Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

My issue with masterwork pricing is that in typical games, exorbitant prices that you can only afford after hours of play is typically associated with game changing play.

I don’t consider a helm that has 50% more armour than normal helms a game changer. Given the masses they throw at you, a thicker helm basically buys you more safety, allowing riskier tactics and allowing you to experiment with other party composition.

If they are more relaxed in the pricing of the masterworks, my own opinion is that it’ll make for a better game for most people.

I have mostly wrapped up Warhammer Total War 2 and Subnautica so Battle Brothers is calling my name again. I love you little dudes!

Until one of you blokes gets a permanent injury that seriously diminishes your stats, they you are dead to me. Get your noseless face outta my outfit Mr No Nose!

I was mentioning above how the Noble War can really load you up with gear. Here’s the haul my day 80 dagger-sploit crew pulled out of a City Siege battle, my squad vs 18 regular noble army guys:

I noticed there are tutorial videos and I’m not a big fan of watching videos.

Does the game do a good job and introducing and explaining things in the campaign, or it is really recommended to watch the videos?

I think they’re super short? And no it doesn’t really, but as you’ve read the threads you’ve got the entire foundation you need to work from. I’d suggest you do some of the intro scenario battles to get a handle on that part of the game. Make ample use of spacebar to pause when on the map screen. There should be nothing but fun surprises in store for you ;)

I just did the intro to battle scenario and one of my guys lost their head, but the other 2 lived! Wow some attacks can do some damage in a hurry. The guy that died missed his 2 attacks that round and then got his head lopped off.

Five minutes are what I’d call short, the map and battle videos are over 20 minutes each :-)
Maybe I’ll start watching one of them. I really prefer in game tutorials or reading a manual - but maybe if the videos are succinct enough and cut to the chase they won’t be too bad.

Wait! Was there some changes? I thought it was impossible that any of the brothers can die in the intro… They should minimally get 1 HP remaining no matter how much the bad dudes rain on them.

When you do the very first battle at the start of the game you have 3 guys. Guy number one you don’t control and he just charges the enemy swings and misses then gets beheaded. Then you get to control the remaining two guys and kill the all the bandits except the leader, can’t remember his name, who gets away. When visiting the first town to collect your reward you have a choice to pursue him or not I always hunt him down and kill him. It’s easy money and experience.

I think you mis-remembered. You always start of with 3 brothers you can control. And I had thought that they can’t die in the tutorial, until robc04 had a different experience.

Edit: Ah I get it now, maybe robc04 was confused about the numbers in the tutorial? The one who gets the head lobbed off was part of the tutorial script. You always end up with 3 characters you can control. And they cant ever die in the beginning tutorial.

It was the stand alone scenario, not the campaign.

Doh! I didn’t even know that there was a scenario!

There isn’t. There also isn’t a campaign. There’s just the game which is more or less an open sandbox world simulation.

@robc04: Every new game always starts with your company in a scripted tutorial introduction contract. The first battle will always have all of your men die during the scripted part of the starting battle. Once the script ends, you get to control the remaining 3. Those 3 are the core of your company going forward which you will need to rebuild. Once you finish the battle (Hoggart always runs away), return to town to get paid and you can then take the 2nd part of the contract to kill Hoggert.

There is no real tutorial but the Overhype videos are a lot of fun to watch. You’ll learn everything you need to know from their Let’s Plays.

Thanks for clarifying. I was confused for a moment.

Just to clear things up, from the main menu I selected: Scenarios -> Combat Basics

OK, I’ll at least try their first 2 videos. I want to know the mechanics, but the rest I like to discover on my own. I don’t like getting help with strategies or anything like that.

Any questions you have just fire away! We’ll be happy to help answer any confusions.

Thank jp :-)

Thanks for clearing that up.

The game is quite easy to get into in terms of the basic mechanics. Enjoy the discovery process :).

I’ve started playing this again recently and I’m doing better thanks to tips from you guys, but it sure is brutal. I don’t like to lose any men, especially in an easy battle. I’ve got to remember how dangerous enemies with two-handed weapons can be.

Just think Darkest Dungeon. Sometimes, that poor dude is there so that he can buy you a turn to finish off that high value target!