Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

I hope they have cross platform servers, I might actually have a chance against people using controllers.

They did, and by the time Rise of the Tomb Raider made it over to PlayStation, the game was DOA. A year difference can scuttle a game for an audience.

So how do you guys duo?

My friend and I do pretty well in solo games, but whenever we group up our statistics drop precipitously. It seems like most games end where I am pushing out a bit ahead of my partner (perhaps keeping watch outside while he finishes looting a house or whatever), I spot someone, and then I engage the tango before I get killed in the side or from behind by the baddie’s partner. I then get to enjoy spectating my friend for a minute before he dies from a similar 2v1 matchup.

It’s clear we need to improve our coordination and teamwork, but I am curious whether more successful duos stick very close to each other, such as always being in the same building together, or if they also adopt this more loose approach to relative proximity?

^

• Don’t engage other player(s) unless your friend is near or you are certain you’re going to drop them.
  • Call out as good as possible information about the enemies to your friend (read the PC Gamer communication article linked earlier in this thread).
  • Keep fairly close together if you know or suspect there are other players nearby.

Which is why that’s probably not going to happen, at least not general cross platform play. But there could be option for console players to play with PC players (like in Gears 4), which would be nice.

I’m curious how this does on consoles. I think there’s a decent chance this is a Counter-Strike scenario where it’s huge on PC but doesn’t really take off on consoles.

I guess I need to play this. I’ve avoided multiplayer for years to save time. This seems like a gaming event I need to experience.

Another thing to remember, which may not seem obvious, is the downed system. The downed system is only in place if at least two people remain on another team, otherwise it’s an instakill. Therefore, if you shoot someone and down them, you know their partner is still alive. Switch your attention to finding that threat. Going for downed enemies is often a bad idea, as their buddy will tap you while you are distracted on something that can’t shoot back.

I may have to pry my head out of Agents of Mayhem long enough to play some. @Becoming and I have been playing FPP duos if anyone wants to join us.

This game really is so good. If you generally skip multiplayer games and shooters, this might be the one to make an exception for.

But oh boy am I bad at this game. I just played a round where I was the most kitted out I’ve ever been, died in the most stupid fashion to the first person I ran into. My awesome sniper rifle and x8 scope! Noooooo…

This is MP that doesn’t waste much of your time. You can find matches nearly instantly and when you are killed you can leave the server that instant (Solo) and start a new match. Very little downtime altogether.

You can also dictate your own pacing. If you want near immediate combat parachute into a larger city and have confrontations right off the bat. If you want a quieter slower start parachute into a remote tiny village and gear up in relative peace.

I have a friend who haven’t played mp shooters since Action Quake 2 and he’s loving it just as much as the rest of us.

it The only problem with this game, is that I cannot play it before bed as it leaves me so jittery and hyper that I can’t sleep.

Thinking of playing a few lunchtime rounds every day, if people want to play duos around 12-2 EST I’ll be on Steam/Discord.

Yeah to be clear, I’m not worried about enjoying it. That’s silly. Of course I will. The problem is the addiction, and the stress just before bedtime.

Yeah, sorry, I misread you. It can be addictive though, especially if you play with friends.

I actually have a couple games I used to “decompress” between PUBG and bedtime.

I play Passpartout or Abzu or something similar to take the edge off before bed. Although playing in duos and squads doesn’t leave me anywhere near as tense as playing solo. I’m not entirely sure why, but figure it’s something about the constant communication that takes the edge off.

In other news, I just sold a pretend skirt for $250. I’ve made a little over $400 out of selling crates and cosmetics for PUBG thus far.

This game is amazing.

Where do you get these real money item crates?

My first game ended when I went to the inventory screen, it locked up a moment, and I learned I had been shot.

In game from the reward screen. You use points earned playing the game to buy the crates. One particular crate, (the Gamescom crate), then requires a key to open and that key costs $2.50. The other crates are free to open.

You can sell the crates themselves, or you can roll the dice and see what’s inside and sell that.

Most of the stuff is going for under a buck, but there’s a few rare items going for nice amounts and you can even get a box that contains a complete outfit and those are selling for around $600.

The Gamescom crates are in game until 8/28.

Or open them and use the item to dress up your character! If FPP really takes off I wonder what effect that will have on cosmetic sales. I bet they wouldn’t be any near as attractive if it’s only your enemies that ever see them.

This is okay so far. Maybe I will like it more as I improve. I got one kill on my first night so I’m satisfied.

I really goofed up my last game. I didn’t realize how fast the damage goes for those final circles. I could’ve made it easily, I just wasn’t paying attention to my health bar.

So close

Now let’s see if I can fall asleep.