Battlefield 1 - DICE, gas attacks, biplanes, cavalry, bayonet charges

Yeah not gonna happen, they already committed to this crappy path years ago. But note that Battlefront II is indeed handled differently, so presumably this will be “fixed” in the next Battlefield after Battlefield 1, maybe in 2020.

Oh, I know. They realized too late on this one.

Unlocked the one scout gun that is semi-auto. Fun gun but OMFG the recoil is insane. Good luck shooting anything farther that 20m away. It mows people down close range which i guess is the point. Going to work on the assault and support ones next. Right now it’s easy to find matches so I’ll enjoy it while I can.

IMHO all these perks are pretty underwhelming, to the extent that they’d be hard to even notice. Suppression, in particular, never meant much when I played, because the delay between supressed and dead for me was very short indeed.

There’s definitely a lack of meaningful levelling up or progression. I guess they are worried about maintaining balance.

On suppression, people bitched incessantly about it, but I feel BF3 launch suppression (screen blurring) was the best compromise.

The Frostbite engine is so fantastic. These levels have never looked better.

Hope to spend some time with this over the weekend. Gotta find my Dr Zhivago soundtrack to play in the background.

The Fedorov Avtomat is my favorite addition so far. I was just mowing people down left and right with it. It’s actually kind of ridiculous how good it is at medium to close range. Just have to be gentle, as laying down on the trigger will have it flying all over the place.

I’m unclear as to what “Battlefield 1 Revolution” is supposed to be.

I thought they had renamed the In the Name of the Tsar DLC, but instead it seems to be some kind of Game of the Year edition that includes all DLC packs, including future ones, plus the deluxe edition upgrade?

Whatever it is, it’s 33% off on PSN this week.

Well derp, for some reason they decided to end this particular sale on a Sunday instead of on Tuesday. So much for waiting at the last minute to get a sale…

Damn, that is looking fantastic. Did they ever optimize CPU usage?

https://www.battlefield.com/news/update-notes/october-2017-update

• Operations mode now available in server browser
  • Added options to turn off the Chromatic Aberration and Photographic Film Grain Noise
  • Selecting a friendly soldier or vehicle in the deploy screen will now show their current health as a circular bar around the selected icon.
  • Changed the Ottoman Standard Issue Rifle from the Martini Henry to the G98. This is more historically accurate, and should be a better matchup against the British SMLE.

Turning Tides map DLC info:

Split across two months
December - Cape Helles and Achi Baba
January - Heligoland Bight and Zeebrugge
British Royal Marines

Damn, this game had had a lot of DLC. I wish I knew that before deciding not to get a season pass months ago. Would have extended the life of the game for me.

I finally completed all the basic “getting started” service assignment tasks to unlock some of the perks. I thought bayonet charging 5 people would be hard but it was surprisingly not too bad, and kinda fun. Bayoneting people is hilarious… ly ineffective as an actual strategy but it is quite amusing in practice.

Killing 5 people with dynamite just sucked though. There’s a reason I left this one until the last of the basic “getting started” tasks.

Also some of the future veteran (harder) soldier missions highlight just how ignored (because they really really don’t matter) some of the elements of the game are. For example “Modal Yodel” requires:

Challenge #1    Destroy 50 Telegraphs   
Challenge #2    Perform 50 kills from Behemoths 
Challenge #3    Complete 25 rounds of Supply Drop   
Challenge #4    Complete 15 rounds of Frontlines    
Challenge #5    Win 10 rounds of Team Deathmatch    
Challenge #6    Complete 25 rounds of War Pigeons   

25 rounds of war pigeons? I am not sure anyone is even playing war pigeons. Like, ever. And “It’s where you stand” requires:

Challenge #1    Destroy 10 Tanks on Amiens  
Challenge #2    Perform 25 Melee kills on Argonne Forest    
Challenge #3    Perform 100 Shotgun Kills on Ballroom Blitz 
Challenge #4    Perform 5 Multi-kills on Monte Grappa   
Challenge #5    Perform 50 Headshots on Nivelle Nights  
Challenge #6    Kill 25 enemies with debris 

This shit is just annoying. 25 debris kills? Jesus.

Some parts of them you will definitely achieve in normal gameplay eventually, but 50 headshots on Nivelle Nights? Good fucking luck, I never see that map in rotation anywhere.

To be clear the actual game is still pretty god damn amazing as an experience. It’s so great. But DICE always builds a shitload of totally extra unnecessary stuff into their games, it’s like they are addicted to “just one more shiny gameplay element”, and seem to like punishing players periodically by forcing them to use all this pointless extra stuff they spew all over their games.

This is also why they will never ever understand the popularity of Battlefield: Bad Company 2… which, miraculously, didn’t have a bunch of extra random shit in it. If DICE could laser focus on building just a few gameplay modes that work really well, and just a few weapons and classes and gadgets that are generally useful in a lot of combat scenarios… they’d be knocking it out of the park.

Good news!

https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/nivelle-nights-map-for-all-players

Nivelle Nights will be made available for all Battlefield 1 players.

Starting early November, you can tackle the muddy battlefields around Malmaison and Soupir as the French or German army. Make good use of the moon, the searchlights, and the artillery lighting up the dark night skies.

I’m not sure that it’s Dice that’s addicted to “one more shiny gameplay element”. I’m pretty sure that if Dice were left alone, BF would be a lean & mean MP shooter like BF1942 was. Or, if we get down to it, Dice may not be even be making shooters at all.

But we have to remember who lurks behind Dice and controls the purse-strings. If every game that EA funds isn’t a Duplo Blox, Fisher Price world of needless busywork, it and the studio behind it gets shitcanned. Or is that Ubi? I get the two confused. I think one is French.

Yeah, I ultimately just uninstalled BF1 since I didn’t have the Season pass and just went back to Overwatch for multiplayer shooting.

Both are good, but one doesn’t make have to buy an expensive season pass.

Overwatch has TINY TINY maps though. It’s so claustrophobic. No vehicles. No 64 player matches. That’s like comparing Tennis and Football. “I got tired of football because I had to pay a lot to see the games so now I watch tennis for my sportsball activity.”

Yeah, they screwed up on the Premium Pass. I think they might’ve been able to push it initially, but MSRP for it was $50 on top of the $60 base game price. That’s insane to anyone but ultra-hardcore Battlefield players. $30 should’ve been the max for the Premium Pass.

By the time they dropped the price in a couple of sales, it was too late.