Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

I’m constantly thinking of picking this up to play upstairs when I watch TV with the missus - but I am worried it’s a PITA to control/play on the handheld - you must not have had any serious issues of course - but would you recommend that version?

I’ve only played it on the Switch so I can’t do a comparison, but I had no problems with the interface after they patched out the bugs.

I usually put in the caveat about not having played much of anything in the PC for 2 or 3 years and that should be factored in, but, like Lantz, I didn’t have any problem but about my only frame of reference at the time was Switch and PS4 gaming.

If anyone has been waiting on a sale to buy this (or any of the DLC) - Greenmangaming has it all on sale as of today:
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/battle-brothers/

Also, here’s the promised update on the new DLC they were teasing last week:

It’s a free DLC coming March 10th.

Wow, that sounds really good - it’s crazy they aren’t charging even like $5 for this, I’d have probably paid for it and I will likely not even play it! :)

I am curious about the upcoming changes and balance updates they are proposing.

How did we miss this? Free DLC came out and the 1.5 update.

Messed around with the Oathkeepers start. It’s interesting but not groundbreaking. Of course a free DLC for an amazing game is always welcome but it didn’t change enough to make me really want to start another full run.

I took a long break from BB and recently returned and during my current run who should reappear but our old pal Hoggart the Weasel [in somewhat altered form]. Is this a new event? “He” shows up long after our first encounter.

FWIW, playing on Easy/Easy is the only way I can tolerate this game and make any progress and I am at peace with this admission. Even so the Ancient Auxiliary’s still wreck my guys in their mail armor.

They are a bastard.

If you have the extra DLC, those works are just ridiculously hard. It seems unnecessarily so.

The Blazing Deserts folks in that DLC are similarly stupid. I think most if not all of the expansions just made it that much harder, but maybe I just am too dumb to figure out how to fight them or have done so when they are too great in numbers. There’s tree things that seem to never take much damage.

If I start back, I may just play without the expansions.

I don’t remember - how do you turn off the dlc? I kind of share the general attitude that the dlc imposes too much difficulty tax for the content it adds. There’s an argument the base game is best.

That is the only way to go for me. Game was already challenging enough. So I did not purchase more pain.

I don’t know. I think I was just going to de-install it.

Is there a way to do that in Steam? (If this question should go to the Steam thread, let me know.)

Yes. Right click the game in your library and then select the DLC tab. Uncheck the box next the the DLC to uninstall it.

OK that works - when I launch the game it shows the DLC in the bottom left but they are Xed out.

So I installed the base game, started a new game on easy/easy, hired 3 guys to get up to a 5 man line (all with shields) plus 1 crossbow, took on a one skull mission v. Bandits, encountered 6 bandits and within 3 rounds, despite using smart shield line tactics, my best guy newly hired and not cheap!) gets one shorted and it just reminded me that although there’s absolutely great stuff in BB, the reason I quit playing was I got exhausted by the randomness and pain. End result: uninstall, probably permanent this time.

I would LOVE a game with BBs tactical crunchiness and a more predictable less masochistic level of balance. As it is, I’m done.

I’ve only ever played easy/easy and it’s bullshit how not easy it is. The difficulty should really be a cakewalk for folks that want that, instead of being what other games would call “hard”. I think my biggest complaint about BB is that if you don’t really investigate what and how to look for specific stats and talents for the recruits or level up your characters with a very nuanced eye on how to correctly build out your team, even on easy, you’re going to fail. It only sucks because the game is amazing and the world/setting is just perfect. I wish I was better at it, but I routinely seem to make the wrong choices and end up wiped or close enough to it I lose interest.

Here’s also the reality that the RNG can and WILL fuck you in BB. There’s too much randomness such that random bad luck fucking the player is inevitable, even with the most vigorous planning and the best builds

The only way around random bullshit like that is save scumming, which also makes the game feel like an annoying grind - as RNG will fuck you not just in general but with far too much frequency.