Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

The answer is the reason I asked. Under the medal are three blank spaces. The blank space fills up with a yellowish bar as you progress. I asked about the dependency thing because the middle one (for headshots) wasn’t filled up at all and I had been getting tons of headshots. Boo urns I say! That’s much harder.

For those of you playing multiplayer, are you playing primarily with people you know or just dropping in solo?

I’m really struggling to find enjoyment in the multiplayer, I really want to like it but my days if twitch shooting are long over and even when I try and focus on medic/support I still find myself mostly just running around getting killed shortly after spawning or running after some random trying to toss heals and then getting smoked. Any advice to make this more enjoyable?

Maybe play Operations if you haven’t yet. It doesn’t seem to be as chaotic to me since the battle is focused in 1 sector around a couple capture points at a time instead of the whole map being in play. So far I’ve just jumped in solo.

I hit rank 45 last night, the Empire’s Edge map is just fantastic. We were doing pretty crappy the first half of the round, down in tickets we get the Battleship, finally capturing and holding all the points around C and D castles, the assault on that hill top from all sides was glorious.

I solo play most of the time, unless I see someone from Qt3 or BF on, then I team up. Sometimes I even use voice chat in addition to the whistle!

The secret is to find a good squad and don’t be afraid to switch squads after dying if you didn’t like the way they were playing.

It will be much better once they resolve the auto-locked squads problem.

Thanks for the tips, how do unlocks work in this game? Do you get better guns/gear by ranking up or does everyone always have equally good fun choices?

I’m already pretty bad but if the better players also have better gear I’m even more screwed:)

Each rank you achieve gives war bonds to buy new weapons. They can be bought in just about any order you want, unless they require a specific class rank (scout,assault,support,medic) all have special unlocks at level 2,3, and then 10.

Yeah auto-locking squads was one of the rare genuinely bad calls they made in BF1 which is otherwise an exemplar of getting virtually everything right.

Ok cool so Warbonds but better weapons or just different ones? Like do they do more damage? More accurate? Or just look/sound different?

Despite being about WWI, this as modern a military shooter as you can get. That means that the guns are all more or less balanced, but people will grouse about which has a better firing rate, accuracy, more useful in situation X, is clearly overpowered or underpowered, etc. It’s basically the same as comparing character classes in an MMO.

That means, that yes, there is usually going to be one weapon that the community agrees is the all-around “best” gun to use. It also means that for at least a year, you can expect the devs to alternately nerf or buff weapon balance, causing upheaval to hardcore players every few weeks.

I’m having a hard time resisting this as I love WW1 planes, but when I watch the videos I cringe. Parachutes? Shooting through the props with the rear gunner? Ahhhh it hurts my brain. ;) I think I’ll end up playing it anyway and just forgetting some of the historical accuracy. It will be hard though.

Not a single order from a squad leader yet tonight. :(

Wait until you play the flier campaign… Dogfights with Fokker DR1s over the London Bridge…
Having said that, it’s a bloody awesome game. Playing the Amiens campaign is fantastic, retreating from the battlefield to the farmland and then the city.
The gameplay is still too twitchy and fast paced for my liking but I keep coming back to it. The best BF in the series since 1942.

Yeah, even an old geezer like me, who finds the speed of these games increasingly, well, increasing, can have a blast here. As long as, um, I don’t care that much about stats. The game is so rich in atmosphere, so visually compelling, and so nicely crafted in nearly all respects that it sort of transcends the twitch.

when choosing a class for respawn it shows me how many I have in the lower left. will tell me what step I’m on and progress of that step. Like 2/3 challenges, 4/5 headshots for example.

Yeah, I noticed that there is a little medal in the lower left of the screen that shows you your progress on that step

I’m guessing there’s no Commander mode / position in this, right? Is it just squads and squad commands?

Correct, commander is gone.

Hmm I think I might have to bite on this one. It just looks like so much fun even though I don’t play online games much anymore. Now I have to decide if I want it on the PC or the PS4… Hmmm

Not to poo poo on the thread or folks enjoyment, but I thought I’d offer a counter weight for any fence sitters. Battlefield seems like a generational merge of CoD with early Battlefields. This is good in some of the ways others have listed. I find it is also bad in other ways.

I find this one incredibly chaotic with death, respawn, and charging to retake whatever abandoned point was just lost. It’s often frustrating and soulless. It feels not quite lone wolf, but maybe lone pack as you have piles of people doing their own thing in mildly similar directions. I’ve tried to put my finger on it, but to me, it generally feels very unfriendly to team play.

In a way, I think this element carries the theme of WWI considerably more than the reskin as life is very cheap. With squad respawn moving “front lines” (there really never is a front or flank) constantly, quick movement, and short TTK, it starts to carry the death match in a closet of CoD, but the mild objectives and vehicles of Battlefield. I think this tickles the desire for constant action of the player base. To me it further distances it from the team or tactical feel that I had in MAG, BF 2142, or the Bad Company 1/2.

Basically, I currently regret my purchase. I will maybe give it more time later. Maybe the teamwork of MOBAs and quasi MOBAs have poisoned me. I was looking for more out of a team experience than (granted, speaking a little hyperbolic) just a spawn point to shorten my walk to combat. It’s not a bad game, I just don’t think it’s my game.