Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

I got a pair of white pants for mine

If you really wanted that pink skirt instead of some trainers or white pants, you should just have bought it from the marketplace at the fair market value of… $450?!

The early access crate containing cosmetic items you could only get by buying into the beta is selling for about a thousand dollars. So I’m not too surprised by skirt prices.

I’ve paid for my copy of the game by selling two jackets and three unopened crates.

Should be interesting to see what numbers it gets today, since normally the weekly peak is on Sundays, and the top records so far were on Friday and Saturday this week (522k and 545k respectively).

This game is such a rush. I had my best game so far earlier, made it to #5 however killed 6 peeps along the way. I’ve made it to #2 a few times but hadn’t killed that many people along the way. I had an AKM with 8x scope. The circle killed me, which was a little anti-climatic but still. Hadn’t had this much fun in a MP game since LOTRO or TF2.

The only thing that annoys me a little is that they are selling keys for a cosmetic loot box when the game cost $30 and is uber popular. Seems like a money grab to me.

EDIT: To continue the discussion above, it hit 580k today!

They aren’t keeping the money; their announcement said the money would be used for the organization and price pool of the Gamescom tournament, and anything extra being donated to charity.

Obviously in the future they’re going to be printing money by selling cosmetics (apparently after leaving early access). But AAA game publishers will already sell you a game for $60 and then sell you loot crates for money. So I don’t know that Battlegrounds should be taking a ton of flak for doing the same.

Not sure if even worse behaviour can be used to justify an action. That’s one of the reasons I avoid Overwatch. I did play and enjoy Guild Wars 2, but those gentle micro transactions replaced a monthly sub fee. I also said I only found it a “little annoying”, i’m not exactly raging here.

Although that is indeed better than just pocketing the money, I don’t want to bankroll their gamescom tournament. Setting the game up as an esport with good prize money (which I cant see happening as you can only spectate one person at a time?) will increase game sales significantly, so they really should be funding at least the first couple of tournaments themselves given the money they’re rolling around in. From memory that’s what Valve did with the first couple of Internationals, and DOTA 2 is a free game too.

The game does have built in broadcasting tools for spectating matches with omniscience, but only server admins can access them.

Yeah, the spectator tools are pretty good, and is available to anyone who has access to setup custom servers.

That was until Valve figured out the current model, which is where the users pay for these tournaments by buying cosmetics (like here). I know Microsoft does the same with Halo and Gears, and I’m sure others do it as well.

For me it’s pretty easy: if you don’t like it don’t buy it. Would you prefer no new cosmetics at all if that was the alternative?

Judging solely by their stated plans, they are planning to continue development and keep servers up long term because of the crate system once the game is fully released. Regardless of how many more copies of the game itself they move, I really don’t mind that they were planning long term from the beginning and intended for this to have some real longevity.

There’s still lots of potential yet to be seen here and if they only manage to add the things they’re already working on and add some extra polish people will be playing this a very long time.

I changed my mind about first-person. I think I like it more, but I think I only like it because I’ve been doing better with it. I have a hard time articulating why I would enjoy it more otherwise.

In one game, I drove a car to a small group of buildings to hole up for a while in one of those two-level sorta-apartments with the one staircase at the back. I was in a room at the end of a hallway. It was quiet for several minutes and I remained in the circle for two phases. Someone approached in a buggy and saw my vehicle, so they started going through the building.

In third-person, I would have waited on the left side of the hallway facing it, so I would be able to see anyone approaching without them seeing me. Instead, I was crouched on the right side of the hallway, watching the corner. It was a moment of “fair” tension that wouldn’t have existed in third-person, since neither of us was able to shift the balance of information.

First-person seems to also favor prone play in grass, since your opponents can’t tilt the camera to get a top-down view. I’ve gotten quite a few first-person kills in the small circle by going prone and having people run right at me.

So yeah, I think I like it.

That’s 100k more than last week. I guess many people are spending more time grinding points to buy those crates…

Probably because 3rd person becomes a massive camp fest with people popping out from cover with their magical vision and shooting you. :P

That’s true, and I also had thought that going to first-person would radically cut down on that. Camping a good spot is still probably the best way to last a long time and get kills, but first-person rewards you more for setting up your camp early and finding a good spot. In third-person, basically any spot where you’re hidden is a good one, because you can just freelook around. In first-person, you need to find positioning and cover that also offers your player camera good visibility, which is somewhat harder.

Maybe I’m overthinking it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CS:GO cosmetic DLC reselling!

$406 for an in-game purple miniskirt

Shoot. Do any of those come out of the free crates? I have a bunch of coins that I’m just not using because I don’t really care what my dude looks like.