Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

Part of it is that we are definitely getting diminishing returns on graphics, newer games look better, but not x times better. Part of it is that the game is really crossgen, not a nextgen exclusive. And part of it, because they have focused on more (bigger maps, 128 players) than in pure graphical quality.

It’s crossgen but it’s still next generation exclusive. PS4 and Xbox One players will not be on the same maps or servers as those with PC, PS5 and Xbox Series consoles. It’s essentially two different games that way.

DICE has been pushing some of the best graphics on any platform since BF1 shipped. This will still be miles above where BF4 stands today on PCs, which is its best form. Sheer volume of players on massive maps is not something you could do on old gen hardware either.

I think Battlefield 1 had the best graphics, Battlefield 5 graphics were not impressive imho and uniforms, unless you paid out for the cometic dlc characters were some of the worst.

My hype for 2042 is immense. It will be nice to control a tank again that gives me some battlefield visibility.

Do you drive from the third person perspective? I usually don’t stay in the first person view until I get to the location of the fight. That’s how you get good visibility in BF tanks.

I usually try to flip to 3rd person, especially in BF1 with the flamethrower tank.

It’s easy on controller. Right stick pushed in to flip back and forth.

I highly recommend watching some Broken Machine or Jackfrags streaming or videos of Battlefield. The way they play just plain works. You can learn a ton watching how they move both on foot or in vehicles.

Open beta preload is up. Only 18 GB.

Sweet, wasnt aware of an open beta. I turned off my brain when they delayed. Downloading now.

The beta got pushed back along with the game. They’ve always done one for like the last three releases I think. It’s worth logging in as there’s usually some in game swag you get for participating. The nice thing is it’s open to everyone on Friday so people can see how it runs on their PC or console.

General access to the open beta will begin on October 8 at 12am PDT / 3am EDT / 8am BST on all platforms, and concludes on October 10 at 12am PDT / 3am EDT / 8am BST. If you’ve pre-ordered the game, or you’re a member of the EA Play subscription service, you’ll be able to get in starting October 6 at 12am PDT / 3am EDT / 8am BST.

Nice so Gamepass once again providing a benefit! Due to the free EA Play Subscription.

Not sure if standard EA Play works or if you need to be Pro for the early access.

I just started preloading the open beta in EA play using PC Gamepass and the date on the screen changed from the 8th to the 6th so it might be early access.

The more the merrier!

I actually decided to get EA Play Pro today for a year to play on PC. I figured I will also play Madden and FIFA and on PC there’s no time limits. In fact with BF2042 you get the Ultimate Edition so that should include all the year one battle pass stuff. At some point by this time next year I can probably buy it cheaply and if not, then I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Damn it Origin is confused and won’t let me play. I originally ordered on Steam, and then returned it and just did EA Play Pro for a year instead. Origin thinks I still own it on Steam, and won’t let me login to the beta even though I have EA Play.

Browsing the subreddit, it appears EA Play users can’t get in but preorders can. I’m using Play and keep getting the failure message.

Got in so the issue maybe fixed.

Yep, it just let me in.

I just reenlisted for year 2 of Pro. Pretty much your exact reasons, just last year. Bonus points for the Mass Effect remaster and Sims for the daughter. More than my money’s worth.

Random thoughts after 2 rounds of play…
It’s pretty laggy but could have been my server?
The jets doing weird unnatural jitters around the sky. Kind of like the creepy little girl with black hair.
I flew little copters…a lot. I also rode shotgun/gunner in the helio gunship. Lagg wasn’t helping but I LOL a few times at my both intentional and unintentional acrobatics.
THe jeep thingie with the armor is fun as hell to whip aroudn the battlefield squashing people.
Not sure I like the full mix and matching of kits etc. I can run a medic kit, with a recon skin and engineer weapons…shrug. Need to fiddle with it more.
I was running Ultra at 1440 p with 3080/etc. Seemed to tax my system less than current Battlefields.
Birds, F’ing birds are everywhere man! (see above about flying in helios)

Yeah anything in the air is flying very erratically.
I only had lag 1 out of my 11 rounds tonight, but that round any ground vehicle I got in was just out of sync the entire time I was in it.
So weird playing in cross-play, I got like 4 kills in 30 seconds at one point due to a elevator ambush. Also got a really satisfying ricochet off the wall nade kill.
I love the mix-matching of kits. Also the drone kit is wonderful for point defense.
Overall I am liking it and the overall feel of movement and pace of gameplay is way better than BF5.