Battle ready swords

Is the length correct? It looks shorter in your picture.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I haven’t pulled out a tape measure to compare my sword blade with the specs on the web site, but I suspect it’s the wrong blade and likely the wrong length, too. It fits in the scabbard, but I assume that’s a separate process to fit the sword to the scabbard.

I’m starting to think I have this (one-handed) sword’s blade on my two-handed Norman hilt. https://darksword-armory.com/products-page/medieval-swords/medieval-knight-sword/

That sounds screwy. So what length is the blade you received, and what length should it be? Let us know how the email stuff goes. Very annoying for you i’m sure, and i hope it was just an honest mistake kind of thing that can be rectified.

That sucks. Follow through and get what you paid for.

Well, I was wrong about the length - it’s within half an inch of the specs on the web page. Just the wrong blade/shape. Hopefully I’ll hear soon from them!

EDIT - “here soon from them”? Good grief.

Tin, nice. Worth a virtual high five.

It’s cold out; not really the sword’s fault.

If those are handcrafted blades (as opposed to machine cast/stamped etc) then there maybe an area of individual uniqueness to them (probably blacksmith dependent)? One advantage of having the longer fuller might be a lighter stronger blade, so it might not be all bad, but i can understand being a bit miffed at getting something you were not expecting.

The one I have is the shorter fuller, and it’s shaped wrong. I mean, it’s a cool sword but it’s not the design I chose. :(

There is going to be some variation in a hand crafted blade, but that isn’t even the same design as the one on the website.

Ah. Pardon me, reading error. Yours is the one with the shorter fuller, ah ok. Well yes, to be honest i also prefer the look of sword in the center pic, nicer shaped blade (imho). See what they say, although i can imagine these might not just be hanging around on shelves to easily ‘swap’ and send off!! Keep us updated please :)

Thanks, I will keep this thread updated as I hear anything. So far no word, but I don’t know how often they check their e-mail at that address. Daily, at the least, one would hope! I’ll give them today and then tomorrow I’ll call them. I would think they want to make every customer happy - they can’t be getting like dozens of sales every day or anything, that they can just shrug off an unhappy first-time customer, I’d assume?

Update - I heard back from Darksword Armory and they actually are being super cool about it. The guy I spoke with said replacing the blade with the proper one is not a problem at all, and he gave me instructions on how to properly ship this back to them, and even said if I let them know how much shipping was he’d reimburse me through PayPal. I’m off to get it the package prepared and shipped now! I’m hoping if I drop the idea they’ll give me a belt for my trouble! :)

So, what happened? They stuck the wrong blade on the sword?

Well, technically, that would be like putting the wrong car on your tires.

He apologized and was quick to take it back and put the right blade on, but he didn’t go into details and I honestly didn’t feel the need to press for them. I was terribly curious of course, but I assume it was just a mistake, perhaps someone new worked on this sword or something. Who knows. It will take like a week to get to him, and then probably another week to get mine back, but I’m pretty happy with the customer service and the blade itself was just incredible, so I’m actually already planning on picking up my next sword in 2015 from them at some point. The craftsmanship was stunning enough that I damn near just kept it, I enjoyed it every time I picked it up.

This guy

Did you remind him to sharpen it this time?

I’m curious what you plan to do with these swords. Are you just going to hang them on the wall, or do you plan split some logs (or similar) with them?

I’m not trying to be snide or anything. I’d love one myself, but I think it’d just end up on a shelf or something.

Many people collect crappy knockoff swords and display them. Some people collect real swords and display them. And there is a subset of the second group that sincerely appreciates a weapon, a real weapon, for its own merits. Quality manufacture, balance, and esthetics. I for instance own two guns. Both are quality weapons. There is a certain pleasure in holding them, examining them, cleaning them. But I am lucky. I can go down to a shooting range and actually fire them.

I have no plans for killing anyone. I also realize that there is a small fraction of a possibility that I may have to use them in my own defense. That’s why I learn how to use them properly and safely.

Someone with a true battle ready sword also has opportunities to practice with his weapon. But there is a stigma attached. You have a sword? What are you, some kind of nut?

Both swords and guns are tools that are looked down upon. Swords moreso, but still. A finely made sword is a piece of art. To own one and to appreciate it is a joy in itself.

LOL I did! He said he’d review the blade and see if it was sharp or not, but he pointed out I’d be getting a totally different blade and assured me it would be sharp.

It probably depends on the person - for myself it’s a bit of “collection” and “historical curiosity” merged with "grew up with movies like Beastmaster and Conan and “have been playing Dungeons and Dragons since I was 12” type of deal. Hey, when I was a kid all I wanted in the whole world was a sword. Dad compromised by building me an awesome wooden one, that I played with for months before an errant blow against a cinder block crippled it.

Aside from the fun of “cutting tests” with a real, live blade (which is actually a lot of fun) it’s (for me) the excitement of being like “I have a sword - no, not like a cheap replica of something from a video game, I mean like a real sword, hand forged with high carbon, one very closely identical to one wielded by the Norman people” type of thing. I may hang this and the scabbard from the wall in my den, or get a nice little stand and hang naked blades from it if I keep collecting them. It’s kind of an expensive hobby though, so I don’t believe I’ll go too deep into it. There are always better ways to spend what small “fun money” I actually get in a given year.

Lastly, the deciding factor for this was when my cousin pointed out that while a video card or a bunch of digital games come and go, fancy mechanical keyboards will eventually break down and be replaced, and etc. a sword will always be a sword, and if taken care of could even be something I pass along to my son someday. So I went with a sword.

Never strike a log/tree with a sword! That’s what axes are for! :)

Only strike a tree with a sword if it’s an Ent that’s trying to kill you. And even then, you should probably just run or fireball them from a safe distance.