “appraisal.” It makes sense that as a merc gains experience he would be better able to judge whether a potential hire looks promising or not. At a minimum not being able to tell if a guy has obvious flaws, like a club foot, doesn’t make sense to me.

Hiring all the low level guys to see their flaws and strengths is too expensive for me and rarely turns up anyone good enough to justify the expense.

I know there are clues provided, but as a merc becomes a veteran he should be able to know a promising merc when he sees one.

This guy showed up to help out. Sir Kuno is his name. Has anyone seen this helmet for sale? Gotta get me one of those.
swan

You need to kill knights of that faction (whichever faction is blue/white with swans) and take their stuff.

Boy, the map you get stuck on can make a huge difference. I’m on Day 40 and my team is doing OK, but I don’t think I’ll get ahead economically because there are all these peninsulas separating the coolest cities and towns. To go between most of them I have to cross water. The rest of the map is all segregated by mountains. Seems like it’s 2 days between most cities. About what day does the first crisis happen?

I must say it sure has been fun discussing the game with you all :)

The map makes a huge difference. I’ll generally restart if I don’t see a number of nice harbor towns to make travel easy. Trekking back and forth over mountains just doesn’t make for fun or profit.

Me too! I loved the mod for that very reason. I’ve been able to mod X-Com 2 to achieve the same effect, though it took a lot more tinkering.

One thing you can do is look for a really good starting map seed. There’s threads out there on the Steam and Reddit forums. Pick a map seed that sounds good to you and try it out. It should help a lot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrothers/comments/63fdw9/1004_seed_bank/

EDIT: Also, no, I don’t play with permanent destruction on. I don’t find that fun.

This is a rare game where the posts here make me want to play it, but gameplay videos fall completely flat. I tried the pre-alpha combat demo from almost 4 years ago. I won’t judge the game based on that, but I found nothing that compelled me to play.

I feel like it’s missing some audio-visual oomph. It’s hard to look at bobbleheads without thinking of Unity of Command with its satisfying sound effects for movement and combat. Battle Brothers is like the opposite of Darkest Dungeon, which has a terrible concept to me, but it looks and sounds great.

Here are additional map seeds that are post-Lindwurm release and should work. Some of these seeds have the Iron Lung trait for all three starting Bros!

@TimJames, you should give it a try. The sound effects seem fine to me, especially the death rattle of some foes crack me up.

I felt that way at first, then I quickly adapted to it. I play at high resolution so I have interface and battles at 200% size which helps a lot.

I also like how each wound is graphically mirrored on the brothers. You can tell at a glance which ones are really hurting in a fight. It’s pretty clever, really.

One thing I never know what to do, is where to put points. For frontline troops, sometimes something like initiative is +5 but HP, Melee, Def is only +2. Or Health, when to stop putting points into health to prop up defense or offense?

I haven’t seen any guides as to what to put points into and when.

I don’t know about when to spend the points where, but I’ve been using this spreadsheet that I found in a Steam guide for where to put the points. I change it up for my own uses, but in general it seems pretty solid.

Build Template

And @TimJames I felt the same at first, but quickly got over it. I’d really recommend a second look.

I’d seen that before. I’m curious, can one totally neglect initiative and resolve until say their offensive stat hits 70?

Should one boost defense instead of health until you hit the desired level (unless you roll a nice number for health boost)?