Battlestar Galactica 19: Operation Airlift

Sorry humans :) Congrats @soondifferent!

Sorry about that Billy. Jack Fisk was just the amazing target, well till he got killed that is.

I was tempted to reveal early when Kat xo’ed me but i didn’t know for sure if raiders were going to activate on the crisis so i chose the safe route and stayed hidden, playing as unoptimally as i could get away with.

Then colonial day happened. At first i was dissapointed since it would have failed anyway but i soon found the silver lining. Billy got brigged. Gone was trust.

Then i should have chosen Jack to check his loyalty. Surely that would have resulted in the second brigging. But i didn’t know that crisis was coming. Kat chose differently and rightly so.

Then when i jumped the ship i got the second card and got suspected. Bad news, then i got brigged even worse.
Some crazy stuff happened then with Gina getting executed and things started looking up again.

Jack got admiral again with a lot of treacheries so he was my primary target for recieving “the gift”.
I thought @soondifferent would be more shocked when he got my card haha

So with the CFB, there are way more crisis to deal with so puts more stress on the cards especially in the beginning.
The board itself should be more managable though with a friendly CAG and now we have a better understanding of it.

Thanks everyone and @CraigM especially!

When does the new game start? ;)

I’m going to go over the changes this evening and give my thoughts on the pursuit board and the CAG titles. Because I’ve got them!

Then tomorrow is my first day at a new job. Will see how that will be before commenting on starting up. Possibly next week, but I won’t commit until at least Tuesday.

In the mean time, what did you all think of the new additions? Did you like them? Did they ‘fix’ the useless pilot problem? Did Cylon ships suddenly seem threatening instead of a thing to ignore? Too threatening? What’s your verdict?

I definitely didn’t fully get the pursuit board. It’s pretty devastating when your top pilot is a Cylon the whole game though. Ships felt like they were just everywhere all game long. I know it didn’t help that we humans had our minor squabbles and infighting though.

I think we should give it a couple more tries, i defintely see how the pursuit board could be gamed a bit by the humans. I do like the unpredictability of cylon attack cards as well though and maybe we could find a way to incorparate the special rules.

An attack card effectively saves 5 cards, but now you can get more jump preps in return.
The pilots are more important at the cost of the president which imo is balanced.

Destroying cylon ships should be a priority for the humans.

The Fleet is certainly a factor to be respected and feared. I can’t compare the game with and without it, since I only personally played this game, but it seems like everyone needs to be on top of mitigating or destroying their presence. Shooting the Basestars is a must, otherwise they’ll just keep coming and spawning more targets, even at the risk of losing a ship or two.
For this, communication of priorities and capabilities is key. I’m sorry for the newb being a bit annoying about what we were doing, but it felt important to have a plan.

Of course, I’ve made mistakes, probably more then I realized along the game and after, but I had a good time and hope I was a good partner. Feel free to beat me over the head over my failings to properly use Kat.

I think you played just fine.

Ha, I definitely wasn’t expecting it. Like I said to Craig, I was 95% sure that Rowe was a Cylon. Just after you gave me the card though I got the gut feeling that it was a Cylon card after all, so I quickly restated my intention to space Rowe so that it would predate the loyalty card actually being passed out. Still shocked to see the actual card.

I started the game with the idea to play a bit differently than usual. I figured that we tend to play cautiously since we’re stuck in the same game for months, but if we were playing this tabletop it’d be more natural to take risks. Hence the early brigging, and the subsequent blood feud. I still don’t really get some of Rowe’s moves in the game – were you metagaming? Were your cards really that good that you hoarded them through 3 checks? (the 2 food shortage, and the early morale one that neither you nor Ott contributed – that one was the one that really prompted me to pull the trigger.) And then going after me with such surety afterwards … unless you really think you did nothing suspicious? Guess it probably comes down to a difference of opinion about the value of food. I’ve always seen it at least as a valuable buffer that gives us more options with stuff like riots.

Really fun game though. @jeffreyb = MVP (thanks for the carry!) @Perky_Goth and @Otthegreat were rightfully cautious of everything, and @rowe33, despite having been a far better Cylon than I (;P) nailed it with the execution. (my reveal would have been -1 morale! sob)

The pursuit board is pretty daunting. I think the crises weren’t too bad this game, so I can see things getting really hairy if the RNG decides to be mean. Agree with Perky that basestar management is important next time; we had two basestars for pretty much the whole game (but his emails)

Having a Cylon president is tough. Not much you can do unless he has a mutiny card, since he’s still pretty effective in the brig. Plus, if he stays in jail long enough, you might start having second thoughts about his toastiness! @Lantz please do try out speculative executions, preferably if I am a spectator. The 12 check for the airlock is pretty intimidating + cost of action + potential card loss + pursuit board means that it’ll probably be a hard sell.

Hey, maybe Pegasus will survive next game!

Pegasus is pretty good with the cfb actually.
Need to thin the cylons out.

Or just get a lot of jump preps. I think this game there weren’t that many for the humans as well

Hey boyos, especially @CraigM

Finished this up recently.

The Beast is scheduled for the spring. Did a Viper with my dad’s name as the pilot on it but I dunno where he put it.

And yeah, the Raider has lit engines and the moving red eye.

That looks awesome!

Should see it in the dark with the eye on.

Don’t we need to start a new game before the edit timer runs out? ;)

Heh, yeah. New job has been running me crazy with training, plus I’ve been driving from Detroit to Chicago, and back every weekend. Wrapping up project and will start this week.

@knightsaber Are you the chosen one?

Sounds like Craig has things in hand?

I misread, sorry.

Good luck, Craig, and may the toasters get fracked.

Is this where I sign up for another tour?
Because I’m ready for that. I’m recovered from last time. Cottle gave me the all clear.

Yes we will go ahead with sign ups.

So I have some thoughts about the changes, and before I set out the lists I want to see how everyone feels.

First off I like the changes. One problem has consistently been the relative unimportance of pilots. Once you survive the initial onslaught then there is very little need for space pew pew. Damaging vipers is almost irrelevant. This, I think, swung the pendulum strongly to pilots, somewhat at the expense of the President. This is actually good, I think, as it gives a hidden Cylon player, of any class, a potential tool of subversion, while also providing a potential large boon to humans.

The Cylon Fleet itself seemed to be a source of some confusion. Perhaps I didn’t explain it well enough to start, but it is fairly simple. We didn’t use the Cylon fleet board for actions, but I have no doubt in a closer run game we would have sent someone there. But the mere fact that there was always going to be a persistent Cylon ship pressure really added something to the game, or rather took something away. Time. There never was this stretch of 2-3 rounds where the humans just puttered along waiting to jump, with no urgency to their actions. Instead there was always one, usually several, fires to put out.

But broadly speaking I think I am would like to keep the game as we ran it. It really added to the tension, and makes everyone important. The fact that pilots, other than Apollo, were usually terrible when they should be great, is reason enough for me.

Any other thoughts? To those who played, you think I’m crazy?

I can definitely tell you that of all the times I’ve played the game, this was the most fun.

Seriously, though, it seems like a good mix from the games I’ve followed, but there’s the bias that it’s the only one I’ve played. Also, handling the Cylon Fleet should not be left solely to pilots.