Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

I hadn’t heard of the hype zone channel on Mixer before. It was streaming Fortnite and it’s been a lot of fun jumping with a few hundred viewers from the end of one match to the next. Really neat channel and, I’d imagine, equally entertaining for PUBG.

Thanks for the heads up (I was catching up on this thread earlier today) which got me to give the channel a try.

Sales are still increasing, so probably not.

So the iOS and Android ports are out, and are apparently the exact same game with downscaled graphics. Neat, but no big deal, right?

What’s interesting is this-- people are running the Android version in Windows, with an emulator. And controlling it via mouse and keyboard. These people are winning so many chicken dinners that they’d jack off a hobo for a hamburger. They are invincible, unstoppable, magnificent golden princes. They break the game.

Just like the hackers in the PC version.

Like China, mouse and keyboard are number one.

In some ways this is better because of the inventory management. It looks like crap from the air but once you hit the ground it’s pretty much PUBG.

Interestingly it autoteams you - i’ve been placed into rando teams of three or four every time, and i’ve neither selected this nor opted into it.

That makes sense there are some mouse/keyboard players because i’ve gotten to No. 2-5 every game but that last guy is headshotting me from miles away. It just feels substantially different. Most randos just charge you with an Uzi and die miserably.

Ijust got this game after thinking it looked dumb and overhyped, and i was definitely proven wrong. it is an ABSOLUTE blast, especially with friends. you can play in any way you want, drop into hot zones or cold ones to loot, and if you die, eh, who cares, move onto the next one. i don’t notice awful latency or cheaters or chinese players at all. really fun.

I play A LOT and I haven’t seen much in the way of cheating the last couple of months. Everyone once in a while you will run into someone, but it doesn’t feel like a major problem anymore to me. They need to work on the netcode and add more things to do. I think that’s the biggest thing. They still only have the one mode. They added an event, but then pulled it after only a few days. Silly…

The one thing that concerns me is that they seem super focused on everything that isn’t important. Emotes that nobody uses. Gun skins that are mostly silly. Now I have people running around with bright orange guns. Yay?

I still have never found a game that is more fun co-op when things are going well. You just have to get a good group as playing with people that don’t operate the same as you will drive you INSANE. I should top 1,000 hours this week. LOL

I don’t know much about cheating in the normal PC/console versions, just the mobile one. You’re playing on a 27" monitor with a mouse and keyboard, and your opponents are on 6" phones with their thumbs covering half the screen. It’s a frickin’ massacre.

After watching the battle (non) sense videos, i’ve pretty much stopped playing this. It’s amazing how much of your shitty net code you can hide behind not showing the player their ping, their connection to their server, and getting them not to fire their weapon until absolutely necessary.

The awarding of (even more!) crates that require money to open just adds insult to injury. Fuck you pubg, i’ll find something else to play.

Achievement unlocked: uninstalled PUBG.

Is there a game that does 100 player netcode better? From what I saw from his latest comparison video both Pubg and Fortnite give pretty similar performance. Hopefully there will be more improvements in the future.

the netcode is not that great. There is a loooot of improvements to be made, to the UI, the backend, and the netcode. They are kinda focusing on the wrong things, but, kind of expected from a Korean company. To be fair, they are only a year old. It’s a pretty smooth game for being so young. I play it in spite of all its flaws…

I don’t believe it’s a better game, but H1 does have generally better performing netcode. Of course that was made with Forgelight as opposed to UE4 so it’d be weird if it wasn’t better in that regard.

Even though from a realistic perspective I’m willing to admit that for a developer making their first shooter and after only about 2 years of development total, the game is actually fairly impressive. From a player standpoint, and from someone who has played shooters for 20+ years, all of the collective missteps and technical inconsistencies really make a cumulatively frustrating experience that logically should be in better shape than it currently is.

It’s still a good game that is generally more fun than just the sum of its parts would imply, but the little irritations that most shooters have solved already tend to rub the wrong way after long enough.

Outside of MMOs, I dunno, but that’s not the point.

Maybe the question should be, what can the engine do well? Maybe instead of 100 it should only be 40 people?

There’s lots of quality of life improvement for them to be making, but they’re too busy chasing loot keys, and new platforms and weapon skins and other bs…

And if you love it still, great. More power to you. But for me it’s a waste of time to get that invested in a game without knowing whether it’s even working. I mean, take bf or cod or anything else, and you can pick a server, and even if the ping looks fine, you can tell in a minute or two if you’re hitting good on the server and whether you should stay. Shit, in pubg you could be one shot away from a chicken dinner, having not fired your weapon the whole round, and absolutely unaware that due to factors beyond your control you literally cannot hit the side of a house right now.

I don’t think MMOs have anywhere near the response time of a shooter, nor do they need it.

Geez that doesn’t sound fun. The only problems I have had is in the start of a round, which is more understandable as there’s 100 headless chickens running around. It’s a feature of these royale netcodes that their performance improves as the players left declines. When it’s 40 or less remaining it should be consistently good from then till the end.

Anyway, for other reasons I play this game occasionally but not all the time. Maybe scaling back the amount you play instead of dropping it entirely will bring the fun back?

This is gold

That was great, and now I know everything I need to regarding battle royal.