Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

Is that the QT3 discord?

Well, it contains a few people from the QT3 Discord, but no. It belongs to a friend of mine.

Well, send me a link then, good sir!

Anyone else happen to be playing on the Oceania server?

Yep, me!

Great, i’ll add you on steam, and if you want we can play some duo.

Wooo chicken dinner :D

I’ve had a few top 5 finishes this week, but at that point in the game I seem to have no idea of what to do. The tactics are so different, and I just get consistently outplayed. Today I got a 2nd place, but it feels like a decent player would have easily won it.

The circle was maybe 30 meters across, centered on a valley with a stone in the middle. Four people remaining: somebody had sniped the only other person who was on my side of the circle. Suddenly all three other players were involved in a general shootout; A was revealed near the middle of the circle, B started shooting at A from exactly the opposite side of the circle from me, C started running toward B to gun him down.

Nobody knew where I was, and I had a VSS and an AR with a holographic sight. Should have been a simple win. But I froze since I wasn’t sure whom to shoot at. Only once C had emerged as a victor did I empty a clip of the VSS on him. (Forgetting to zoom, since I just couldn’t think under pressure, so I’m sure most of it missed). Just that moment the circle contracted to the rock in the middle of the valley, he ran behind the rock, and now I had 30 seconds to storm the middle of the map and kill him. So I crawled forward a bit, opened my inventory to figure out what grenades I could use, and exactly at that moment he stepped out from behind the rock and shot me.

So, I’ve thought for the last 15 minutes about how I really should have played it. Feels like any of the following would have been better:

• Continue crawling forward while the others fight, since the rock was going to be the only cover available no matter where the circle ended up at, and I knew where all the others were so I could be on the right side of it.
  • Just start shooting at anyone with the VSS, since it won’t give away my location in the middle of the firefight
  • If I wanted to wait until just one player remained, I should have switched to the AR since the VSS is so bad at range. At that point it would have been important to just get damage, not to try to stay hidden.
  • Once I’d emptied the VSS and not won, and the opponent was running to behind the rock, I should have switched to any other gun and done the same. Not waste time reloading, nor waste time crawling. Both of those were just giving him the opportunity to heal.
  • Once the opponent was behind a rock, I should have immediately thrown the two smokes I knew I had equipped, since they need some time to function, and I certainly wasn’t going to save them for later. And only once the smokes were out and maybe providing some cover, take the risk of going to the inventory to equip a frag or a stun.

But live and learn. At least it feels like the chicken dinner is within reach, unlike a few weeks ago.

Yep, sounds like you had an advantage - knowing where everyone else was while maybe they did not know where you were. Without a suppressed weapon, the best move would definitely be to remain hidden and let them kill each other. With the VSS, maybe take some shots, but again remaining hidden and exploiting 3rd person view to keep yourself out of sight may be the better option. And, as you correctly surmise, strategic use of grenades at that stage as well, either as cover, or as diversion. Grenades, while super important, are hard, you need to think about them early. If you are already under fire and in the open, it’s to late - switching and throwing will get you killed. You have to be proactive with them.

It’s part of the challenge of this game, you can go from woah to go in the space of a heartbeat and that really stresses your decision making when it matters. Circle RNG can really kill an otherwise solid run, too.

Anytime I get in a firefight during this game, I can tend to panic and play poorly.

I’m playing a solo round and find myself on the other side of island. The circle is starting to close in. I see a GAZ in the distance. It’s my only chance to survive so I make a run for it. It’s in the open so I use freelook to scan around as I come up to it from behind. I jump in and take off. The circle closing in behind us. Yup, us. It’s then I notice the guy in the backseat. He must have been afk. I’m thinking let’s see where this goes and keep driving. It looks like he came back to a surprise. He starts trying to shoot at me from inside the car but the shots don’t land. I’m darting around trees and over hills, trying to find a cliff to drive him off of. He starts switching seats but the shots still don’t hit. Finally, there’s a clang and I’m dead, killed by a frying pan. I think I pulled off the first kidnapping in Battlegrounds.

Oh you can definitely be shot by a passenger while driving.

– Someone who has been TK’d by a careless squaddie.

I’ve actually been in the back seat trying to kill the driver but didn’t manage to hit him with a gun. But before I thought of trying my melee weapon, he stopped, got out promptly, and killed me. But I have seen videos of people in the back shooting out with a shotgun and accidentally hitting the person in front of them.

Why is this game so god awfully laggy? I lost two games now because it went into lag stutter mode only to come back when I’m already killed.

I’m 110+ hours in, and I’ve yet to have any game as laggy as that. Sure it’s not something on your end (especially since your enemies don’t seem to have any lag since they’re easily able to kill you) ?

This is the only game I have lag issues with. Google tells me there are heaps of people with these problems the past few months, mainly on the EU servers.

I play mostly on EU and, as said, haven’t noticed any major lag issues so far, and definitely nothing like what you describe. Most of the lag I’ve had has been in the beginning of a round, after landing, when opening doors and picking up loot have been a bit wonky. But even that has mostly been when playing on other servers like NA and AS.

The other time I’ve had lag has been when using OBS and my CPU spiked at 100%, but that was obviously on my end.

I know a lot of streamers have issues with laggy servers.

Beginning of round seems to be the worst case and it’s certainly gotten better.

I have experienced bad lag when encountering another player for the first time in a while. I had made it to top 7 a couple days ago and died because as soon as another player appeared in front of my my framerate went to shit. I saw him first and should have been able to drop him but I couldn’t aim at all and by the time I stopped lagging he had already got into cover and taken a few potshots at me.

I also ran into an issue the other night where I made it to top ten, had a supply drop fall in my lap but I was unable to drop anything in my inventory or swap out the useless crossbow I was carrying for the top tier sniper rifle and 8x scope inside. I spent so long popping in and out of my inventory trying to drop or unequip something eventually another player showed up and capped me.