Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

Watching a sniper rifle bullet ricochet off the frying pan covering your butt is a joy you will never have playing in the first person servers.

Just had a 6 hours session playing squad with friends, and damn this game is addictive. “Just one more round.” And then suddenly it was way past 3 am.

Me and @Eric_Majkut ended up on a team last night. We were in the same game as Gary Whitta and the fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss.

Turns out the sealed chest at the end of Kvothes bed is actually filled with our ass whipping.

Yeah, that was a great game :)

That whole tournament was pretty awesome. Jeff is planning on doing another one soon and I’m definitely playing again!

Yeah, playing a tournament against like-minded people sounds like a blast.

Btw, Jason:

That’s weird. I unblocked him.

Finally got around to trying this and an hour later sent in my refund request. Holy hell what a mess! I tried every fix I could find but all I kept seeing was freezing and assets not fully loading.

I don’t have a problem with rough edges but the game needs to be playable.

That’s a shame, I haven’t had very many technical issues. Maybe give it another go when it’s fully out and these types of bugs (hopefully) all ironed out? It’s a really fun game, worth the second look!

What kind of potato are you guys trying to play the game on? I’m in a Discord with dozens of people and I haven’t heard anything like that. And we have some people with some slow ass PCs. One guy has a Geforce 660.

The thing that I’ve heard cause asset loading problems is installing the game on a HDD. Things like buildings not loading at all, or only loading as low level of detail lumps until 5 minutes into the game. You really need to run it off a SSD.

I think there’s more weird times it can happen, and might occasionally be server related. I have it on my ssd and 16GB of ram and I’ve had it happen a few times, but not very often.

Do any of you have rules for backseat gaming in squads, or isn’t it a problem? We have a general rule to just point out enemies, but some people in our group tend to forget and try to give orders (“go right”, “go prone”, “look left”, etc.). even though the player they’re observing is already in a stressful situation. This can, of course, be extremely annoying for that player.

My friends and I had an agreement in Counter Strike we came up with ahead of time that worked pretty well.

• Cut all non-essential chatter when you were dead.
  • Assume that the living player(s) had basic competency (so no calling out an enemy that just peeked out in front of them, for example).
  • NEVER coach them on what they’re doing in the moment. Don’t tell them what gun to choose, and don’t give them directions or commands. Assume they have as much skill as you do.
  • If you must speak, do so in as few words as possible, only say it once, and do so from a place of helpfulness (when it’s clear the living player missed something or may have forgotten something).

People get amped up during games, though, so someone will inevitably get too excited and try to over-help. In those cases, I would just ask them to quiet down so you can listen to the audio cues (which are actually pretty important in PUBG), and remind them that it’s a hundred times easier to be a spectator than it is to play while spectated.

That’s some good advice, thanks!

There was a post on RPS (i think) about improving comms that I found very helpful and I’ve been practicing using it lately to try to get better. I’ll try to paraphrase but essentially it’s 4 activities: ATTENTION: OBJECT: LOCATION: details

ATTENTION: I typically use the word CONTACT for observed players, and the word SPOTTED for objects of interest (loot crate, drivable car)
OBJECT: typically # and players, but could be vehicle, or item on ground(gun etc)
LOCATION: typically bearing, but can be marker, or ‘on me’ for lower priority items
details: can be anything else important like direction of travel, distance, or ‘danger close’ etc

So, i mighjt say something like Contact, 2 players, bearing 220, moving west or Spotted, empty vehicle, on road

Since I’ve been trying to practice this i find it’s been helping me focus my chatter when i’m dead…

Of course, the hard part now once you start getting into this kind of thing is putting up with your rambling friends that can’t seem to be convinced that this is a good thing and spout stuff like ‘uh, i think i see something, up ahead…’

That was from PC Gamer:

We use it (or try to anyway) when we’re alive, but it can be a bit much if 3 people are screaming it while observing. :)

I’m currently wondering why you chose Grand Vizier for your Patreon tag instead of the above.

It was taken :(

Is it just me (or my settings) but does this game have a very washed-out look? Not only does it seem very washed-out but it seems just ever so slightly slightly out of focus too.

Might be you? Washed out I can kind of see but no focus issues