Battlefield V - WW2, cosmetic loot, DICE

I was trying the operations mode.

I can tell this isn’t a game for me in a few minutes. I’ll try Battlefield 1 and hope it’s a bit more old BF than this new BF. I’ve been playing tons of Battlefield 2 Star Wars and tbh BF V is not my groove by comparison.

Let us know how you like BF1. It is probably going to suffer from a lot of the same issues.

I enjoyed 3 and 4’s story modes. V and 1 did away with them for little vignettes right?

Yes, unfortunately they only have the vignettes

The vignettes in 1 are really good so far. I got stuck on the one in Turkey, so I don’t know if they’re as good past that, but up to that point they were excellent. Are the ones in V just as good?

I don’t think I did all of them in V, but the ones I did do I enjoyed (right now remembering the tank one, and the one with the French North African troops). It is a shame that so much of the war was left out of the game. A major ww2 fps with no eastern front content.

I miss Sarge, Sweetwater Haggard and Marlowe so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6LrVeq41js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk_3NuiX2M

I really hope we get another bad company at some point. Another game in the 2142 setting would be nice as well.

One more:

https://youtu.be/Dfz96fJepSU

Heh, it seems to run fine and at 1440p on my system still. I wonder why BF Vietnam isn’t available on Origin when they do have BF2.

The Bad Company campaigns and the Battlefield 3 campaign were the height of DICE’s single player prowess. After that the efforts took a sharp decline like the stock market in 1929.

it’s DLC for BFBC2 so Vietnam should be available.

There is the BC2 DLC, but the original BF: Vietnam that was a separate title. Looking now though I guess it was prior to BF2. I thought it was in between bf2 and bf2142.

hilariously after my compliment of ea’s competence i got a blank dialog box with redemption error after it offered me to ‘upgrade my version’ of knockout city.

Yeah, Vietnam was post 1942. That was essentially the first real sequel although not as well received at the time.

BF2 came after and I’m not sure you can actually still play that or 2142 online. Neither had a server browser of any kind built in?

There are some bf2 servers around still. Looks like there might be some bf2142 people as well: https://battlefield2142.co/ . There was some BF: Vietnam event streamed last week on twitch. I think BF4 is really the oldest with any sizable community though.

You can still play Battlefield 3 no problem. I kind of figured the old games had unofficial options. I think Bad Company 2 is still active also but not 💯 on that.

Yea, i’m probably not going to pursue much more with Battlefield I / V. I did manage to get a couple of Battlefield I rounds in, and they were fun and all, the maps are great looking, ect., but i guess they just didn’t feel like WW1, it felt like COD Deathmatch or CTF Deathmatch. So many times the best strategy is to just get behind them and shoot them in the back, which means the best strategy is (in gross) to just run around in circles. And in single player i gave up trying to shoot people and just ran around in circles spading people to death, which works much faster and better. I actually feel bad for the single player developers, they worked hard making… something so superficial, but so many cool settings (inside of a zeppelin, inside of a British WW1 tank, ect). And then i hold L1 to repair to 100%, because reasons. No harm no foul to those who like these, but i guess my ultimate problem with them is that they don’t feel like they’re capturing the “spirit” of the times. Reskin the WW1 stuff to modern stuff and you would hardly tell a difference in gameplay. So many automatic weapons everywhere.

It also doesn’t help that finding a game later in Battlefield 1 seems impossible? I have to select between like 30 different game modes, and when i join, the mode is empty. Why have a quick play button and then be forced to choose which mode i want to gamble for if i can’t see which games are being played? And of course most of the custom games are just Deathmatch… because multiplayer Battlefield I / V are Deathmatch games.

I have no idea what you’re doing, but you aren’t talking about the Battlefield game I play.

When I played BF3/4/BC2 Rush was my favorite mode. I imagine it’s hard to keep modes populated with so many games.