Battlegrounds - Another Battle Royale game

Haha the salty kid at the end is great.

The new map feels like what PUBG should have been from the start. The matches are brisk without feeling rushed. I’m never bored, but you still get a couple minutes of downtime after most of the fights.

I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my time afterwards either. Much better joy per hour.

It’s the smaller map, right? Which was a direct reaction to fortnite. Are vehicles still meaningful? How much smaller is it?

It’s half the size, so 4km by 4km. That’s still pretty big, as a lot of the other maps didn’t really get used. Vehicles are different, but still potent and strong, there is a lot of cover and hills. It is honestly a great map. The loot spawns are higher, things just feel faster paced.

To be pedantic, the new map’s 4km x4km is a quarter the area of the previous maps (8km x 8km).

1,105 hours. Is there a support group I can join? LOL. The new map is very different than the other two. A. It’s much smaller, but B. There’s so much cover! There’s somewhere to hide almost everywhere so you have to be super careful. For someone like me for likes to sneak around it great. I could see it annoying other people.

FYI if you are ever bored I highly recommend doing solo squads on AS. They are so so bad that it’s just so entertaining. I picked off an entire squad one by one over 10 minutes. Kill one and run off and hide. Come back SINCE THEY NEVER SEEM TO MOVE and pick off another. Rinse and repeat. Seriously it’s bizzaro world playing on that server. They play totally different than on the US server.

That’s funny.

Founding members!

I’m disgusted at about 250 hours.

Well that’s random lol. At least I’m not the only crazy one out there. The reason I play so much is that it requires no planning or remembering of what you did last time. I just don’t have patience lately to play anything where I have to pickup where I last was.

That’s an interesting point, and another potential way to expand the battle royale gameplay.

What if they added an element of persistence like many roguelikes have today, where you retain some of your progress after each match-- and then when you kill an advanced player you get to take all their stuff?

In the same way that sharks have a ton of mercury in their systems because they eat so many smaller fish, eventually you’d have players spawning with full powered exo-skeletons and circling laser gatling drones, and all the other players would be obligated to team up to take them out… and then fight over the spoils.

There’s just so much room under the battle royale umbrella to innovate!

What I like about the game is that there is zero game advantage in terms of the game between someone who has 1,000 hours or 1 hour. Experience and good FPS skills are all you need. I lack the good FPS skills even after 1,000 hours. :(

You are essentially describing the DayZ or Survival game model (minus the match part), which Battle Royale games kind of evolved from.

Also check out Escape from Tarkov if you want a quasi-BR game with captured loot retained between matches.

Yes, I envision it as a “league”, similar to how Path of Exile supports their live game. They do it right.

Every couple of months you add a new game mode, requiring everybody to start over fresh, see how people like it, and if they do you add it permanently. In this case it would be separate from the non-persistent game of course.

But the roguelike bit is only one league, you can think of tons of other ways to mix up BRoyale.

The reason I play is that a lot of my real-life friends also play it. In fact, some of them haven’t played online shooters since the days of Doom and Action Quake 2. It’s also why I like the downtime in the game, since it gives plenty of time for us to just talk shit.

Solo, I usually only manage to play a couple of rounds, since it gets so incredible tense.

Darn it. Now I might have to keep playing this game.

I just realized we had a whole argument in the Fortnite thread about them somehow stealing the Battle Royale concept and this thread for the game they were supposedly stealing it from says “Another Battle Royale game” right in the title. I can’t roll my eyes hard enough.

You realize PlayerUnknown was behind pretty much all the Battle Royale games until and including PUBG?

Maybe it’s a Telefrog thing. He’s so tuned into videogames that he’s already tired of it by the time the original big name game comes out. Hah!

I can relate.

Well, it started as an Arma 2 mod.