Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

If it helps the word here is actually “beginner” rather than “easy”. It amounts to the same thing of course, but as you are probably a beginner at both the game and managing a company of sellswords, it’s probably closer to accurate picking it than Veteran. :)

We have issues :-)

It is indeed Beginner, while middle is Veteran. I’m technically a Veteran, just not a very talented Veteran.

If there were three skill levels : Unwinnable, Unwinnable But Harder, Unwinnable Deletes Hard Drive I would pick the middle one :(

Ike - you can actually do quite a bit in this game when low on time. Picking it up and continuing off is easy. I think this is a great game for those low on time as it is such a good thing to play in short bursts. Other strategy games like the Total War series, Civ, Endless Space, even Rimworld - you kind of need time to figure out where you were and to get going, then to finish a plan takes a long time etc.

For everyone else - do the tooltips feel a bit more invasive than before? LIke they’re annoying me as they pop up so fast. Have they always been instant?

Das is streaming the expansion as of this posting.

Apparently there were some perk changes? Anyone know before/after of them? I heard Brawny was changed and I stupidly forces all my dudes to have it before anything else of that tier and am wondering if I gimped myself.

There is a new perk called “resilience” and the devs say they have done a “balance pass” on all the perks. They talk about how they have changed the Hold Out perk here.

One perk I tended to skip is Nine Lives. I’m now selecting it on the first level up for my front line guys and I’m losing them less often.

And they introduced a new bro. “There’s a new character background in town: The Beast Slayer. Experienced in both melee and ranged combat against beastly opponents and monstrous adversaries, the beast slayer is a versatile background similar to the sellsword, but more affordable. Of course, he comes with his own events and interactions with other backgrounds, and some expert knowledge on beasts and their lore to share with you.”

Hmm. That is exactly what I am looking for. Something I can play in short bursts, like when I am having my morning coffee before work.

Thanks Jeff. I will buy it!

The patch notes don’t mention changing the nine lives perk. Did it change, or is there another reason you have switched to picking it
more?

Boughten. Do I have to know anything, or should I just jump in?

Also should I start with or without DLC?

The DLC made the game more accessible.

1. The armour enhancements allows for more gradual armour upgrades, making the difficulty ramp more gradual.

2. The weapons also increased in variety, making it easier to catch up with enemies also.

3. Economy difficulty is tweaked also to have less variance also.

If you are learning, pick easy starting funds, easy economy and veteran combat. That will give a nice challenge and allow you to more quickly get the funds for new toys :)

1. Start with DLC.

2. Keep your men under 9 men until you have some of them leveled up to about 4-5 and is rocking in combat.

I am quite convinced that the early ambition to get to 12 brothers is a mistake.

1. It makes players ramp the unit counts, they they have not properly learnt how to use formations to defeat small groups before they are thrown into the very vicious cycle of losing low end recruits.

2. The game scales combat to the units. So your group does not have brothers who can hold their own in combat before the game throws lots of units at you.

3. People underestimate the cost of equipping a single brother. Let alone 4 or 5 more! Low level and low equipped brothers is a death sentence.

4. Food and wage cost is increase with a big group. This is often overlooked. If your funds are not growing comfortably, do NOT add brothers without firing old ones. Increase them gradually as your economy picks up.

5. Smaller teams level up faster. Allow you to build a core of strong brothers you can rely on to make kills.

EDIT: By just changing the play-style to slowly increase the number of brothers until you are doing well in wages and equipment alone will carry you very much farther in progression.

Patched Retreat Mechanism

1. Now, we don’t have to move all the units to the border of the map to retreat without wounds.

2. The retreat button makes all the brothers auto move to the map edge and exit. I think it uses the enemy retreat AI and applies it on your units.

3. This may kill you if the enemy have units that move very fast.

4. To make it go fast, you can turn on “Fast move” for AI and Units in the options.

I like the new retreat because it makes it a lot faster. Especially useful when you are lowly and meet a group of Orc Warriors!

I say go Easy, easy, easy myself. Unless you want to hurt.

Absolutely get and play with the DLC. Ask questions and ask often if you have any doubts on stuff. We’ll help!

The Weasel trait. Is that only for after you’ve hit the retreat button? Or does that also apply when you move away from an enemy and he takes a swing at you?

The devs said that they gave all the perks a balance pass, but I don’t know more than that.

The Nine Lives perk is one I considered a luxury in the past but I lose guys so fast that I’m experimenting with it.

I see, thanks. Half of my firs 8 guys have died. I viewed that as par for the course, but maybe I should experiment with using it too.

Yea I somehow have to get out of my rut. This is what I always do for melee:

1. Colossus
  2. Fortified Mind
  3. Shield Expert or Brawny