Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

That is weird, I’ve never had the game give me wrong directions.

Also, I have decided I may not do Ironman anymore just because I don’t care to deal with some of the extreme height elevations in some maps. It can be the difference between an easy win or an easy wipe, based on the which side of the elevation you’re on. Then I can just do a reload from the autosave slot to get something a little more fair.

Yeah, I am not sure about ironman for that reason, but I don’t tend this to be a long play since I am waiting for the DLC. It is a lot more fun knowing I need to be careful and think things through though. It seems like every time I get cocky and rush through a battle, I lose a guy. I just need to force myself to not save scum on my next serious game.

I did save this current game. I found the location SW of the city like the original description said. Which was not in the area it said, and not in the tundra like people kept telling me it was. Still, it cost me a lot of money wandering like that and I haven’t recovered financially.

Why does this game have a scoring system, but no highscore list? Seems strange.

Good point. We need to as them to add that.

Part 2 of the origins preview is up. You can start as Raiders or a Lone Wolf :

raiders

lone_wolf

The penalty for losing your lone wolf avatar couldn’t be harsher!

I’m still looking forward to my band of dirty peasants!

lol, dirty peasants is the major makeup of my group every game anyways.

Day 1618 is just another day in the life of Hanzo The Deathdancer (1 v 27)

The artwork in this game is so awesome.

Agreed! I really like the look of the new warhounds.

I guess I’ll finally be able to live out my 13th Warrior dream!

They have got some gorgeous new famed equipment coming in. Filling in some current gaps (famed skeleton items), and adding new famed items for the new race as well. Even cooler is they are tweaking famed items to be even better than they currently are. Right now you can get a famed item and it not feeling very worth it. This will change.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-117-named-equipment/

Once again - I just love their artwork:

I finally got around to digging into this the last few days. Not making a ton of progress, but getting a bit further with each attempt and figuring things out.

I’m trying not to spoil myself, but have a few general questions:

Is the DLC worth grabbing right away, or should I wait and see if things start to feel stale?

Does the difficulty continually ratchet up over time, or is the endgame stuff triggered by your own actions? Last night I was on day 25 and lost all but 1 guy. He was level 4 and I had around 1K gold, so I could conceivably rebuild from that, but if a giant army is going to show up at day 100 and you have to fully utilize that time to have a chance, then I’d be better off restarting.

What difficulty settings do you find feels the best? Beginner felt a little too easy for most of the battles until I wandered into a lair of a skeleton army. But Veteran wiped me out before I could get a foothold going a couple of times. Current game I’m trying Beginner economy with Veteran combat.

I didn’t feel the monsters DLC added much. I didn’t find the battles particularly fun, and it makes some of them kind of tedious. Plus you need to worry about resolve a lot more for one monster types. I would get it, but I don’t feel its a must, unless you want something new. It can get boring fighting the same old stuff for 100 days without it, as it does change things up.

I played my first real game on beginner. The game is hard as you want it to be, but it still fluctuates. You can move up to harder quests a little quicker on Beginner, but you will still have some tough battles (especially if you have the DLC). Random encounters do tend to be easier on beginner, but again, it can fluctuate and you will run into some harder stuff. Beginner never got out of hand for me, but there were battles I just couldn’t do or I had to save scum a lot.

The mid/end game crisis also can be tough, even on beginner, if you aren’t prepared. If you have the basics down I would start a veteran game, it’s not so bad once you know what to expect.

Saving a game with only a level 4 character and 1k of gold would be slow and boring. You would probably need lots of caravan missions. Its not so much you will find a huge army on day 100 (but you will get a crisis), its that the only missions you could do will be boring. I wouldn’t bother myself.

I wouldn’t start with the DLC right away. It adds a number of fairly technical fights and can be a bit much when you’re starting out.

I’m not too sure if the endgame is triggered by you or is an independent timer, I think it’s a combination of both? From what I read it will delay if it thinks you’re not ready for it. I wouldn’t restart just yet, maybe try to recover and get a better feel for the mid game? Not everything that works in the early game works later, so it’s worth having some of that experience.

I play on all mid settings, but I still get my ass handed to me many times, even after hundreds of hours into the game. The game can be very finicky and mistakes can be hard to recover from.

• First late game Crisis starts around day 90-100.

• You will absolutely want to the DLC after you get the hang of the game. I can easily beat Alps, Schrats, Hexen, Unhold so if anyone needs help or tips for them let me know.

• I wouldn’t play Ironman to learn. It is too hard to learn technique when you can’t reload a battle to try different tactics if you keep having your company wiped out.

• Make sure permanent destruction is unchecked.

• I always play Beginner Economy - High Starting Funds - Veteran Combat Difficulty

• You have plenty of time to rebuild :)

So what is the secret to unholds? Two handed weapons, to deal damage quicker? They always heal up too quickly on me.

Nope :)

So you get an shield bro with Indomitable. Park him right next to the Unhold but don’t attack with him. Just use Indom each turn. That will hold the Unhold right there, and then he can’t do his swap or blow you back attack. Then you use multiple individuals with polearms, poleaxes, or ranged to take him out. You take them down one at a time. If there are more than 1 Unhold (usually is), then you set on shield bro to hold each one as you take them down one by one.

@jpinard is getting good at this. :)

I’ve got I don’t know how many hours in this and I’ve never made it past 30 days or so. I always seem to get caught in a fight that’s way over my head. What’s your early game company building strategy @jpinard (or anyone else)?

Such a good game. I keep coming back for more.

Edit: 120 hours. That’s what Steam says I’ve got :).