Battlefield V - WW2, cosmetic loot, DICE

Even the server browser seems to use 8 cores.

i7 6700K 4GHz Quad Core.

I messed with the settings and it ran a slightly better. Maybe setting everything to low tasks the CPU more?

That CPU should be enough. Be sure to have DX12 turned off, it’s actually worse than DX11.

This is running at a pretty solid 60 fps for me on and old, stock clock 3930k and a 1080 at 3440 x 1440. Mostly set to ultra with a few things knocked down to high. It seems pretty well optimized to me, although I missed the DX11/12 option when looking through the settings, never even noticed it.

Only played maybe five or six rounds, think I’m burnt out on the battlefield formula. Looks nice though.

So I played eight or nine rounds yesterday. It’s time for some impressions.

My general impressions is that it’s very pretty, and as a game is decent enough in Conquest, I guess, but I much preferred the older style. I won’t be buying it.

Are you a fan of Red Orchestra? Then congrats, because somehow this is kind of similar to that. How’s that?
-Well, there is more infantry focus as I explained before in my previous vehicle rant. Hell, in fact it’s even worse than I believed, there isn’t a 1 land vehicle per side, it’s more like 0.2, because the spawn times are much longer now.
-There is a emphasis on being more realistic/immersive, to the detriment of the more arcade, fast action. Revives are slower, getting in/out of a vehicle is slower, healing is nerfed, repair is slower, you have to re-supply to get ammo, it’s all less immediate .
-The gameplay is a bit slower and a bit more realistic in the sense that looking for enemies carefully is a thing now, as the 3d spotting has been almost eliminated.
-The flow of the game, of how you go from point to point, is slower, the fights are more static, as there are less vehicles and fortifications and supply system favors camping and less offensive gameplay.

There has been some debate about how it’s the TTK, it’s too fast or too slow. I would say it’s good, except for headshots and the healing issue. The healing issue means that now there are more times you are low on health as they nerfed health regen, so sometimes you are instakilled.
Headshots, I have the feeling that sometimes I die in a normal amount of time and other times I die almost immediately, and I think the difference is when I’m headshotted. I believe they have increased the head damage, maybe before it was 1.5x and now it’s 2.0x. With that exception,where I believe the TTK is too low, Overall I would say the new gunplay is an good improvement, in how the weapon controls and recoils in your hand.
Continuing with the gunplay, it’s puzzling why they have dropped the ‘glint scope’ feature that would reveal snipers, they didn’t need any buffs, hell they are too good as their weapons barely have any sway (all that increased realism in other areas, but they haven’t touched that!).

The game suffers like it’s fairly common for Battlefield game because the player number. 64 players is too much for an infantry-centric, 5 points map. Although not as much as in previous games, because now there are more campers, more people going for supplies, etc. Still, I would say 50 players would be best for these two maps. And that’s in Conquest, after that you have some game modes inspired in Rush that are crazy stupid with 64 players, they should be top 40 players.
In past BF games I usually played in custom servers, but from BF1 onwards I think they changed their renting server model, that suddenly they were much much less common. This small detail actually had huge repercussions in how I enjoy (or I don’t) the series.

I have some more nitpicks, as for example when you are down and waiting for a revive, you don’t have the minimap so you can’t see if there is a friendly medic nearby so you should wait for him. Also sometimes it’s hard to see if a friendly soldier has thrown an ammo bag or there is someone you should revive (as a medic), as the hud indicators are smaller and less noticeable, which I guess it makes the game prettier, but less usable.

Finally I wanted to comment how they seem to have a strange hard-on for teamplay, and imo, they are stupidly trying to enforce it, with things like the buddy squad revive (you can’t revive people from your side, but you can with your squad mates), spawning with less ammo and things like that. Teamplay is good in a game designed for it, like a MOBA game, or a coop game like Vermintide, but not in Battlefield (I’m defining here teamplay as something more than attacking the same objective or sharing ammo or medic packs from time to time). It doesn’t matter how hard they try, people are going to play BF like always: if they are with friends they will play together in a squad, if they don’t they will in public alone. In the second case, they won’t be advancing together in a cohesive squad, covering each other, etc, no matter how hard they try, so I question the wisdom of trying that. So maybe they should design the game around the fact that most people play in public squads.

Only played 2 rounds on the snow map last night, and I am not really feeling optimistic yet.

How do I re-arm a tank? I ran out of ammo.
Also tanks feel “floaty”. Which is weird.

And as usual no one shares supplies, so I was either out of ammo or almost dead within 2 minutes of spawning every time.

My squad was 2 snipers and 1 support, I went medic. Snipers were as usual camping for the entire round, my support squaddie ran off on his own and kept getting killed, I rez’d him probably 5 times.

The changes to health / healing and ammo / supply, are perhaps too extreme.

I am not sure if I am gonna buy BF5, I’ll try to get more beta time in this weekend.

There is some mechanism for that. I think when you call for revive, the medics are shown in your hud with distances or something?

I think the more open Narvik maps with long sight lines add to the sense of not knowing from whence death comes. Rotterdam seemed a bit more survivable, with buildings providing cover everywhere.

I read this and its provided a lot of info I wish I’d of known before playing yesterday.

I haven’t played RO, but most of these all sound great to be honest. One of the things I’ve disliked in recent BFs is the call-of-duty-fication of the gameplay, faster and more arcade-y. If BFV brings it down a notch, then I’m all for it.

I’m too dumb to understand how health works.

Infantry combat is very wellcome to any BF game, so I have something to shot at with my tank.

Well jeeze, I love Red Orchestra!

But that is definitely not the type of game I am looking for in a Battlefield.

FYI, i you are still craving that BF 1942 there are definitely some sites running private servers you can jump in on and play. Playing that game again really reminded me that Battlefield of old was all about the vehicles. If you weren’t in a vehicle, you were trying to kill vehicles or steal vehicles or crash jeeps or maybe snipe at some folks.

It’s explained in the article linked to above.

I know. That’s the stuff I’m too dumb to follow :)

Look, use the gadget key and then you can activate the pouch, if you are are a medic. If you don’t have that you can just regen 30 HP, or if you hit dpad up or numkey 5 you can use a stored pouch, only if you are not a medic. You don’t have one to start with though. To get a stored pouch ensure you are near a medic with his pouches not on cooldown. But when they throw you the pouch you don’t need to use it, because that heals you. But if there isn’t a medic you can visit a health crate to pick up a pouch, but picking up the pouch there also regens your health if you need it. If you don’t have a medic, your squad leader can airdrop in a healthcrate.

C’mon it is simple!

I can learn that stuff in single player. In multiplayer I’m usually too busy shooting at stuff to figure out the controls, etc.

I was randomly pressing buttons yesterday, hoping to “spot” enemy soldiers, but none of the buttons I tried seemed to work.

In multiplayer it always seems like I’m letting down my teammates if I go into the menu to figure out the controls. Of course, in a game like this, that results in me not being able to do much except point and shoot.

I noticed I didn’t have to pick a class, so presumably they got rid of classes, which is interesting. Or at the very least they postponed it.

I will say I did like the respawn mechanic of dropping in by plane.

I think once the new mechanics of playing are known to everyone the game will be more fun. Also when medics and support get crates. Last night when I played no one had crates unlocked.

The class option is on the Full Deployment screen, when you don’t do a squad spawn. It’s the icons at the bottom. You can also change squad from that screen. I think spot is still Q but it’s been made less powerful than the earlier games - only Recon get a good version I think.

I reckon you play on console? On PC you can see (and change) all the keyboard mappings from the settings, which is also available on the main menu.

Q is Commo Rose (for like requesting ammo etc), and I haven’t found a way to spot yet. How do you do it with the recon class?

Is it just me or is the UI somehow worse than it was in Battlefield 1.