Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

Wow, no has no idea. I need to go back and read all my old screenshots to see if the latter hires I had gave hints theyd be mediocre.

I learned too late as well to distingish properly between thugs, brigands, bandits, and raiders.

That’s incredible hehe. What a mess he is!

I’m enjoying this game,. The skeleton for a grand strategy game is there. Supplies, weapons etc, all ingredients for a good wargame.

I’ve been playing this quite intensely recently, and been doing quite well (easy though) and I was accumulating considerable gold, etc. I got a mission to clear out greenskins, got there and they were fighting amongst themselves. 26 Orc Young, but I was on a hill, so I won, with no losses.

Wonderful.

Then my next mission was to clear some Marauders away. I found them, just 9 Orcs.

easy I thought…

Well 4 of them were Berserkers.

Of my company of 12, 1 ran away, 6 were killed outright, 4 were knocked out and one, my indomitable Wildman, killed 3 Orcs.

I had 2 figures on the map at the end.

Of the guys who survived but had been knocked out 2 were traumatised, so were retired.

One of the dead was a companion.

I hate Berserkers, that is all.

Sounds miserable, but still a great game

I probably would have beat feet as soon as I saw there were 4 of them. Normally I try to pincushion berserkers with my ranged at all costs before they can close to melee range. Once they do, it’s gonna hurt. One or 2 I can manage. But 4 of them? Ugh.

Yeah, they’re the reason I try to stay away from the orc contracts.

Yeah they’re horrible but what an epic fight.

Balon the wild man was originally hired as chaff but he’s not level 5 and the best soldier I have.

And that fight got me a Berserker chain, which ofcourse only Balon can wield.

I think I’ll change his name.

Balon the Basher? Balon Orcbane?

This game is great. And it could so easily be a 4x as well. I mean, imagine being one of the noble houses and jockeying for power etc.

That’s my vote :)

He died.

He was bashed in by an Orc.

I hate fighting Orcs here but conceptually, I think they’re very well designed :).

Anyway, I think I have a solution to Orcs now. Basically, nets. They don’t cost all that much, 60 golds base, and I’m friendly with a fishing village, which means 57 gold per net.

I am outfitting 4 of my frontliners with spears, so counter the Orc Young jump thing, a variation of the formation mentioned in the guide linked a few posts back.

I tested it, without nets, and it worked on a force of 8 Orc Young.

I’ve just been given a contract to clear out some Goblins, so I have this formation, plus 8 nets now, and my backline of Archers and Crossbowmen have polearms and billhooks as secondary weapons, and do more damage than the frontline, except for my new favourite soldier, who has a 2 handed armour…

Balon’s chains got given to another promising fighter, so my left flank has the axeman and the right has the chains, 4 spears in the middle.

(axe)(spear,spear,spear,spear)(chains)

(xbow)(archer,archer,archer,archer)(xbow)

I should mention the spearman all have nice weapons as backup, so the spears are to dull the charge, then swap out weapons to maces etc, which do more damage.

This game can be so rage inducing, and then you get a good run where things just go well.

I’m in that good run now, have a solid team, and so far only one truly challenging fight, where people got traumatized etc.

I didn’t need ot fire them because they went and died in the next few fights, and luckily enough it was early enough that they were replaced easily enough.

Now in my game I have dyes and wool on one side of the map and amber on the other side. Makes for a good trade route.

I have 12 guys, and extra equipment, but I know from experience that things can go very wrong very quickly.

I got lucky fairly early with Bandit raiders attacking me in groups of 5 or 6, and dying, and leaving me equipment. I saved up enough money to buy a 2 handed warhammer. That thing…wrecks people. 60-90 base damage, in the hands of my best soldier, Siegfried the Killer with 23 battles and 28 kills to his name. Lvl 5, melee skill 63.

I think the key to the game is to have a few low level Brothers, that you kit out, whose sole purpose in life is to buy the rest of you time. If they’re armoured well enough they will survive a few rounds, maybe even the fight, like my latest guy to hit level 5 :O

Then you have your armoured core.

And don’t be afraid to switch weapon load outs for different enemies. I had a great great battle with a spearwall that the Undead just kept jumping onto.

In this game I ended up meeting Mercenaries on the road, and being ambushed by Zombies and Gheists.

Fort me, this is so far my favourite game of the year.

I can’t help but wonder what a well funded team could do with this framework. I am led to understand that the developers were a bit short of cash during the development, and that this drove alot of the decisions, namely the graphical modelling and the lack of moddding.

No doubt.

One thing I don’t think has been mentioned, or if it has I missed it, is the road events mechanic.

Things happen on the road and you typically have various options, which are dependant on the backgrounds of your brothers.

I had one event, where you come across a caged wildman in a caravan. If you have a Monk in your party it opens up a choice tree where the caravan owner dies, and you get the wildman as a companion, plus a dog and a falcon.

In another, I bought a map that would have been expensive toilet paper, were it not for the presence of a historian in my band, who could decipher it and unlock a new position on the map.

I love this!

I’m going to finish up my current mission, buy a round of drinks and go to that area of the map. Who knows what we shall find.

Good luck with the treasure at the location. And the battle there.

WHOA. I am hiring a historian for my next playthru! So cool!

I’m trying to hire at least one of every profession, except cripples.

@ shivax, in my current playthrough, my battle standard is basically the Grim Reaper :).

THIS GAME IS SO FRUSTRATING!

Ugh, started a new game on veteran/veteran and at day nine all was going well, then suddenly my guys are fighting four necrosavants. One moment they are walking in the wild, the next they are in combat, just like that. No warning. There was not a net in our stash, party wipe.

I’ve had these instaspawns happen before.

Uninstalled this game once again.

I know I will reinstall it again.

The devs seem conflicted. Once they released the game, they essentially said they’d be moving on to something else and no longer releasing additional content:

Development on Battle Brothers is concluded with today’s update – although we’ll of course continue to provide bugfixes, as necessary.

But in October of last year, they released the free Lindwurm DLC. And today, they announced this:

Personally, I’d love for them to continue to release new content, conflicted or not!

Hm, interesting. Sadly I lost a bit interest since the overworld/company management aspect is quite bare-bones/non-existing, but it is on my list of games to return to.

YEA!!!

I’ve installed and angrily uninstalled this game so many times. I should pay them for the cathartic release.

Whatever they have up their sleeves will need to be mighty compelling to lure me back in for another go.