Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

It has been so much fun discussing this game with you all!

I wish we could convince the dev’s to make a paid expansion.

I agree. More stuff for mercenary company management! Also, some UI tools to assist me in implementing what I am planning.

Has Overhype said anything more about what they are doing? Last I saw they wanted to move on to a new project, have they announced what that is? (Couldn’t find anything doing a search.) Did Battle Brothers do well enough that they might go back?

Steam Spy says owners are a little north of 105K. That’s a good amount.

I’d bet nearly every one of us would buy some dlc from them.

Read this and weep, boys.

Yes, that is an honest to goodness masterwork Orc Weapon. Look at the stats on that sucker. Who cares about 5 extra fatigue when you are chopping bad guys into teeny tiny bits?

Wow! You should post a screenshot with whoever is loaded up with that monster!

This thread made me want to try the game again (I like it but always get distracted with something shinny). Started on beginner and got wiped in my 3rd battle. Stupid young orcs. I knew I wasn’t ready for them, I only had one shield, hardly any armor, and half my part of seven was still pretty badly injured. I figured I would give it a go, but it was just brutal. Didn’t help that I broke rank. Should have stuck with a line and a couple of spear walls.

Guess I need to read up and figure out some sort of strategy for next time.

They have indeed moved on to a new project. They haven’t announced what it is but posted a picture of some concept art months ago and it looks like it’s in a sci-fi or modern setting. The people in the art had legs and I believe they said it will have proper walking. They really haven’t said much of anything else. So, maybe a tactical game in a sci-fi setting (with proper legs).

They may revisit BB one day but I think they got somewhat frustrated by some of the technical decisions they made that limited what they could do with that engine going forward (it was their first game after all). I suspect they’ll do a Battle Brothers 2 sequel with a new engine one day before they go back and do DLC for the current game, but I hope I’m wrong.

So is there a tier of item above Masterwork? B/C I got this just now off of a Goblin City. I had to fight 47 goblins including 4 Shamen and 4 Overlords, but this item, it’s the best item I’ve seen yet:

You’ll notice it doesn’t have the red outline of a Masterwork item, but has a grey outline. Is this a legendary item or something?

I believe that is a Named Item, thus the Emperor’s Countenance for a helmet.

Wow very cool!

Since we are on the subject of “equipment.” Groan.

equipment

This game keeps kicking my ass.

Off to a great start, 10 mercs, four with Iron Lungs.

Took a two skull contract, thieves stole a local poobah’s tchotchke and he wants it back. Tracked the thieves down and it looked like 5 brigand raiders. No problem except that the five raiders also had a necromancer with them, unbeknownst to me. What I saw was a bobble head for a brigand raider with a red number 5 over his head.

Didn’t turn out well, since the necro raised the raiders my guys killed plus one of my mercs that they killed before I could get to him.

I haven’t seen a necro running with the living before.

That’s a specific encounter for that mission I think. The thieves stole the tchotchke for the necro and you find them at the point of exchange.

Need anyone’s help for my indecisiveness LOL :)

Noble War just commenced and I have excellent relations with House Horn, but they only have 5 locations (2 large plus 1 citadel).
House Rabenholt is stuck between the two rivals. It only has 4 tiny villages (just 1 citadel).
House Folsach is a monster and takes up the entire SE. They have 8 locations (2 large plus 1 Citadel).

Which (if any) War Ambition should take at this stage as I want to maximize gear farming from this war? Also I found two magic weapons and was wondering if I should buy them. They’re $10,000 apiece. A two-handed hammer and 1 handed flail. I have $30,000. I don’t have a 2 handed hammer yet, and one of my guys is a brute flailer so they seem like perfect weapons for my group… but then I’ll be in tighter money situation for noble war ($12,000 left over which may be plenty?) I still need a decent archer. Mine stink and can’t hit the broad side of a barn and I’m getting flailed in archer duels with decent opponents.

Thanks! :)

So, I generally struggle getting missions. And there are missions I haven’t unlocked yet, probably due to not having high enough reputation with noble houses. I guess I should scroll up and read something I think someone mentioned about ambitions?

But, should I roam more around the wilderness and look for random stuff to fight?

I really enjoy the game, but I think it would be better with a bit more structure on the world map.

@Jorn_Weines I always take what I think will be easy to complete ambitions before taking the noble house reputation one which will then allow you to get the noble contracts. In my current game I already had the renown to Get noble contracts once I took that ambition so I always have tons of missions if I move between houses. But I savescum a lot to make sure I always can complete missions and still I don’t turn any down. I just reload if I pick one that’s too hard. Otherwise check taverns (you can leave town and then go right back in for new tip for free) or ask for tips to find out locations of camps and clear those. Might get expensive just roaming the countryside at random. I’m pretty sure clearing camps gives more renown than random wandering groups.

Noble House War is kicking my butt. I’m not sure how people are farming great equipment, or maybe I chose the wrong ambition. Which Noble House War ambition do you suggest?

I went back to an older save and bought the magic weapons. But dang, I can’t hit the broad side of a barn with the 2-handed hammer. I hope I can level that guy up faster.

Oh I’m also curious. Why are Wildmen so desired? Was reading this guide even though I play on the baby difficulty and once again I see they say you need to recruit Wildmen. That 15% slower leveling seems bad. Since I don’t know what I’m doing here are my Ambition selections:

I think WIldmen tend to have good offensive stats. They also tend to have negative defenses though.