Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

Amateur. The pros Rage quit and throw the switch against the wall in handheld mode.

I can’t wait :)

And here it is:

Anyone played the Switch version yet? Curious how the port is.

Lots. I am afraid to look at how much I have played since release. It’s been about 20 days and I’d say I’ve averaged 3-4 hours a day, but probably played 16 on Sunday. :) There were some pathfinding issues that Ukiyo has already patched. There is still some stuttering when scrolling around, but I don’t find it too bad. I’ve had one crash in all those hours and no other issues. One contract location spawned in an unreachable spot (island), but since the patch that has not happened.

I have not played the PC version in years, partially due to a dead and useless PC for a couple years. So I was not coming in green and was still vaguely familiar with the mechanics and the difficulty. I have found it extremely enjoyable and I believe it’s a pretty faithful port. I’ve not been this “hooked” on a game in a while.

If I had to guess, the biggest drawback people coming straight from the PC will be the control scheme. Not having keys makes selecting some things irritating. Scrolling around and managing the inventory screens is a bit more cumbersome. Again, I’ll say none of these issues bothered me much because I am so far from playing on the PC (Probably 5 or so years). If you are expecting a mirrored experience having played the game regularly on the PC and done so recently, the irritation may not be worth it if you are just going to sit at home. I’ve loved every second though.

Of note, I have only played on my TV. I don’t take the Switch around because it really belongs to my child, so it stays at the house. As such, I’ve had no reason on desire to attempt it on the smaller Switch screen.

EDIT: Also, I’ve played on Beginner/Beginner with high funds as the difficulty was a bit rough as I correctly remembered. I’ve “Won” the Noble House starting scenario a couple times. So, I am kinda getting the hang of it. So trying to decide whether to step up the difficulty or try one of the more difficult starting points. After the first win, I went ahead and bought the DLC bundle. #ScrewLindwurms. However, I am enjoying playing at this level, so I started one last night on the same settings and will see if I can beat the Green Horde.

If anyone does stumble in here and doesn’t want to skim the whole thread for a good place to help jump start playing, someone who I am sure is mentioned somewhere in this thread is FilthyRobot. He is a Twitch streamer, but has tons of videos, too, and all of it is on YouTube. Some of it is a bit dated, but he played a lot and for a while up through most of the DLC content.

Awesome thanks for the info!

I never played on the PC and I am one of the few people that thought the Vita controls for Darkest Dungeon were fine so I am definitely going to give it a go once I wrap up my current game.

Oh yeah. I’m assuming you know of the difficulty and that you can’t play it like a lot of other turn based tactical games. But the inventory management, character building and battle mechanics are so good. It’s worth a lot of dying. :)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Trying right now to figure out how much I want to go online and look at strategy and guides and how much I want to noodle out myself. It’s the first game in a seriously long time that I’ve wanted to invest time in to learn more effective ways to play rather than my general method of finding one or two ways that mostly work and then just repeating them. This game really rewards you for time invested in thinking…a thing I try to avoid.

So I’ve continued to play this nonstop on the Switch. I just got a new gaming laptop after not PC gaming for a couple years or so and put all the DLC content on my wish list as it was not out the last time I played which must have been during Early Access.

It is celebrating it’s 6th anniversary and everything is on sale. I am guessing they did this just for me. (NOTE: It’s not a deep discount except on the base game, but totally worth it just for that.)

I’d like to buy one more DLC along with the base game. Among the 3 DLCs which one is the best or beginners friendly to get? Or should I just play the base game until I’m good or liking it enough to get the DLCs in the next summer sale?

The base game has plenty for you to get your feet wet and learn the ropes before adding more content. And missing out on a 10% discount for the DLC isn’t that big a loss. Like you said, you can wait until the next sale.

Good luck! You’ll need it. :)

Agreed with @Tyjenks, the base game is enough. The DLC, from my viewpoint, is just more difficult fights. It’s nice if you’re used to it, but not needed.

If you do want one more DLC, here’s my breakdown:

The hunting/beasts one is OK IMO but it depends on how much you like to do “search for beasts” missions and collect stuff.

The warriors of the north one adds some fairly cool northern barbarian foes and weapons, who are somewhere between bandits and orcs in style.

The desert one adds desert themed foes and weapons. I haven’t really played much with it.

Bottom line is, they are mostly more of the same, but for the beasts, which adds something a bit different but not everybody likes it.

Honestly the DLC are only OK IMO. The base game is the key good stuff.

Warriors of the North is amazing, because it provides 10 different origins to kill. I’ve beat the game twice, but I’ve lost over 95% of the games i’ve played. The game has always provided a myriad of ways to die, but 10 different origins means you have 10 different groups to kill, over and over. Seriously, the variety of different origins are pretty cool and definitely worth the price.

Wait, wait, so this is very rogue-like? You’re more than likely going to die along the way, failing miserably and killing off your entire party?

Can I ask how long the average attempt takes? And it sounds like easy is the best place to start, because the game is really hard?

Easy is definitely the best place to start, or even stay. You can easily die in the first encounter on Easy. So, you could die within 10 minutes of starting.

I’m no rogue-like expert, but there is a steep learning curve in the game of understanding the odds in a battle and knowing when to run away. Of course, this game can also have you starve and face desertion because your ran away too often.

Most excellent, thanks. I just picked up the DLC and have started the tutorial campaign on easy.

I’d suggest searching out some videos if you run into trouble. Don’t spread your guys out. Have sufficient armor. Invest in shields. Be patient. Easy settings are still very challenging.

Yeah, if I were going to recommend one, it would be this one. The Nomads in the DLC are a completely different beast and more challenging. Learning strategies to defeat the base game enemies is the best way to start in my opinion.

Thanks! This is super fun. I’m up to Day 8 or so. Have completed a few contracts. Lost 2 men so far, and an ear. Trying on Ironman mode, just because I want to smell the fear of my own death.

Is there a “win” condition? Is it to beat all four of the end game crises? (Not that I should be worried about getting there, but I’m curious what the end goal is.)

IIRC you can “declare victory” and retire after you’ve beaten one of the end game crises, or you can try to keep on chugging.

As to the end game crises, well they are generally pretty crisis-ey. They generally all feature some pretty nasty battles. The one that can yield ridiculous stacks of loot is the Noble House War.