Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

Seems like this is a real performance tire fire on Xbox.

Not a good start that’s for sure. I haven’t seen much in the way of cheating lately which is nice. I just realized yesterday that I’m top 500 in fpp solo. Aka I play way too much. I just don’t get bored of it.

I tried the desert map over the weekend. I hace mixed feelings about it. It’s so huge and so many places to hide that I think it could be quite boring. And it’s a sniper heaven. We’ll see.

Yeah, yikes.

I mean, I get that game development is hard. But if the prevailing meme related to your game is “runs like shit,” maybe fix that before your major console release. Guessing they felt like they needed to release before Christmas no matter what.

Fortnite I’m sure is a big reason why they are rushing this out.

There are definitely some performance issues with the game on Xbox, but I had a pretty good experience in my first hour. Sure the frame rate tanks when jumping from the plane or in the lobby with 99 other people before the game starts, but once on the ground it’s very playable.

The performance drops during close encounters are hopefully just weird bugs they can fix pretty easily during the Game Preview phase.

I want to study you in a lab.

I’ve been watch Mixer streams of the game played on both Xbox One and the new Xbox One X, and it runs like dogshit. Maybe they’ll figure it out, or maybe it’ll just sell a bunch of copies anyway and nobody will care.

Sure, is there free food involved?

Free energy drinks.

Any study involving pubg and no alcohol is bad science.

Ok, had a chance to play for another hour or two on Xbox. This time with a friend in two Duo games.

We had a blast. He’s played countless hours on PC, I’ve never played the game at all, so he was showing me the ropes a lot. The performance is definitely pretty poor, but still good enough to play.

If they can fix the weird FPS drops, this game will be an unexpectedly excellent console port.

The full release of version 1.0 is out on Steam now.

I’ve been playing the test server for the last couple of weeks, and all the new features + the new map have definitely breathed new life into the game. The performance has also improved, going from 60-70 fps to 80-90 on my GTX 980. In short, it’s great, with one exception: rubber banding. Hopefully, they’ll be able to fix this, but the start of the game can be a bit sketchy. Well, at least on the test servers (haven’t tried v1.0 yet).

Fuck you Steam. Downloads 12Gb, sits there unpacking for 15 minutes with the time remaining jumping all over the place, stops, starts downloading from scratch again.

I had that happen when i downloaded the test server last week…

1.0 is great so far. It really delivers on everything I wanted out of the game:

• I really like the changes to the UI and minimap that they made, everything is easier to navigate and less janky.
  • The Deathcam and replay feature are fantastic. You can now see your killer’s perspective during the last 10 seconds or so of your life. Now you don’t have to wonder where exactly where you went wrong, or if someone else was cheating.
  • Significant improvement in fps generally and smoothing any big dip areas.
  • I have not tried the new map, new guns, or new vehicles yet but I am looking forward to it they look great.

New cosmetic crates that need a key are incoming soon as well (of course).

The performance improvement is pretty huge. Trying the test server for the first time a couple weeks ago and seeing the difference in FPS was kinda shocking.

Yeah, I’ve gone from 15-20 FPS to a pretty consistent 30 fps, which is alright considering my laptop. At least it is somewhat playable now, whereas it wasn’t before. Also, the death cam is the best that could have happened to this game.

Death cam and replays of the entire match. Prett good update.

I asked last summer roughly how long it would take to get my first solo win. For the sake of science and laughter, I will post my experience.

I finally got it after previously reaching the top two EIGHT TIMES. I know because I counted. And the funny thing is I didn’t deserve to win any of them. I just picked the wrong approach every time. When I moved, a camper got me. When I camped, someone moved in on me. One time recently the audio bugged out on me and I missed a guy running right by the house I was in. It was a comedy of random failures.

I had won duo and squad matches multiple times by myself after my team had died, but I couldn’t get that monkey off my back. I got so impatient a few months ago I started playing like a coward. It’s so easy to get to the endgame when you avoid contact. My top 10 rate was probably 70%, and my top 2 rate was almost 10%. Sheesh.

The top 10 is thrilling but getting there this way was a total waste of time. I’m not proud! If I ever play solo again – which I may not – I’ll just drop somewhere hot and have a good time.

It’s weird that this game (and maybe the genre in general) has you make this decision. The best way to win is to basically not play the game – no shooting, limited moving, lots of camping. It’s kind of fun, but it wears off quickly. Or, you could be a little more manic – make lots of noise, actively try to flank others, etc – which is more fun (in the sense that you are actually playing the game), but that makes you a lot easier to kill.

My solo playstyle is the first kind, and I can almost always get into the top 10 (with 0 kills). But now that some of my friends have picked it up, I’ve been playing with them, and it’s like night and day. They drop in to places with a bunch of other people, they rarely crouch when moving and almost never go prone, and they are constantly in motion, even in places with lots of cover.

I go through a lot more games with them, but I have a lot more fun, and those games are a lot more memorable.