Battle Chasers: Nightwar

That’s interesting. I also noticed in old reviews they said that clearing dungeons on normal difficulty unlocks the others, while there is no unlock req now (and is actually a bit confusing).

Opinions on the Switch version?

Love it. Played about 20 hours. Beat first 4 dungeons. Unlocked 6 characters. It’s beautiful, combat is fun and engaging.

There are some things I wish were different. Load times into dungeons are a bit long. The biggest gripe is that characters you aren’t actively using (limited to 3) do not gain xp, which actively discourages experimenting with lineups.

How many characters are there?

6, I believe.

Will I finish it? I don’t know. That’s rare for me. But it’s helped pass the time on 4 long flights the last few weeks.

It recently got XB1X enhanced. Waiting for it to go on sale on Xbox.

Wouldn’t that actually enourage you to use different lineups? So that you level up the other characters?

-Tom

Not when you are doing content that is higher level than someone who has been on the sideline for a while. Either you have to go find some easier content to catch them up or just don’t bother. Now, I should mention that xp received is adjusted by level (the lower level you are = more xp) so it may not actually be a big deal if you can struggle through a couple of smaller fights to get people caught up some, but I’d much rather just have everyone keep pace and be able to swap them in and out without having to worry about it.

I’ve been really enjoying playing this on Switch and definitely recommend it. As for the XP thing, I definitely don’t change my party around and so far haven’t had anything really push me to experiment with the other characters.

Another thought on xp. You unlock new powers as you level up, but are blind to what they will be. You could say there’s incentive to see what every character gets as they level up, but that’d mean constantly shuffling your lineup. The way some people have complained about necessary grinding in this game (which I’ve yet to encounter) that doesn’t seem like a good idea. If everyone kept pace, you could see what new abilities a sideline character had and might think “hey, that’s cool, I want to try that out”

I think it’s a really solid game and a really solid fit for the Switch. I doubt I would have put in as much time with it if I couldn’t pause it or play it away from a desk.

How often do Switch games go on sale? I want to it on the Switch, but I am not willing to pay $10 more than the Steam version for it.

Sales (in general, not this game) are frequent, but are usually relatively modest (50% is unusual).

That is the so called “Switch tax.” Me, I don’t fret it. I am okay paying $10 more for a game that I can play whenever and however I want. And at this point of my life, time and convenience are way more important than $10. However, I still see the frustration. I still remember Microsoft pushing the $60 price point. At least with the Switch I am buying the ability to disconnect from the TV for my extra money.

Amazon had it for about $24 earlier this week (I grabbed it, even though I don’t really need another JRPG right now). It may (probably will?) still get lower than that during the Steam Summer sale, of course. But it’s not in the category of games that are going to take forever for the Switch version to get discounted.

Good point.it was actually discounted significantly on amazon before release, plus another 20% for their preorder thing, which I had done in October. When it finally released, think it cost me 26.

I looked on Amazon, they only sell it through 3rd parties. Mostly used.

Bought.

It will be played soon!

This was one of my top 5 games last year (#5):

It is grindy if you want to use all the characters and get all the achievements, which I did. But the aesthetics were just wonderful. I used CheatEngine to speed up the animations in battle, which are repetitive, and I realize that’s probably not available on Switch. But regardless the game is well worth it.

As you get further into it, there are surprises that you’d never guess in the 1st few hours. The story is trite crap, but the mechanics consistently surprised me.

It’s a good game.

I wanted to get this for Switch, but then I noticed it’s on sale for 6 American Dollars for the PS4, so yeah. #fathersdaymayhem