Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

I kidnapped a man two nights ago.

I was playing duo and we landed at the south end of Yasnaya? I think that’s the name (middle-north on the map). Turns out that about six other people landed with us. My partner dies in about thirty seconds while I’m having a punch fight with the guy who landed directly in front of me.

After I was suddenly alone, I decided to run to try and find some weapons and hand out sweet revenge, but the punchy guy decided I was not going to evade him. He chased me across the entire town between buildings and playgrounds and ultimately to the far northwest road where I spotted a buggy.

My intention was to either run him over or drive away for loot, but he was too close and ended up hopping in the back seat. After driving a bit in confusion and laughing more than is healthy when piloting a buggy, I decided it was Thelma and Louise time. I drove all the way to the far northwest point (which was now the opposite side of map from the circle) and drove us off the cliff into the sea.

We frollicked like insane defenseless dolphins until the circle killed us.

Twitch streamer “Dr Disrespect” violated the Battlegrounds code of conduct when he team-killed a buddy during a stream. (I didn’t even know they had an official code of conduct!) Dr Disrespect took his ban rather badly.

Brendan “Playerunnkown” Greene replied, then explained on Twitlonger.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sq1o2p

[quote]
“When I was in college, many years ago, I had a disagreement with my flat mate. Instead of talking it out like men, he decided to get aggressive and while I was backing away from him, he kicked me in the chest and put my head through a plate glass door. Thankfully, I don’t suffer from any ill effects due to this experience.

The point of that story is to attempt to explain why I think even the threat of violence is not something that should be joked about. Given my experience in college, and the fact that The Doc’s threat, even as a joke, synced up closely to a bad experience I endured, it could have brought up bad memories, triggered a panic attack or had other consequences The Doc might not have intended when composing the tweet.”[/quote]

Dr Disrespect is pretty funny and all, but this has gotten a touch out of hand.

I know he plays an asshole character, but turning his fanbase against PU seems like a pretty shitty thing to do over this, especially since way too many don’t seem to realize he’s just playing a character.

Interesting I was actually watching another pubg streamer yesterday (grimmz) when they were duoing together. This must have happened after that.

EDIT: it actually happened later on in the same stream, and I know Playerunknown himself was in the stream chatting with viewers so the Doc probably did it right in front of Playerunknown himself.

I don’t think Doc has “turned” his playerbase against anyone. They’re just a bunch of shithead 14 year olds that are raging on their own because they aren’t old enough to grasp the larger implications of the situation.

Maybe that wasn’t his intention, but cause and effect. You can’t just make the “it’s just a character” excuse and pretend you have no responsibility for how your fans react to your actions.

I parachuted into Rozhok today and it was a real ghost town. I am quite sure I was the only one, I’ve never seen that before.

Anyway, I have played quite a bit of this game now and I am able to get into the top #10 fairly regularly if I don’t start in the areas that get swarmed. I suck at closing the deal, though. Most final battles end in wide open areas, and I am just never able to see and kill a guy before he wastes me. This is even when I luck out and have a 4 or 8x scope by the end.

Any tips for those final moments?

The game is unique for me in that I actually get nervous and scared sometimes when an enemy comes nearby, which totally ruins my aim. It’s really able to make me feel invested in a round, so good.

For the latter, just jump into spicy areas in the beginning and get used to seeing and shooting other people. There’s no other way to learn that. Otherwise you just scoot around for 20-30 minutes and then choke when you see someone.

For the end game, awareness is key. Try to anticipate where other people may be, and remembering where you’ve heard shots earlier in the game definitely helps here. But, of course, sometimes you’ll just get fucked, either by moving to an area with lots of people, or having to run too far to the next circle.

I also find (as a player with a similar style) that the closer you get to the endgame the more likely that houses and cars are deathtraps. Better to anticipate the final circles, and find some high ground, preferably with a rock, and.or a tree, or two rocks and a tree… or something. Also, stay in the shade…

Pretty much what Fozzle said.

oh! and one other thing to note: When the circles start getting really small, and there are still a dozen people left alive don’t assume every shot you hear is headed for you. I’ve seen a ton of people panic and jump up when they hear shots, only to get slaughtered seconds later by all the other people hiding in the bushes. Stay down unless you hear a zip! or feel a hit. Chances are very very good that not only are there people on your left hiding just like you are, but there’s also a few on the right =)

Just LOL.
https://www.greenmangaming.com/newsroom/2017/07/19/twitch-streamer-drdisrespect-banned-playeruknowns-battlegrounds/
TL;DR; " Friendly Fire = On, One player kills another, gets banned from either the entire game or just a server…"

Either way: wtf. Isn’t the whole point of the game to kill other players?

Edit: Saw it was talked about upthread now.

Other players, yes. Team members, no.

In a resource gathering game, I’m sure there are several situations where one of the better choices would be to kill someone on your team to deny the resources from the enemy.

Q: Does this game run on a central server, or player hosted ones?

Dedicated servers. And you’re not thinking about griefing, which is the main reason for banning people who do this. If you’re playing with friends only, you’re cool to kill anyone on your team (though the friendship may suffer).

I’d think it would add to the suspense that your team mates may at any time backstab you to get that new SCAR rifle you just looted, even though you maybe already had another weapon. If you could easily ‘friend’ those you played with who were good, then consistently group with them through the game UI, then the “backstabber” players would - through their interactions - end up without team mates, or be ‘shunned’ by the rest. Heck, make it so that the player is ‘flagged’ for penalty-free killing, all without banning anyone.

I’ve played other games with FF=ON (like CS) and happened upon griefers. Found the best way to deal with them back then was to kill them at the start of a round, so as to not have them backstab you later (that also included those who would “pluck” at your health a few times, just to annoy you… even though you in some cases then would be reported for teamkilling by other players for some unicorn reason - better to be kicked than let a griefer stay alive.

I guess that is the risk of dedicated servers (or drm for that matter), you pay for a game to play, but the publisher can at any time make your $ investment worthless.

Oh well. The video from the stream with McMaster running after someone with a frying pan looked fun.

This is what The Division was trying to do, and let me tell you, it sounds a lot better in theory than in practice.

And having played 150+ hours of PUBG now, I don’t want this in the game ever.

Edit: also, in 99.99% of all cases you’re less likely to win if you kill a team member. Allowing it would only be good for griefers.

I guess you could use the guy you wanted to kill as bait/cannonfodder instead, assuming he doesn’t stand next to you doing jumping jacks while you’re trying to hide, and just wait for an enemy to plug him and move in for the loot, then kill the enemy.

Q: Is it possible to plant explosives on other players, vehicles, etc for remote detonation?

Found biggest issue after a while with Division was the cheating in PVPZone, but after my group quit playing I stuck mostly to coop in PVE areas so there it didn’t matter.

That’s a bad use case. You’re better off both staying alive covering each other in the late game, than having one dead and you with slightly more loot alone.

I can only presume you haven’t played the game?