Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

CHINA NUMBAAAA ONNEEEEE

Why are USA player numbers dropping?

9 months, same map?
no real updates in gameplay in 2 months?
destiny2?
other games?

personally…pissed that consoles get launched before pc…hey, i know you guys gave us all our money, but…

Wow, there’s only one map? That sucks.

I was also not aware there was only 1 static map, I thought it was randomized map.

Eh, not really. It is large enough, with enough variation within the map itself, the starting flight path and where the circle constricts that it keeps it fairly fresh. It is not like playing 2Fort over and over.

Also, in this kind of game a degree of familiarity is welcome.

Good idea in theory. But in reality procedural generation usually sucks too, unless it’s really basic like SimCity 2000. I’ve messed around with World Machine a fair bit, but have so far not been satisfied with any of my results.

Yeah, for that type of scale and nuance it’s hard. Back when Ark enabled randomly generated arks for custom servers the results could be interesting, but it could just as likely be a horror show in some awful way.

And the Xbox release is on their preview program or whatever they call it. It will not be 1.0 before the pc version is. The only real annoyance there was from silly reddit kids that assumed that console release of any kind would slow down the pc version even though they said they had a separate team working on it. Just internet things.

The new desert flavored map is supposed to be released around then and if they pull it off that should be by the end of the year roughly.

Lol, what? The console “release” is in the preview program and will be behind the PC version.

I’ve never bothered selling anything on the steam market, but with the Gamescom crates now going for over $8, it felt like time to clear that stash. I was never going to buy keys to open them anyway. So that’s PUBG having paid for itself, and then some.

And after getting started, I then sold all the other pubg inventory crap, as long as it was more expensive than a few pennies. I really don’t understand who is buying these. (I can understand wanting a distinct and rare cosmetic, like some of the better things in the Gamescom crates. I can’t understand spending 50 cents on a charcoal tanktop that’s totally indistinguishable from the black one. Or the rimless sunglasses).

I’ve never sold anything on the Steam market either but I just made $1500 selling the Playerunknowns scarf, red high tops, and coat. I was just browsing and couldn’t believe they were going for that much considering I only paid $10 for the whole set when I pre-ordered.

I’m set for life with my steam wallet. Can’t imagine I’ll be running out anytime soon.

That’s insane! How do I figure out if I have anything valuable? I’ve never checked.

https://steamcommunity.com/market/search?appid=578080

So why would anyone buy those items at those prices? I bet many do it because they think they’ll make a profit.

The only way to get those items is to have bought in during the alpha. Earlier Access? Earliest Access?

I have to expect they’re going mostly to streamers who are essentially spending other people’s money on the items, because if there are genuinely people out there paying a grand of their own money for a pretend coat then I need to rethink life.

And I say that as someone who has made about $500 out of PUBG. (Yay miniskirts.)

All of the names that bought the items were Asian. I was amazed that they all sold within a half hour of posting them.

You forgot to mention…cheaters. There are tons of cheaters out of China, farming crates and selling good for cash, or outright advertising their cheats via their usernames (appending a Chinese messenger ID to their handles). The leaderboards all over the world for weeks have been dominated by players with ridiculous K:D ratios (100’s:1) and BH can’t ban them fast enough and have been terribly slow to respond publicly with an action plan. That has probably soured the experience for a bunch of players.

ESP, aimbots, no-recoil macros, speed cheats, you name it. With no kill-cam and until recently no easy way to report players, it has been rather annoying. No-recoils in particular, I think there are tons and tons of people using simple mouse macros or AHK scripts to significantly reduce recoil. Some nights it seems in every engagement the enemy has a laser gun.

After a game night last week, I commented that all our engagements had seemed much better, longer, more frantic, more missed shots from the enemy, etc. Un-coincidentally it was a few days after BH had implemented a new detection algorithm.

Played a squad game and we were randomly paired with a 4th. He got 7 kills and I spectated him after an early death - none of my guns ever behave the way his did. Even if his aim was truly excellent, nothing could have explained his UMP on full auto barely recoiling.

Another game last night, all but one of us died straight away. The survivor suffered a connection issue at launch so got split from us. For shits and giggles, he just drove to the warehouse by the prison, right in the center of the circle hoping to cheese to the end with a good circle and my advice on a really good hiding place. Didn’t matter. 10 minutes of not moving later, a team drove in and two bee-lined for his hiding spot, two-tapping him in the head, while prone on a platform behind a bunch of barrels. All this in first person mode. I’d like to buy that they saw his car in the warehouse from a distance and had thoroughly recce’d the building, but they didn’t even come from a direction that hinted that could of been the case. With no kill-cam, sure felt like at least one of them had ESP.

Totally legit…

Sooooo glad I refunded this… what a cesspool

The real problem is the Loot Boxes which can be sold for money. It creates a profit motive for cheaters who will use stolen credit cards to buy the games, jam out a bunch of credits using hacks and then fence the ill-gotten virtual goods on the Steam Marketplace. Without that in play you’d just see the occasional dickweasel hacking to get their rocks off. Instead it’s a literal industry.

I don’t know, it all seems so hyperbolic. Either a game doesn’t have an issue or else it is a cesspool of cheating that should be avoided at all costs.

At least half of all claims of cheating in online games are from sore losers. Well, not only sore losers, I think if people read online articles about cheating in a game and then they die, they are subconsciously far more likely to think they were cheated on.

I was looking through the leaderboards last night on a few servers and didn’t see any strange K/D ratios, so I guess the actual cheaters get banned pretty quickly. I am not sure why they even do it. The game is good in that an account can only earn, what is it, 5 or 6 loot boxes a week and they sell for 0.5 each. $3 of profit a week of steam money (not real money) for a $30 game and you’re very likely to get banned long before you ever recoup the cost (and your steam account will probably get banned too, making any gains from the steam marketplace void).

I die alot in the game but have never seen anything that I was convinced was cheating. The game does need a killcam and does need active vigilance to remove cheaters, but calling it a cesspool is laughable.