Battlefield V - WW2, cosmetic loot, DICE

The plan for covering the entire WW2 through the GAAS system was only going to work if the base game was a big success, something on the level of BF3 at least. BF5 wasn’t. It isn’t economic to offer lots of free content for a game that wasn’t that big of a success.

Obviously the base game would never be that big of a success, since it was only a fraction of a normal BF game. So I guess it was doomed from the start?

It would be better if they introduced “Battlefield Universe” in the same launcher, the same pool of players, etc, where people could either pick different campaigns from BF1, 2, 3 Bad Company 1/2, 2142, Vietnam, One, 5, Whatever. with the same engine/architecture/wtf.

Combine with some “matchmaking” modes that just randomly fills up matches from any of the games - guaranteeing there will be players, and also some “Match of the week” that tries to funnel players to a specific game mode (and thus giving that mode a lot of players) with extra incentives to play those modes, or even modes that have a low player population normally, such as 2 x XP, Get a skin after 10 matches, etc.

This fragmentation of the Battlefield population into so many different games and epochs is surely dilluting the player population, or have the new BF’s always had a higher player pop than the previous version and retained those (i.e. BF5 players never returning to One, etc…)

Add DLCs like skins/outfits/kill-emotes/custom looks on the vehicles, etc… but have the maps available to all. Or do the ARMA route of having new content be “low resolution” for players who did not own it, but still able to fly/use it in the game.

Edit:

Or they could just admit they are wrong, and that BAD COMPANY 2 WAS THE BEST GOD DAMN BATTLEFIELD EVER MADE. Port 1 and 2 to BF:5 Engine and make a Bad Company 3.

(2142 was kinda neat also)

I haven’t played since around December of last year, did they ever put in auto balance after a round ends?

I will probably give this a reinstall after the final content drop, but overall its been my least favorite battlefield.

Supposedly it was in the works to be introduced soon (like the delayed April update that we should be getting early May), but who knows if the auto balance is still planned. It would really help the life of servers if they did put it in before they move on. Right now it seems to be play a couple rounds, then go find another server.

Played some BF5, BF1, and BF4 last night. BF1 had about 5 fully populated servers, but BF4 seems to still have a pretty good player base. It seemed like there were even more well populated servers there than BF5.

I think in order for that to work, they would have to remake all the older games a la Master Chief Collection. It would be jarring for someone to be playing this:

And then after the round is over, wind up on this map:

As I understand it, the population is mostly split between Battlefield V and Battlefield 4 at this point. The former because it’s the most recent game, and the latter because it’s considered by many fans to be the best Battlefield game in recent memory (after all the fixes following the disastrous launch), and it also scratches the modern warfare itch.

BF4 holds up ridiculously well.

Had some more fun last night playing BF4.

There have been a lot of negative videos about BF5 the last few days, but Westie put out one about what he thought BF5 got right:

Naturally they’d need to rework them to run the same engine/graphic fidelity.

Could even have cheat code/options if you wanted to play “oldschool” version, but only with others on the same to avoid any advantages vs “other engine”, or just render “look” but functionality the same (more or less, to not give any advantages – assume the battlefield “fog” would be a lot closer in the old versions tho…)

They did a lot of things right and wrong. With over 525 hours in the game, I had a lot of fun with it but they had so many opportunities to make it a classic, but failed. The graphics are top notch, the destructive environment is always fun but this was a title that was clearly rushed and lacked a clear vision.

Maps - For a game touting massive maps, there were just a few that were really large and allowed effective vehicle play. There were some maps I liked (Arras, Panzerstorm, Twisted Steel) and some I hated (Narvik, Fjell, Aerodrome). They could have made more maps like Arras and the western European area. They could have added more jungle maps where you would actually fight through the jungle instead of once again, linear paths. Large urban areas instead of a central point like a church or theater ie Devastation.

Cosmetics, the area where they can support the live service was pathetic. Whoever was in charge of this clearly had zero knowledge of how to handle a live service. Skins that were in alpha and beta never made it into the live game. Skins were data mined that never made it in the game. Guns in single player never made it in the game (Chaucat). Also, most skins were only bought with actual $.

Games like Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose that are made by independent studios have more vehicle diversity than triple AAA Dice’s BFV. This was a very disappointing area for me.

Other things touted by the team never made it in game or were very late:

• Dragging soldiers to cover - scratched
  • Vehicle cosmetics - introduced with minimal cosmetics recently after a year and half of “soon”.
  • Cheaters and lack of cheating tools.
  • Firestorm, their touted battle royale, no longer received updates and had so much potential

Changing the TTK multiple times throughout it’s lifespan. Both times they attempted to change it, it failed miserably and had to be reverted.

I’ve been a huge fan of Battlefield titles. I own every single one and was so hyped to play BFV. I love the WW2 theme but they dropped the ball on this one.

They really have to take a look at the mistakes they made and focus on making BF6 a strong title else they are in trouble.

They should never have bothered with Firestorm. All the resources put into that probably would have allowed to them to release another expansion like the Pacific. Would have been far better recieved.

Yep, firestorm was a huge mistake.

Yeah, but it was a mistake because it was tied to BFV owners, and EA released a BR around the same time that had more varied gameplay, a more varied map and was actually free to play.

Edit: that being said, it was developed by Criterion who wouldn’t have worked on BFV anyway, so I’m not sure we would’ve gotten more content in BFV if Firestorm had never happened.

The gameplay was there for Firestorm and I totally agree, it should have been free with cosmetics etc to help continue development on it. It was contracted out to a different studio but when it was released, development slowed and eventually stopped once Dice took over. Another blunder on leadership. I do not fault the individual teams, I fault their management/leadership/ direction of the game and they failed to correct this along the way.

EA decided to release BF3, BF4, BFH, BF1, and BF5 on Steam today.

Also some recent rumors that there is a BF3 remaster coming.

Meh. I’d rather they remastered the Bad Company games. The first one wasn’t even released on PC so there is even a better reason for remastering it than the game that is worse than both BC2 and BF4.

Bad Company 2 - last good Battlefield, and also the best one.

Yeah, my brother and I played a LOT of BC2 coop. We tried the ones after that, we’re always looking for great games to play coop, but nothing matched that BC2 experience.

Here, here. Almost equaled with BF4 except the player base got fractured by all the premium DLC.