Battlefield 2: Ok, so whats the big deal?

I was seriously underwhelmed, the only detectable engine difference seems to be ragdoll and choppers (besides an obvious graphical upgrade), which I thought were both in BF: Vietnam, so what exactly have they been doing? The Squad leader feature is neat, the commander feature seemed to not be all that useful, but maybe i didn’t know what i was doing.

And then what are the differences between the classes, they all seemed fairly minor, except maybe the medic.

I mean, how long has it been since the first BF, and i still can’t destroy buildings or friggin break a wall.

It’s one of those games that takes a bit longer to get into than just a quick pick up and play. It’ll grow on you, or at least it’ll grow on most people. Especially once you start getting in decent squads or having a smart commander.

You forgot to mention that the infantry feel and control like legitimate FPS soldiers now instead of guncameras on broken rollerskates. Vehicle control is also enhanced; gone are the days of mudpuddle explosions and speedbump-borne humvee flips. Driving the buggies borders on righteousness.

Also: no ragdolls in BF:V.

The Squad leader feature is neat, the commander feature seemed to not be all that useful, but maybe i didn’t know what i was doing.

The more exposure this gets with the community the better the game will become.

And then what are the differences between the classes, they all seemed fairly minor, except maybe the medic.

Rock/scissors/paper. Mix and match in squads for maximum effectiveness.

I mean, how long has it been since the first BF, and i still can’t destroy buildings or friggin break a wall.

Maybe in BF3? I mean, how many other games even have this feature? Red Faction I&II?

FWIW, it seems like they kept the core of what made BF1942 great and fixed up what needed fixing.

[quote=““Uncle Larry””]

That kind of physics is still ways off. You barely even see that kind of interaction in single-player first-person shooters, let alone anything on the size and scale of BF2. Can you imagine just how much data would have to be fly between the server and all the clients if you had that kind of physical interaction with the world? Blow up a wall, and you gotta track all the frickin’ bricks to make sure they don’t kill anyone. Internet speeds aren’t even there yet, let alone CPU and GPUs.

That kind of physics is still ways off. You barely even see that kind of interaction in single-player first-person shooters, let alone anything on the size and scale of BF2. Can you imagine just how much data would have to be fly between the server and all the clients if you had that kind of physical interaction with the world? Blow up a wall, and you gotta track all the frickin’ bricks to make sure they don’t kill anyone. Internet speeds aren’t even there yet, let alone CPU and GPUs.[/quote]

I’ll pay for a BF game when this happens… in the meantime, I can get plenty of single player experiences that offer this kind of gameplay…

I am finding the weapons not very leathal… especially the squad support weapon. I can pling away for what seems like a long time and not die. On the other hand, the assault class’s rifles are more accurate (lying or not) and lethal I think. Kind annoying… as the duel-use classes (medic, engineer, support) give you some amusing distractions when not in a fight…

You can blow up bridges. Does that count?

Really? Name one that isn’t Red Faction.

[quote]I mean, how long has it been since the first BF, and i still can’t destroy buildings or friggin break a wall.

Maybe in BF3? I mean, how many other games even have this feature? Red Faction I&II?[/quote]
Söldner - which is quite comparable to the BF titles in terms of gameplay and , btw., also featured a commander mode - did have destructible environments. Not the way Red Faction made it, but you could destroy/knock down most of the objects and also damage the terrain. See here.

The size of the project was probably too ambitious for Wings and so it was quite buggy and the performance left a lot to be desired when the game was released - too early. Would have been interesting to see what they could have done had they had at least half of the resources a team like D.I.C.E. had. The ADS feature was certainly fun, when you were driving around with a tank and knew someone was hiding in a building one leveled it. Unlike BF where even a small wooden cottage proves to be immune against tank shells or artillery fire. Didn’t compensate for all the technical flaws though.

-Julian

So that’s three games total. Hardly plenty. I don’t know if that’s a such a great idea anyways. The first thing people will do is blow up all destructable environments anyways and then you’re left with maps full of rubble almost instantly.

Whoah, Soldner?

OK there…

Really? I often play support just because I find the SAW so effective. I once walked into a flag cap point, went prone, and killed FOUR enemy soldiers who came in at the same time I did. I think the SAW is much more lethal than the M16, although it’s less accurate. You really need to be lying prone to use it, unless you’re right on top of your enemy, and it’s ineffective against guys at long range, unlike the M16. But at medium ranges it owns–more damage, shoots faster I think, and you can sustain fire much longer because of the huge clip.

Yes. The SAW does rock in medium ranges (up to about 100 meters). I was ‘camping’ at the crane flag spot on top of the building with a SAW mowing down tons of soliders, all trying to take the flag! Until an AH came and rocketed my butt to kingdom come!

Coming from a fan of OFP and Joint Operations… this is going to be a great game. What surprised me most? The iron sights. It might just be cosmetic, for the most part, but it shows me the devs are working to improve upon the franchise. As well there’s the awesome feel of the engine. It just feels more solid… even the lag online is much improved from BFV and SWBG.

etc

As for me, I hate the game’s aircraft controls. I have never thought that keeping the throttle floored or let off and and crash was a “good idea”. I mean, how do you make flying harder than the flight model in a true simulation?

I thought choppers were very well done in Novalogic’s Joint Ops… because you indicated which way you wanted to go and at which altitude and it “just flew” - which was great because it’s not a fucking chopper sim, it’s an arcade game.

So basically, BF2 can lick my sweaty balls.

Give the planes time. When you get a handle on it (and you need a stick or pad) then they are great. I just find the maps too small to fly jets… but that’s just me.

My god the choppers are tough tho. Hit one with an AT rocket (!) and it didn’t die! Takes two rounds from a tank to kill one too!

Got wipped a few times around the middle of the map by a chopper hovering at about 20 feet and killing EVERYTHING. VERY hard to stop. Couldn’t help wish for some JO stingers.

I picked up a Saitek P880 gamepad for 20 bucks and it works great for flying the choppers. In fact flying the choppers is the only thing that keeps me playing the demo. I have the left stick set for the “collective” and yaw, and the right stick for the “cyclic”.

I do prefer the BF1942 planes to the modern ones quite simply because they’re a lot slower and easier to manage. With a joystick BF1942 planes are leathal and fun as hell. Not to mention it takes more then a sec to fly through the entire map.

I think thats just this demo map, which is pretty small. In Desert Combat the planes are actually faster (i think) but they are mainly on large maps like El Alemain. Also planes don’t seem to be as effective like they are in DC. Maybe thats just because people haven’t had too much time to play with them and get a good feel for them.

I hope they don’t end up as effective as they are in DC. In DC they are very powerfull but kept in check due to the stingers carried by the antitank class. Same with Helicopters in dc. In BF2 it looks like there is no class that carrys antiair missles. Though it might be an unlockable I haven’t looked into those yet.

Namely the horrendously choppy engine which has transformed into buttery goodness :D

Maybe it’s because I haven’t played this type of game to death (I did play BF1942 quite a bit, but never BF:V), but I think this game is really cool. Joint Ops never grabbed me, in part because it seemed to take itself so seriously. This one just seems to have a lot of BF1942’s goofyness, which I prefer to the grim ‘fuck you, I’m a soldier of fortune!’ aesthetic.

That’s just from playing the demo single player–just think how much fun it’ll be playing with all the assholes online!