Battlestar Galactica 28: I Swear This Has Happened Before

Mull it with me in PM’s sometime. Or email. I don’t like watching people not have fun.

I would say that at least 2 people are having a lot of fun, though the joy of kicking humanity while its down can’t last forever! I’m ok either way. soon & Jorn have sure played the cards they were dealt well though.

Ending it now would mean an earlier start for the next game though so that’s a plus :D

The end of this crisis will end the game, I was just offering to spell it out for you all instead of going through the actions that are all sorts of wrong and unfair.

That’s true. I wouldn’t mind permanently being the last to pick and take a boring character with matching colors.
I also think a busy season for most took a bit of a toll on the dialog and play - there wasn’t enough conversation for collaboration and for avoiding errors.

Anyway, I can take this as a puzzle to lose by as least as possible, it’s good practice for not taking bad things so seriously. But I think we should call it. And that you shouldn’t care so much, it hurts you more than me. It’s on us to be masochists.

This is what’s going to happen.

There’s -5 Treachery in the check, you can’t pass it. -1 Fuel will happen. Raiders will do something, you’ll jump.

Admiral Jorn will pick Misjump over the 3 Distance card he gets a choice from. The top civilian has fuel, -1 Pop and -1 Fuel.

The Destination that autoflips is the Lion’s Head Nebula. -4 Fuel, 3 Distance.

So you will be at 5 Distance and 0 Fuel, game over.

That’s hilarious, though.
Yay, 5 distance, not that bad. :D

Fun, yes, but it is a soul crushing kind of fun. And as I was human in #27 I know that feeling; but we had a good run, despite the almost sure loss. For me, BSG shines the brightest when there is tension. In the situations where it gets lopsided this tension disappears.

I agree with a lot of what has been said above. The tricky thing with removing any uncertainty is that it removes a core part of the game, part of which it the tension I find fun. I am not sure there is any good way to fix it that doesn’t cause more problems than it solves.

I mean the last game I ran was so close. And we’re it not for a few well timed plays by the Cylons, humans win. Rowe using the Human Fleet to jettison a 3 distance jump (and the unfortunate reality that the next two jumps were two, and the 3 after that all 3) was perfectly played. That, plus luck on the deck, made the difference.

And the fortune of the damage tokens helped. Losing the hangar at a key moment was brutal.

I have no idea what sort of weird solutions to attempt that won’t backfire fantastically…or confuse me too much.

I wonder if the mods can come up with some setup rules that are more fair but keep the mystery. Maybe we can leverage nuetral forum mod benevolence to tip the balances back towards nuetral while keeping the mystery metagame intact for the players.

I will ponder on this.

Good game! I think the free distance crisis and free prep crisis really forced our hand to act early - I would have revealed on the first one if I had enough cards to make a difference, luckily for us Jorn was in a much better position to throw that one.

Was also really lucky drawing the 6PP from the CoP cards. If it wasn’t for that our existence on Galactica would have been considerably more dangerous. If the game had gone a little bit longer, and if Jorn had an XO on his turn I would have suggested making him president. God emperor Faust.

I’ll leave it to our esteemed council of DMs on what they want to do about the two-Cylon problem! Thanks everyone and thanks for running this @Knightsaber!

Oh, yeah… Remember me saying Morale wasn’t the worst thing to lose at the start? I started with Inspirational Speech.
What Mutiny did I finally draw? Well… An unplayable one.

Congrats Cylons.
It somehow managed to feel even worse than the last game :)

I don’t think we should tinker too much with the rules.

I got sidetracked by the discussion. Seconded! Thanks for running @Knightsaber!

I will try and get a game together once work allows unless someone beats me to the punch

Good game Cylons & thanks KS! Maybe the initial loyalty deal could rely on the discretion of the game runner. It seems that humanity might have a chance if neither the Admiral or President is one of the pair, pre-sleeper phase.

I’m apparently moving office space over the next couple weeks. I am going to have to put off running anything until the new year.

Maybe a new game in January. Maybe I’ll fudge it to 1 starting Cylon. Maybe not.

I will cede my win spot and be in the random pool.

Anyone interested in an…experiment?