Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

Yeah, the ttk changes caused a big drama fest. I think for regular people the games are just fine if you are into the BF style of gameplay. The people bitching the loudest have put 1000s of hours into the game.

My username is vyshka in the games, if anyone ever wants a squadmate that can’t shoot for shit.

I will say that one weird wrinkle of buying V is that the Definitive edition comes with all guns unlocked. That was sort of good and bad at the same time. However, each gun has its own unlock tree for upgrades along with camo unlocks so there is plenty to grind.

I sent you an invite. My Origin profile is Chaplin717 it seems. I also can’t shoot for shit. I am an old man and this balloon popping TTK is hard to keep up with. I do like team coordination, have a mic, and usually am a medic.

I think the TTK is just a lost argument for me. People LOVE low TTK. The shorter the better. I remember the old days of Rainbow 6 and realism modes that had low TTK. That was neat as a side experience. Then CoD came along and low TTK was mandatory in all games or else the gunplay was suddenly “bullet spongey”. I think folks just really enjoy the rush of tap, tap, tap that can net multi kills in milliseconds. I call this “balloon popping” and I hate it. I much prefer the cat and mouse play of days gone by. Nowadays it seems to be who sees who first wins. And that feels really out of place in a game where the main mode is players distributed far and wide across a huge map while running or driving to one of the many someplaces that nobody is probably at to endlessly “back cap”. See, old guy.

You are my FPS muse!

100% with you on everything you just said.

So, looking to jump back into a Battlefield. Huge fan of 1942 and Bad Company. Tried BF4 and just couldn’t get into it. My brother and I are looking at BF V - like the WWII “theme.”

I looked at a couple of Youtube videos, and the action looked extremely fast paced. I just don’t enjoy the non-stop run and fire or die environment. Hoping that’s not required.

In Bad Company, my brother and I could form our own private two man squad, and then we’d find squads to support. Can you do that in BF V or is it going to force me into a squad of strangers? Can I invite my brother so we can play co-op together?

I’m pretty sure V will let you create another squad, but I think there are limits on the number of squads that a team can have. @DaveLong probably has a better answer. I haven’t played V in quite a while. Loaded V, 1, and 4 up on the new system this weekend though, so I will be jumping in soon. I just got sidetracked killing zombies in Call of Duty.

I’d rank the last 3 games in this order:

BF1 , combat felt amazing , maps were some of the best ever!
BF4 , alright, its been awhile so the memories are a bit hazy.
BFV , just didn’t feel like it came together during game play, maps were mediocre imho.

BFV for me had this constant feeling of DICE doing the Bare Minimum as they supported it post launch.

I’m sorely disappointed by EA’s lack of guts: I was hoping this Battlefield 2042 would be centered around throwing rocks and poking people with wooden sticks, but instead it’s going to be yet another historically inaccurate effort.

Squads are four man teams. You will often have two random players in your squad. You will also usually not have people with microphones, especially on PC in that random squad so for the most part if you are the squad leader then you guide the action and you also call in the support for your squad. If you aren’t the squad leader, you can ask for orders if they’re not giving any and if they don’t give any, you’ll get the leadership role.

It’s all pretty unobtrusive and you just play how you want to play for the most part. You can create your own group with the two of you to start with and I think there might be a way to lock others out now that I think about it. Anyway, PTFO and have fun in whatever mode you choose. It’s a video game. It’s not life or death. Be creative. Shoot people. Blow stuff up. Enjoy.

Thanks. If we could form a two man squad and keep it private, that would be exactly what we want to do. BTW, PS5. We’ve tried letting randoms join us and it was almost always a negative experience for a number of reasons.

Dice team talks about BF2042:

Edit: They confirmed that all of the game play impacting stuff will be free. Paid battle pass will just be cosmetics.

That’s great news and totally expected. As long as there aren’t any ROZ3 skins for BF2042 we should be good.

The player count for BF4 has really jumped this week, most servers have a long queue.

A lot of complaints that it is killing the servers I guess due to hosting companies running them on shared hardware.

People are already complaining about the tornado.

Which you knew they would… because we can’t have a chance to play things for ourselves before influencers ruin it all for us.