Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

Gratz!

Still no better than 17 solo and around 8 duo. I haven’t done enough gun fighting to get a decent feel for the weapons and projectile physics. Meanwhile forgetting to change firing mode when I do gets me killed a lot.

This makes a great palette cleanser from Overwatch, if I can teach my Duo partner to temper his desire to just go all gung-ho on everyone we come across.

This is the closest I’ve been:

I think I need to work on my potato aim to be able win.

Yes. My aim is…not good. Particularly due to the nature of the game where after sneaking around looting you finally get into a firefight and it is balls to the wall ‘oh fuck, oh shit, shoot, shoot, shoot!’ deadly action. Super tense and my aim becomes potato-like under the pressure.

I started intentionally dropping where I thought people would be to force early fights because the more I fight the better I get at it. That way when it comes down to me and one other I can actually hit them. The time I won I tried to drop where people were, but ended up being alone AND where the circle was.

For me, it feels good when I get more than 1 kill in a round, even though most of them are usually in the style of Robert Ford. Though I think 3 or 4 are the most I’ve gotten so far.

the game feels much more relaxed in duos and squad fwiw. People tend to play a bit less campy and tense when they are in groups.

Yeah, it is nice to have a little comfort in not needing 360 degree vision because you have a partner or two.

Coaching my regular duo part is proving challenging, however, as he just struggles with patience. Opens fire as soon as he sees someone and barely before he has communicated their position well enough for team mates to get a bearing.

Starting to get a handle on a couple of the weapons. There is not that much bullet drop (yet), particularly at my typical engagement range, but you do need to be accurate. The servers seem to be suffering a fair amount of inconsistency in their sync/latency as well, so there is that. At the moment, being the aggressor seems to be more favourable as you may have the server advantage.

Not my usual style of game, but I picked this up after being exposed to the hype and it really is very good. If anyone wants to team up to play in a squad my Steam name is, also, skedastic. (Disclaimer: I am not any good at shooting people, which is sort of important in this game.)

My partner is a good shot, but tends to have zero target acquisition ability which is a frustrating combo. After a fight hearing ‘I have no idea what you were shooting at’ is not what I want to hear. ;) Thankfully the fact that he is a good shot means that if I can communicate where the target is well enough that he sees them, we’re good.

Some friends and I got a squad win last night. Here’s the last 10 mins or so :D

I picked the game up earlier this week with my 10% humble monthly discount. I’d been watching the Giant Bomb streams and when I heard some people at work were playing that pushed me over the edge. So far I’ve played over 7 hours according to Steam and made it top ten a couple times, top 5 once and top 30 with some regularity.

It’s all been said before but this really is a brilliant distillation of the formula so many of these Battle Royale games have attempted.Haven’t had a chance to play a group game yet, but single queue has been a ton of fun. I’ve done the very foolish thing of watching the Austin and Patrick from Waypoint stream the game on one monitor while playing on my other monitor. Really messes up my ability to accurately hear enemies.

I also grabbed this because of Giant Bomb, and I felt quite pleased when I managed my first kill on game #3. Only managed one more kill in the two games I’ve played since, but I’m having fun and feel like I’m making progress. I’d like to find a group to play with, though.

Same here, seems to be a few people playing it on the Discord - only problem is that I’m in the UK and I suspect ya’ll are across the pond. I’ve got a couple of kills now, one with my fists after a fairly ridiculous chase from the start - but these are outnumbered by the times I gave myself away and got murderised.

If anyone wants an invite to my Discord group let me know. We’re trying to get a group of regular players so people can meet up in there for matches. We have at least a couple of Europeans already, but I don’t think it’s entirely impossible for NA and EU to play together. We’ve got 8-10 folks that are in there most nights looking for some squad matches :)

Another ten games in, and I still haven’t been able to get more than a single kill, and not consistently at that. I hope I’m not hitting my ceiling with this.

I found that intentionally dropping where I’m going to be forced into a fight early helped me get more shooting experience more quickly which helps when I start playing ‘right’ again. Problem with playing the correct survival way from the start is you make it to late game, have no skill in shooting well and then get wrecked.

Yep, I have also started dropping into more early contested zones to force some gunplay in order to improve. The servers are also suffering from lag and desync, so sometimes your effectiveness is affected by the current game code. At the moment, it seems to favour the aggressor in 1v1’s, so keep that in mind.

Also, shotguns. They are extremely effective at far more than typical shotgun ‘video game’ ranges, particularly when fitted with a choke. They are good for 50-60ft - enough to keep an enemy on his toes, anyway.

I’ve had my best luck so far jumping as soon as possible, and killing someone with my fists before they have a chance to grab a gun.

Played 4 games. After the first game where I didn’t even know the controls, I’ve finished 8th, 13th and 4th. Total number of kills so far: 0. I’ve shot at people 4-5 times, and possibly hit somebody once. But not quite sure. Makes me wonder a bit about what 90% of the players are doing :)

My greatest achievement so far is stealing somebody’s car and driving away when they came to loot “my” settlement.

It’s really fun, but I need to come up with a better setup. Steam in-home streaming is just not cutting it: somehow it ends up at 720p and the mouse movement is incredibly janky. Neither has been a problem with any other game before.

Maybe I’ll try hiding in the tall grass and see if I can survive to the end by avoiding conflict.