Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

Knocked out people can still drag stuff out of their inventory onto the ground. So dying teammates can help you out without the need for a TK.

I think this is another case where there is a perverse incentive for streamers to provide “exciting” or “for the lols” content at the expense of team play. It’s not good for the game as a whole, but people who use the game as an arena for their video content are playing by a different set of meta-priorities than most players.

Maybe most well-socialized people want to play to win or play in cooperation with an eye towards getting better and developing a reputation and trustworthiness. Watching a number of popular streamers playing games like DayZ, Rust, and PUBG, it does seem to me that the streamers act like goons because it gets more views, so their gameplay is not about winning, because there is more revenue for them in team-killing, betrayal, and asshattery.

Agree with you, but here’s the only scenario i can think of being in that’s part of the 0.01%…

I’ve been in two game situations where it was either necessary or advantageous to kill a team member. Both situations involved the team member getting disconnected during the game. In the first, the squad was in a boat and the player that dc’d was piloting the boat. When they dc’d, the game kept their player driving the boat in the same vector they were when they dc’d. We had to kill the player driving the boat to recover control of it (i assume that would happen in other vehicles too). The other time(same player) dc’d, we were on foot in the middle of the zone - in this case, the player character just stopped moving and was standing in the middle of the field. We shot him and took his loot to prevent it from being taken by an opponent and from pinpointing where we were (though we did talk about the merit of leaving him alive as a human ‘drop crate’ to snipe at anyone coming to loot him :)

Oh those situations are fine to TK, nobody will fault you for that. You really have no option in the first case, nor the second as you can’t leave the loot for others to scavenge. Sometimes a DC will come back, depending on if it was a game crash or network lag, though.

I’ve never seen an actual dc be allowed back. i had hoped it’s by game design to prevent some of the ‘situational distortions’ that can be manipulated by the players (ie, in dayz if someone has you cornered in a building, you could log out, go to another server, move around behind your attacker, then relog back into your original server to get the jump on them). While this exact thing couldnt be done in pubg, just getting a temporal advantage could be sufficient to cause mayhem (player has you trapped, you log out, wait some time, then log back in to maybe take advantage of the situation).

The only thing I’ve seen close has been a graphics card crash which was restored and put me back in the game - but i think technically i never actually left the game, but was only booted back to windows while the system tried to restore the graphics…

Have you seen actual dc’s allowed back in the game?

Speaking of team killing…

One of my team mates yelled out “they’re to the left” which got me all panicked… Of course, it didn’t help that their names blended in with the blue electricity field. But at least it ended well because otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to live down the shame.

Great game, fully suppressed duo. Good circle positioning at the end allowed me to get the drop on the last guy, who for some strange reason, was standing exposed at the very top of a hill.

I keep getting into the top 10 in solo and not closing it out. FRUSTRATING!

My solo rating was pretty high because I would normally at least get in the top 20, but I was getting a bit bored so I decided to go get some action and just do whatever I feel like.

Dropping at the school or wherever I see tons of people jump. Last night I decided a punch fight sounded like fun and thought about how I could get one. I decided that people are lame and that the probability of at least one or more people trying to farm afk players was very likely. So I sat in the plane until it ejected me and didn’t touch a button until I landed. Sure enough there was three other people there and only one real afk guy. I took out the afk to steal their satisfaction and punched two of the lively dudes to death and the other one ran away.

Then I stole a motorcycle someone parked outside a house and went practicing backflips until I died.

Basically the game is not only still in EA with servers that are very low precision, but by design it’s (made up number) 75% random. That being the case, I am starting to treat it more like a goofy mp roguelike where I expect to die in dumb ways I can’t always avoid and just do whatever seems fun at the time.

Yeah, solo can be rough. I’ve been playing duos and squads a lot more lately (now that more of my friends have gotten the game), and although we don’t necessarily get better higher placements, how we die seems a lot more fair.

I’m very excited to see what first person only servers bring to the jamboree, but their servers should be the top priority imo. Maybe they have a good plan for that which just takes time, but they currently have the worst performing servers for any popular mp game period. I’ll be super happy if they can manage to correct that by release, but that’s a pretty small window going by their stated goals that it slightly worries me.

FOV Slider for FPS view inbound as well!

I believe most of their server issues are less ‘server’ issues and more engine netcode issues. It’s a problem they are aware of and working to fix, but it seems to require some significant work.

They host on AWS, so unless they are skimping on service, there should be no worse performance than dozens of others that run on AWS. They ran a test a month or so ago where they doubled resource allocation and it made zippo difference to lagginess, so if that is to be believed, it is not an infrastructure issue.

It has improved over the last couple of major patches though.

Yeah, it’s a weird thing. I read in passing that the are sending significantly less data than before, but the actual networking performance has not changed and is effectively 20 tick rate when their goal is 60 (which is good, anything less in a shooter feels bad).

Aw man, c’mon!

Never tried it on the shacks, but if you can get on the ledges in front of the windows maybe you can hop on the open door and make it to the roof?

I’ll try it later for science. I know some of the buildings with the tiny balconies with railings you can do something similar.

Bet you could jump onto the roof from the rocks behind the shed!

Ya, I think you can totally get that. Be thankful it’s not on the roof of a high rise building with no roof access or in the middle of the water…

Oh, just an fyi for anyone that doesn’t know - the spawn island(ne corner) actually spawns loot during the game(though not on the tables) and you can make it there and back on a boat if the zones collapse with any sort of east side bias (and you have planned accordingly).

I drove a boat out there last week for shits and as my luck goes I didn’t get jack shit and the circle popped up in the southwest heh.

I still drove to shore and immediately grabbed a car and almost made it, but not quite.

My rng loot luck is actually terrible. I generally find like half a dozen pistol suppressors and rarely what I want. I looted half of the north coastal town near the shooting range last night and didn’t find a single rifle. Literally every building on the east side of the road.