Battlefront II - EA and DICE versus the Dark Side

I think it’s kinda broken that there’s even a sniper class in a Star Wars game at all. Maybe that’s just me.

This is really fun. I hate shooters, but I don’t hate this. I’ve gotten two MVP’s in Starfighter Assault today, whaaaaat. Who am I even?

I was planning on just meddling with multiplayer and checking out the single player but this looks like it has legs.

A couple my opinions:

1. Overall, this is quite good. Presentation is great and Frostbite is putting in some work.
  2. Having classes is a welcome change from the previous installment.
  3. The main part of the sample, stopping/helping the MTT on Naboo, is just okay. Functionally, there’s not a lot of difference between this and the Walker Assault maps in the last game, but the Naboo map feels pretty bland. Most of the action is on that main avenue which is a wide-open street without a lot of vertical gameplay. The MTT just slowly inches along in a straight line. CQB tends to cluster at the right-angled alley corners. It’s kind of boring. The action is better once the match moves into the palace.
  4. Starfighter Assault is damn good.
  5. The Star Wars nerd inside of me dies a little with Han and Rey fighting droids and Maul on Naboo.

That 5th point hurt me on an irrational level.

I’m bummed at the lack of VR support on this. Even if it was limited to a self contained tech demo like on the PS4. I would pay 30 dollars for literally just a vr death star mission and play it on loop.

EDIT: How big is the PC beta download?

EDIT 2: 23GB YOWZAH

Errrr… no, it’s super bad there too, a bunch of tiny rooms and hallways that get spammed with explosives?

Overall I agree that map is a super dud. The gameplay is solid but that map has gotta go.

Oh my god origin is such a piece of shit. It won’t even boot up the game.

slowly backs away

And yet I enjoy this far less. Glad I didn’t pre-order as I’m gonna give it a pass after this beta, and I kind of liked the first one.

This happened to me, you need to reinstall origin. It doesn’t actually take that long. Your games won’t be wiped.

This actually makes the game look pretty dull.

Got it working doing that but I stand by my statement.

Heroes need to lose the regenerating health, I don’t recall it being in the first game.

I like the game and the beta convinced me to pre order. I have massive connection issues though. Looks like I am missing a ton of crates from the challenges I did yesterday.

They didn’t have regenerating health in the original. They just had gobs of health compared to a regular dude.

I really enjoyed the beta. The space flight stuff is a lot of fun though it took me awhile to get comfortable with it. I finally turned off the advanced controls because I was really struggling with the dual stick implementation of rolling. That was especially bad on the Naboo map above the city. I actually liked the design of that one in the sense that it has a very specific focus to each section but I think they should’ve looked to the original for inspiration. The whole NTT thing should function like Walker Assault. Finding a specific on-map bazooka is not consistent with Clone Troopers who would be ultra prepared to take that thing down. The droids crack me up, though. The Roger Roger stuff never gets old. :)

I adored the original game and while this is definitely different, I’m in.

There’s no physical version of this game to pre-order? What the heck is going on?

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Battlefront-II-Digital/dp/B072JZZ4XD/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1507564451&sr=1-5&keywords=star%2Bwars%2Bbattlefront%2B2&th=1

Final thoughts on the beta:

Darth Maul on the Theed assault map is ridiculously overpowered. His double-blades in the dark confines of the doorways and halls of the palace are crazy effective. I saw multiple matches with a Maul player just buzzsawing their way through the opposition. He either needs a nerf, or they need to do something about the bottlenecks in that building. Even just improving the lighting in there so his blades aren’t a blinding red whirl of doom would help. Towards the end of the beta, it really became a race to Maul.

Han Solo had to have been the worst hero of the beta. Plinky gun, sucky health, and an ultra attack that required positioning. They really cut him down from the first game.

Rey was decent although nowhere near as good as Maul. Boba Fett remains a strong all-around hero, but he mostly shines outside the palace where his jetpack gives him the advantage of the vertical attack.

As I got deeper into the beta, the card system really started pushing back on progression. I can definitely see how in higher levels of play, there will be pressure on players to buy their way forward. I’m not a fan of how they directly tied progression and unlocks to the loot boxes.

I think some of the big publishers don’t let Amazon sell preorders for physical copies due to the Prime discount they were giving. It was upsetting other big retailers I guess. So now if you want the physical copy from Amazon you have to wait until release day (and you’ll still get their discount at that point).

That’s crazy, and the first time I’ve seen it. Are they doing that to Best Buy too? They offer 20% off all the time with Gamer’s Club Unlocked!

I’m paying for that discount. Electronic Arts consistently finds ways to upset me. What the hell?

I could do without heroes who don’t belong there chronologically. Han Solo and Rey shouldn’t be selectable on Naboo.

I played and mostly enjoyed the beta.

I also am concerned about the star card stuff. It is super pay to win at the moment. Like game breaking bonuses for those who pay to get higher cards. Almost second guessing my preorder.

Some of the stuff you can stack is crazy.

Totalbiscuit discussion on issue https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DYMDGPSWWA18&ved=0ahUKEwjE85Ds9uPWAhUhwVQKHes2A3MQtwIIHzAA&usg=AOvVaw3mcPncTQpIPkhTvrzOhP-T