Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

Free weekend on Steam…

Yeah, Vanguard too. Play them both and decide for yourself!

Demonstration of how some suppressors don’t really work the way the description says they do.

Documentation fail. Sigh.

-Tom

So uh the rumor is that the first season drop doesn’t happen until sometime in March according to data mining. March?

This game will be dead by March if they don’t start some content before then. These 7 maps will not sustain the players.

My guess is that’s also when some portion of it will go free to play. Just wait…

You’re talking about Hazard Zone right? I honestly don’t think it’s good enough on its own to attract a solid player base.

Man, I honestly do not know what they will do. If they have plans to run it like Warzone/CoD yearly releases, that would make sense, but as you say, it would need a lot more in Hazard Zone to make that work.

Maybe they give away the main game? That would certainly drive up player count for Conquest and Breakthrough. They sold a lot though. Maybe they just make the base game $20 by then?

I am tired of this game already and I am only rank 34 if I recall. Might end up being my least played Battlefield, which is sad.

I have to say that I’m really enjoying the low requirements for the weekly missions so far. This week’s offer is an acorn charm for your guns if you do 2K points worth of damage, revive 30 people, and heal some folks. You can do that in 2-3 typical Breakthrough games, and the past weeks’ challenges have been pretty easy too.

Contrast (again) to Halo Infinite’s weekly missions that require a ton of grinding.

They should have a pretty good handle on weeklys. They got that right in Battlefield V also imo. Requirements for unlocks and goodies in Battlefield in general are usually well thought out and not overbearing.

More maps ASAP. Playing less and less due to small map rotation.

Yep I totally stopped due to map fatigue.

I really miss the season pass stuff, where we’d get 4 new maps every few months.

Yup. I’m so sick of the 7 maps we have.

I think their idea was to create Bigger Maps where the particular class specials could shine in certain spots/situations. Like grappling hook guy sucks in wide open map but shines with any vertical play. So mastering each class is the gameplay loop and having a bunch of them makes maps not as important because zipping around like a flying squirrel plays totally different to defending points with turret guy. You look at the map in a whole new way! I get it and find myself playing different classes because of their different toys but capturing flags and shooting is capturing flags and shooting. Gimmie more.

This was my experience as well. Each map is a set of overlapping playgrounds catering variously to different character gimmicks. If you frequently swap characters, you can interact with the maps in a bunch of different ways, sampling a different set of playgrounds as you progress through a match.

But I wonder how many people actually play that way? Swapping to a new character as they reach different situations? As opposed to people who play with the mindset that “Sundance is my character” or “Irish is my character” or “McKay is my character”. That certainly seems to be how Electronic Arts wants you to think of the characters, along the lines of Overwatch. And how much does this contribute to faster map fatigue? If you’re repeatedly playing through the same “playgrounds”, of course they’d get old. If you’re thinking of yourself as Sundance, Irish, or Dozer for the entire match instead of just grabbing the wingsuit, walls, or turret as needed, then you’re less likely to swap as the circumstances change and you’re less likely to see how differently different areas can play.

In other words, maybe seven maps would have been plenty if players were more flexible in terms of changing their character? And by throwing out a hook baited for Overwatch players – or at least to appeal to their player base the way Overwatch appeals to its player base – did Electronic Arts stumble over the design of the game and the way the maps were “supposed” to be played?

(By the way, do players change characters in Overwatch as they play a match? I don’t know the answer to that because I haven’t played Overwatch in dog’s years, but it certainly seemed like that was how you were supposed to play.)

Who can say? It’s more likely that I just haven’t played enough to get bored of the maps the way some of you have.

-Tom

I tend to gravitate towards capture points and then go from there. Ill play one map mostly between 2 points and pick the right character for the job/location depending on if it’s more a defensive or offensive point. I’ll usually stick to that character till the end or If I move my focus and swapping makes since. I am absolutely still learning the seven maps as they are freaking huge. I also fly helicopters a ton and the AA tank makes me all giddy if I can convince a full crew to get in it so about half my playtime is in a vehicle. In other words not bored yet but some maps make me sigh more than others when I see them loading.

Still playing every day and having fun even with all its faults. I have not gotten bored with the maps yet and like Tom said it helps to switch up the characters to maximize variety. I’ve had fun with most of the characters. They each bring something different and unique.

I’m getting bored of them as well and I don’t even play that much. I’ve binged the game over the last couple of days and about the only map that doesn’t trigger a sigh when I see the loading screen is Manifest, as that has a bunch of cover and a genuinely fun structure to the level. For the most part, anyway.

I picked this up on EGS with their coupon and sale. First Battlefield game I have played so I don’t have the issue of being upset because X was changed.

The map that always gives me a sigh: Hourglass. I would say the the average time I am alive on that map, is in the 10 second range. Especially that skyscraper section.

I feel like the player count has been cut in half with the limited edition 64 player maps.