Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

Free to play for 12 days then? :)

I really like how much all their work on the background audio adds to the game. I was sitting in the ruins of A on Monte Grappa when I hear two players screaming “aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAHHHH” in the distance and it builds up till the bodies of two pilots fall out of the sky and land right in front of me.

Quitting doesn’t even work, just puts me in an endless load screen. How hard can this be to implement correctly???

There’s no quitters in war son!

I think this is an engine thing. BF4, Hardline, and Battlefront all have similar issues. There’s just really no good way to quit between rounds. The games insist on loading the next map before letting you quit.

Last night, I played a round of Operation and I notice that hitting QUIT is just a placebo. From the length of time it took for the game to actually quit, I assume it’s just loading the level anyway.

Only in Battlefield.

So my friends and I just got a refund for this. We played for a few hours, most of which was spent on a rinse repeat cycle of dying and respawning at the hands of horribly stacked teams. I’m talking teams of level 40-100 players stomping teams made almost entirely of single-digit noobs. We were often outnumbered too.

I can’t think of a more dispiriting and disappointing multiplayer experience, this coming from someone who’s played pretty much all the previous Battlefield games (and plenty of other online shooters over the years). It was just a colossal clusterfuck and hopelessly unfair. Is there any kind of team balancing? I’m more angry at the veteran players enjoying the game at the expense of the enjoyment of newer players. That grinds me gears like nothing else.

So we quit out (using Alt + F4 because quitting via the menus takes an obnoxious length of time) and just sat there on Windows speechless. As a support and assault I just felt utterly ineffective. My mortars were pretty fun, as were the gas grenades, but I could not for the life of me land any shots with my Lewis gun, short range or long, from the hip or down the sights, stood, crouched or prone. My squad mates who played as a medic and scout/assault felt the same.

I feel sorry for my buddy because this was his first Battlefield and major online shooter experience and he was so pumped about it. In fact, it was him who convinced me and my other friend to pick this game up at almost full price, which is pretty unheard of for us.

There’s a lot we loved about the game but in the end we just found it hugely frustrating unfortunately.

DICE is not awesome at building balancing for their games, which is why virtually every BF3 and BF4 server had a third party balancing plugin. Since that’s not possible in BF1 – all servers must be rented, and I don’t think plugins are allowed – DICE needs to get on top of their game here.

I haven’t seen multiple games get stacked but I have seen individual games degrade as one team starts losing, the quitters materialize, and it snowballs from there.

Weird. My experience has been overwhelmingly that of close matches, often times down to a dozen tickets between victory and defeat.

It depends on the mode. I see a lot more failures of matchmaking and balancing on Rush, for example.

Fair enough. I generally only play conquest and operations.

Giant’s Shadow trailer. Premium owners and players that pre-ordered the game get Giant’s Shadow on Dec 13th. Everyone else will get it for free on Dec 20th.

A crossbow shooting a grenade.

What the fuck. Yes, I’m sure that it appeared at some point in the actual war in 1918 in the hands of a single Austrian Alpine Unit located somewhere in North Tyrolfuckistan, but seriously, come on.

The only one I found was this:

Edit: I guess there was a German one more like the kind in the trailer.

In-game it’s a Support gadget.

[quote]
With Giant’s Shadow comes the Grenade Crossbow, a powerful addition to the Support class’s arsenal. Based on one of many unique contraptions from the Great War, this gadget can silently fire two grenades of either the Fragmentation or High Explosive variety.[/quote]

That looks like a fantastic weapon, and being support class, pretty much unlimited ammo!

Patch Notes , saw these posted on NeoGAF:

http://pastebin.com/MRYABYZA

First bits of info for the upcoming French DLC:

Coming in March.

Inspirations were Fort Vaux, Verdun, Battle of Soissons.

Is it true they are going to add a SURRENDER option for the French side in all game modes? :)

*And yes I know its WW1, and they fought the longest of any allied participant.

I just started playing the campaign and it’s…uneven.

Seemed like everyone raved about it, and its presentation is amazing (both the gravitas it attempts and technically), but I feel pretty lost about how I’m “supposed” to be approaching this.

I’ve only played the first main mission so far - with the tank crew and dense forests - but I can’t tell if I’m “supposed” to be stealthily taking out these encampments? Is it even feasible to do so? I keep screwing up and alerting everyone.

Then after my tank breaks down there are lookout towers I can climb to scope out each area before stealing tank parts from them - but it seems like I don’t need to. Also the ladders for those towers are awful and I’ve accidentally fallen off of them multiple times now.

Then apparently there are 5 collectibles scattered throughout the level - but these levels are massive - how on earth is anyone actually supposed to find those things?

I also encountered a moment where the game glitched out - where I needed to repair the tank but I didn’t have a repair tool, yet the game kept insisting that I hold RT to repair the tank. Instead, I needed to run back to the encampment we just took out and search every crate for a repair tool, all the while my crew is yelling at me over and over again to repair the tank.

Overall this isn’t exactly the greatest first impression for what’s supposed to be up there with Titanfall 2 as one of the best shooter campaigns of the year :-/

I think you start with a repair tool but you might have swapped it out at some point. I wasn’t terribly stealthy in that mission either. The flying campaign was fun for me though. I also played some of the Gallipoli. But MP is just too fun to stay in SP for long.