Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - A Frakking Good Time

Picked this up a couple of days ago and it is indeed a fracking good time. The chapters are missions you can run, but you can go off on your own to fight the cylons at any point. The replays are really superb - feels like watching the tv show, complete with the sudden jarring camera shifts to the action close ups. It’s a shame the team for the new iteration of master of orion didn’t have these guys working on their cinematic battles.

Might be the best TBS I’ve played in a few years. Time will tell, but it’s very impressive so far.

Just finished. Getting the Galatica felt kind of anti climatic for me. It didnt radically alter the existing play dynamic much, so the late game, is more of the same. That’s the worst thing I can say about gameplay. lol. It was otherwise fracking excellent, and many strategies and tactics to explore. Different ships and captains can really change play a lot. It was a outstanding game that dipped slightly to only excellent toward the end…lol

Raptors, were kinda one shot, special scenario items. I never find a use for them that made me want to swap out my vipers.

Ok Brian, what do you recommend as your fav 4x game that is easy and intuitive to jump into and feel like MOO, but not a carbon copy? :)

I just started it, and unlocked the Adamant cruiser.

I can’t say I’m enjoying myself a lot here. What am I missing?

My memory right now is horrible thanks to a concussion. However, if I recall the adamant cruiser is still before you are able to hire captains… If so the game slowly opens up new features as you play so you haven’t seen everything yet. However, if you are not enjoying the BG astatic outright, launching fighters and moving your ships into pincer movements and moving away when they breach your armor…the game might now be for you :) That alone made the first 5 hours great, then once I could buy upgrades, hire crew, research, and kit out my ship it kept me hooked all the way to the last bit…though the end game was a litte bit too long for my taste…

I’m in!

got the game yesterday, been giving it the side-eye for ages. its cool, but a bit of an uphill battle at first! love the music and atmosphere tho. gameplay flow is sweet as frak. can get tedious if you are fleeing and kiting while your vipers chew on the toasters ass for ten turns until it pops.

I decided to make my first attempt at the game. Selected the Colonial Fleet and 4000 points. Selected 3 Adamants with missiles and Vipers, and then 3 Manticores, 2 with torpedoes and 1 with missiles (not enough points for all 3 with torpedoes).

My plan was to cross the Cylon “T” with my Adamants as they have good broadsides, and sweep wide with my Manticores and then sweep back in and make torpedo runs, and launch all of my Vipers to take out any Cylon fighters. Of course, the plan went out the window once the fight started. The enemy had 3 Talons (their version of Adamants),a and 4 ships (can’t remember the name) that specialize in hacking. They hacked two of my Manticores leaving them dead in space, and started hacking an Adamant. Meanwhile, my Vipers killed his fighters, while i got a good missile strike in on a Talon, leaving it pretty crippled (but one of my Adamants was heavily damaged in the exchange). I directed my fighters on the crippled Talon, and my remaining Manticore make a torpedo run on it and destroyed it. The other two Talons had charged too far, too fast and had taken themselves out of the battle and had to circle round.

I charged my Adamants at the hacking ships and took out one of them. Meanwhile my Vipers and Manticore, after taking out the Talon, I directed to one of the hackers, and another torpedo run took it out. One of my hacked Maniticores was hit by Talon missiles and went down. My heavily damaged Adamant went down to another missile barrage.

So, now was the crucial point. I had one active Adamant, one active Manticore, a hacked Admanant, and a hacked Manticore, both repairing themselves as fast as they could, along with 3 Viper squadrons. The enemy had two Talons and two hackers. So the questions was two fold - could I destroy his 2 remaining hackers before they could cripple any ships,and could my hacked ships repair themselves before the enemy Talons swung back around.

Luckily, my Adamant took out another hacker, though it sustained another missile attack from a Talon. With only one hacker remaining, my other ships managed to repair themselves and take it out. My Vipers meanwhile attacked a Talon and missile strikes from my Adamant and Manticore took it out. Then my undamaged Adamant, my Vipers attacked, with my Adamant, giving a broadside, then turning and raking the Talon rear, while my Manticore made a final torpedo run which destroyed it. The victory was mine.

Learnings:

1. Vipers are very powerful and can take out Cylon raiders pretty easily. They also do pretty good on capital ships. They were my ace in the hole in this battle, and I think really swung the tide at a couple of the crucial points.
  2. Hackers are a pain and potentially very dangerous. Your ships have subsystems (navigation, fire control, etc) and they can make it impossible to move or fire.
  3. When facing hacker, just plunge past the main enemy ships and focus on them. The main enemy warships will hopefully swing past take themselves out of the battle, giving you time to focus on the hackers.
  4. Though unguided (unlike missiles), torpedoes can be very powerful. But unlike missiles, you can’t fire them from across the battlefield. You need to get close, but if you get in a good position you can do devastating damage.

This is a really great game, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Loved it.

Yay!!

I want to add that the developers have continued to listen to players and have continued to patch, balance and enhance the game. The next patch will alter shift visuals during combat to reflect battle damage. You’ll get external burns and armor scarring.

Now available on GOG as well, along with the DLC that was just released today.

Just picked it up!

So from what I can gather there are campaign chapters and also freedom to go off and do side stuff.

Is there any replayability with the chapters or do they play out the same way? Is there a skirmish mode for the space battles?

I think the story missions are the same, but there is a skirmish mode where you can play humans or toasters. :)

OK thanks. I think I’ll bite at this price.

I’ve been waiting for it to be released on GOG – sooner than expected! Also bought all the DLC. Have played it for a few hours and it’s nothing short of excellent so far.

Trailer for the new dlc.

I drove back into this with a new campaign, and wow, it’s gotten even BETTER since last I played.

ToBSGOrNotToBSG

I sure hope not!

It’s OK Dan. Brian has a money back guarantee for everything he recommends! You are safe with Brian.