Battle ready swords

Ok, good. I feel a bit more comfortable now.

gamerwhat? (oh that stuff i can’t be motivated to bother following). Um no, i guess, and i never really troll, not quite. I was more looking for a reaction from manly guys in a manly thread that would honestly express their emotions in a more adult manner when discussing the bone…er i mean excitement they feel when talking about swords. I love the ‘art’ (both manufacture and use of) and ‘history’ of swords 90% more than the ‘power trip’ aspect, but maybe a lot of guys DO live in Narnia in this respect and that fantasy is what it is about for them?

And if so would they be more or less likely to get all frothy about the gamergate stuff? (ok that was trolling!)

Fair enough, I’ll let you off then and amuse you with a funny and relevant pic.

Great video, fascinating to see those techniques in (as close as our understanding can recreate it) real use, rather than movie choreography.

I don’t understand how swords give someone a power trip. Guns I understand. Every shooting range I’ve ever gone into has a big fat 400 lbs.+ neckbeard who is talking guns, guns, guns and home intruder fantasies with the clerk. Swords? Kinda seems like you are collecting antiques or something. I’ve never thought of them as empowering.

It’s when the discussion turns to how one would best use it if THEY got into a fight, or how one would totally be able to survive if for some reason we accidentally regressed to a pre-industrial society one night and had to use them in order to fight off everyone else that it gets awkward.

Yep, you got me, I started this thread because I’m looking to by a sword in order to compensate for a tiny dick. Also, I am gay and like cock-shaped objects, it turns out. You have ousted me from my comfortable closet! Well, I better have a chat with my wife and kids now. Sigh. I better trade in my car for a massive truck, too.

I just thought it would be a cool thing to have hanging on my wall, but I don’t want some cheap knock-off, I wanted something quality. Hence the thread.

I just assumed you were a collector, not a rogue SCA member. Thus my impression of your penis was not negative.

…wait…that came out wrong.

edit: yes, I did accidentally write SPCA initially, but corrected it shortly after seeing the mistake. Although I do have to admit to feeling a sense of justice was at play when envisioning Michael Vick being chopped to death by a group of longsword wielding bulldogs.

Exactly, the creepy comes in when the sport goes out. Very few sports these days don’t have an ancient war or war simulator history. Also, I don’t really think that the neckbeard would be skewed towards guns when the other hand is medieval fantasy.

Funny you should say that, as this guy is internet famous. http://www.youtube.com/user/bbillyk/videos

Fits your criteria perfectly :D

Well in the virtual schwartz waving contest where everyone picks their favourite sword and style, new or old, I’m the chap who turn up with something sharp on the end of a pole, or something blunt and heavy if its a smaller space.

…or knives.

I find it weird but not manly, but I own an old decorative sword that is good for roasting marshmallows and hotdogs. My wife owns Chinese Broadswords for martial arts purposes (scimitar looking things with a ribbony thing coming out of the handles)

Cool to watch her do her sword set.

Date night in the Moore household…

It’s not necessarily creepy, it can be just romantic and innocent. But it can be creepy, it depends on a peculiar kind of intensity, normally easily spottable.

We contain multitudes and all that - we have these aspects in us. Indulging them in a way that’s always under the aegis of reason and better judgement isn’t necessarily a bad thing, whereas either indulging them irresponsibly or repressing them might be.

nerds talking about battle-ready swords is always fun… or cause for concern

Yeah…sort of a mixed bag of emotions and feelings that can go either way. On the other hand i could totally survive in 2100 when oil is depleted and civilization collapses, i’ve got my sword moves down just so, and my bostaff skillz:

or more like this maybe:

Sorry it was not disrespect to your thread! I was just saying how the fine line these threads can tread often leave me feeling a little awkward. Actually this thread has been very good so far. I will bow to my sensei! :)

Edit: and in a show of good faith, once i have my sword back home with me (it has been at a Tai Chi training friends place for a good few years!) i will post some pics of it for us all to gawk at (…slightly uncomfortable), as it is a rare piece and i have not been able to find pics of it online, not since Wilkinson Sword sold their sword arm.

So it’s Wilkinson Razors and Gardening Tools now? That doesn’t slip off the tongue too easily.

Anyway, I’m still sure that there are better alternatives to swords.

OK, I think we can agree that this a pretty nerdy thread. But one has to wonder… could it be even nerdier somehow? This is the Internet so the answer is an unqualified “yes”.

A group of GURPS enthusiasts took the NYT video I linked to earlier and showed how the GURPS fighting rules fit the main fight in the video exactly.

That is a great pic, from a great film (one of Arnie’s best?). And yes there is more to hand-to-hand melee weapons than swords! Probably if my life depended on it, a sword (unless short) would be down the list on what i’d rather use (hammers are good! just not great big ‘fantasy’ ones like in the pic!). knives are pretty cool too ;)

I would think even better than a sword, would be an aluminum baseball bat. :)