Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

Ya, the only thing that’s remotely noticable is when someone kills you, and you see that they used a fancy named gun to do it.

On the one hand, I appreciate that the gun cosmetics aren’t Call of Duty bacon skin or dayglo zebra stripes level, but on the other hand, they’re just a wee bit indistinguishable.

They need intense particle effects! :p

I grabbed this for the PS4 on Friday after realizing my computer just isn’t up to snuff anymore. Had a blast playing over the weekend even if I’m not very good at it. And ya I don’t get the battlepacks at all. I’m too busy doing things to stare at the detail of the guns in the first place.

I really want to like this…but I am so bad at FPS games these days! I’ve tried to stick to the Medic class and focus on healing squad mates but I just die so fast I’m a pretty ineffective medic. Like literally the only time I can get a kill is if I get the drop on someone and they’re distracted and maybe a teammate helps me:) 1v1 or a fair fight and forget about I’m done. I can’t seem to get a hang on the aiming model either, I’ll have a shot lined up and spend an entire magazine spraying shots without a single hit or if I do hit them it seems like I’m doing maybe 1/3 of their health in damage while they kill me quite efficiently.

I like the idea of Battlefield, of these constantly shifting objectives, different classes all contributing to a win, but in reality I’m just dying so fast I spend most of the game staring at the respawn screen.

Have you tried the support class?

You can help out like a medic by repairing vehicles, or by resupplying ammo to people. Everyone loves more ammo!

The starting LMG is pretty good, and the optical upgrade is only 200 warbonds and puts a scope on the gun for medium to far engagements. You get points for suppressing as well as killing, so that’s helpful. The bipod can assist with the spammy nature of the gun. Additionally, LMG’s in this game get more accurate the longer you fire the weapon!

For straight-up run-and-gun the assault class with a shotgun is aces. The shotgun has decent spread so it requires less accuracy, and it’s still deadly at ranges longer than you’d think.

@Telefrog thanks I’ll give the Support class a try. Actually I should probably give all the classes a try before I write his game off. I just figured since I was so bad at keeping myself alive as a healer, an attack class could only be worse! :)

@agapepilot, the Medic is actually one of the harder classes to play, especially for a new player. Healing teammates at the right times requires some decent knowledge of the flow of engagements.

First, you need to develop the discipline to not try to heal every icon that pops up. Sometimes it’s a bad situation for you, the medic, and at other times it’s a bad situation for the person you’re trying to heal. Nothing is more aggravating than getting resurrected in the middle of a raging firefight in a tight space.

Second, the default weapon on the medic, the Cei-Rigotti, is not great. It’s okay when you’re paired up with a buddy, but it’s the pits alone. You’ll almost always lose a one-on-one battle. On the flip side, the Mondragon is one of the best guns in the game, so people expect veteran medics to do some damage while lone-wolfing it!

That’s all great info! So um how does one figure this stuff out on their own? Just repeated plays since I’m not seeing any sort of explanation of how to play each class anywhere in game.

Take this as you will.

I am calling it now, Armored Horses! :D

Few things that should be nerfed IMO:

• two gas grenades (ALTHOUGH I LOVE GAS AND I GOT A GAS SERVICE STAR) is probably one too many.

• shotgun seems OP.

• AA is most definitely ridiculously OP vs. air.

I’d add in some kind of nerf to Mortars and maybe lowering how fast medics can rez. The med-trains that get rolling are pretty insane sometimes.

Yeah. Definitely. Especially against the blimp. Because… apparently people just don’t know to attack the effing AA from the blimp.

I think a fix might be to allow the AA to get destroyed, and need repairs, like a vehicle, to be re-used.

Ya, in my experience, when I was in the blimb, I just ruined the AA on the ground.

One thing that’s fun though, is sniping guys off the guns in the blimp, with a rifle from the ground.

Oh yeah mortars. And the early super fast shooting Assault gun seems a little too good as well.

I loved Mag, Bad Company 1/2 and BF2142 and disliked BF3/4, so guess I’m out - unless I got it for really cheap, like 5$ or something.

Funny thing, since basing it in WW1 the rush of players to their death, respawn, rush death is finally “realistic”. Was so annoying in earlier games when team mates would just rush ahead instead of defending and/or advancing slowly.

• Hardcore servers coming
  • Balance changes to Suez
  • Custom games kicking off with Fog of War
  • Free map for everyone, Giant Shadow, coming in Dec

[quote]
Prepare to take part in the Battle of the Selle in the cold autumn of 1918. Here, the fighting moves out of the trenches and into open country where a massive crashed airship casts its shadow onto the battlefield. The British forces have broken through the Hindenburg line and are now in pursuit towards an important railway center. Fierce infantry and tank engagements ensue on the open ground and river banks alongside the Cateu-Wassigny railway where an armored train can still turn the tide. Giant’s Shadow will be coming to Battlefield 1 as part of a free update in December.[/quote]

Huh yeah Suez was a bit nasty. Good call. No talk of weapon balance though.

Patrick Bach is leaving DICE.

[quote]
“Patrick Bach has been a great colleague to many across DICE and EA for almost 15 years. We thank him for all of his contributions, especially to our Battlefield franchise and community, and wish him all the best on his next adventure.”
– Patrick Söderlund, EVP, EA Worldwide Studios

“I’ve had an epic ride at DICE and EA, filled with amazingly creative and passionate people, and unforgettable experiences with our player community. I’ll certainly be playing Battlefield 1 for a long, long time to come, and I look forward to seeing what’s next from the incredible team at DICE.”[/quote]
– Patrick Bach