Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

I keep saying I’m going to buy this thing but then I hold back, curious to see how low the price will go. Right now it’s $7.49 on Steam, and I’m wondering if I should just keep waiting.

For the original? Wait for some bundle that includes it and all its DLC for like, $5.

BG:A2 is out in 12 days.

If you pre-order (there is 25% discount for BG:A owner), you can access the 2nd Beta starting next Tuesday (1/15).

I got to play the beta. So much better than the first clunky thing.

First clunky thing was still pretty awesome. Really looking forward to the second.

Never did get into the first game and gave up on it after about 5 hours. Will watch this one but I’m going to wait and see if it’s all they claim before buying.

Is there a replay camera? That’s all I wanted.

How about a real pause? Although I didn’t find the slo-mo setting bad, and it worked well enough in the first one, I really like to pause and look around. Especially when new to a game.

Being weak, I couldn’t help but pick up the sequel, even though I played very little of the first game. So far, I like it—more of the same, with a little less clunkiness. Ships feel like they move a little slower, and you can set them to autoengage.

Autoengage would usually be a liability, but you can select enemy ships, too, setting a target priority and a subsystem targeting setting for each one, and ships without direct orders will respect those priorities. That’s handy.

Downsides: graphically, the presentation seems a bit muddy, much more so than in the first entry in the series.

You’re in luck. There is a pause this time around, and you can issue orders while it’s active.

Wait, it’s out already?!

Preorder ‘beta’ released yesterday, with the prologue, the skirmish mode, and the first bits of the Imperium and Necron campaigns. Full release is still the 24th.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks!

THAT sounds fantastic. If the AI actually does its damned job, it can really help with avoiding too much micromanaging I reckon. Wonderful.

Yeah, that’s a problem I have nowadays with a lot of RTS kind of games. I don’t want to babysit every action, I want to manager the bigger picture. If I can delegate behavior to certain ships and only manually do things with them when I need to make adjustments, that would be ideal for someone like me. I have no interest in APM-focused gameplay.

How are the mission types this time around? Still has terribly balanced ones?

I haven’t gotten beyond the prologue, but I’ll report back when I do.

That’s as far as I’ve gotten, but the missions have been a lot of fun. According to the campaign trailer, it looks like the meta game will drive the missions, which could be really fun.

Not sure if anyone said for sure if they introduced a replay mechanic ala Warhammer Total War?