Battlestar Galactica: The Game?

Okay, given the surprising lack of suck so far in the miniseries, I’m suddently interested in the new Battlestar Galactica game.

Anyone here tried it? Any good?

(And I’d be playing the PS2 version, if they’re very different.)

:shock:

Lot of team turmoil during its development (I’ve friends who worked on it). Probably hasn’t reached its full potential because of that and huge amounts of publisher goal post shifting.

I too would like to hear what people think, I have to say positive things or else.

Battlestar Galactica: The Game?

Oh … you mean Homeworld …

… right? ;)

I think it would have had much more potential as a Homeworld-style game. As it stands it’s pretty much a straight-up Wing Commander-style space shooter with way too infrequent save points.

Personally, I think it’s a gem. Not dumbed down, difficult but gratifying, and the ship actually has personality. You’re not just steering a cursor, but dealing with energy management and maneuvering. In fact, there’s more maneuvering and energy management than there is aiming. It’s adapted surprisingly well to a console controller. I prefer the PS2 controller, but the graphics do look better on the Xbox.

The mission design does suffer a bit from puzzle-itis. Gary’s right that the save points are too infrequent, because there aren’t any save points; fail the mission and you replay it. But so far, once I’ve figured out a mission, I’ve enjoyed replaying it to improve my stats. Lame unlockables, though.

I recommend it as a fairly sophisticated space combat game, which is particularly surprising considering it’s a console game. It doesn’t have the variety, accessibility, or flash of the Rogue Squadron games, but it’s got enough depth to make up for it.

-Tom

Does the super-special code they broadcasted during the miniseries make the game cooler?

I understand it is an RPG where Starbuck changes sex every time he/she levels…

I had two major problems with it. One is that the missions are way too long, too soon. The very first mission is essentially four missions in one – defend the Galactica, THEN take out a series of asteroid satellites, THEN protect your wingmen, THEN take out the mothership asteroid before getting clear of the explosion. The whole thing takes about a half-hour, and even if you fail right at the end (one time, my Viper was destroyed because I didn’t get clear enough of the final explosion), it’s all the way back to the very start for you, flyboy.

I had the same problem with the Rogue Squadron games – those games, like this one, need save points at the obvious “markers” between level sub-sections to prevent them from being so TV-smashingly frustrating. Or just shorter missions, at least at the outset.

The other problem is the targeting system. It’s not at all intelligent so the only way to find the target you want is to cycle through them manually. In the case of that first mission, finding the Commsat satellites is an exhausting process of trial and error.

I had two major problems with it. One is that the missions are way too long, too soon. The very first mission is essentially four missions in one – defend the Galactica, THEN take out a series of asteroid satellites, THEN protect your wingmen, THEN take out the mothership asteroid before getting clear of the explosion. The whole thing takes about a half-hour, and even if you fail right at the end (one time, my Viper was destroyed because I didn’t get clear enough of the final explosion), it’s all the way back to the very start for you, flyboy.

Ugh. I will never play this game. Never. This kind of mission design coupled with an inability to save sucks mightily. They should at least have checkpoint saves.

RTFM, Gary. Regarding the targeting:

Tap the triangle button to target whatever’s under your reticule. If nothing’s under your reticule, it’ll target the nearest enemy. Hold it down to padlock onto your objective. I can’t imagine how you could finish a mission without knowing this.

As for the missions being too long, the first one I finished in nine minutes when I completed it. I can do it in about five minutes now. I agree the mission structure is pretty weak, but thirty minutes is quite the overstatement.

-Tom

Tap the triangle button to target whatever’s under your reticule. If nothing’s under your reticule, it’ll target the nearest enemy. Hold it down to padlock onto your objective. I can’t imagine how you could finish a mission without knowing this.[/quote]

Thank the frackin’ Lords of Kobol for this… What is it with the retarded targeting systems in most console shooters? I absolutely loathe the “target the enemy currently closest to the crosshairs, and if that changes, change what I’m targeting, what’s that? You were chasing the previously targeted enemy down and flew by another enemy? Tough nookie! Your attention span is too short anyway.” system so prevalent in so many console shooters. Frackin’ A, looks like I’ll be buying what I otherwise thought would be a mediocre franchised space shooter.

On an unrelated note, I was pleasantly surprised by the first part of the miniseries. It felt like a cross between the plot of Space: Above and Beyond and the visual style of Firefly.

Watched it twice. I missed the first 25 minutes the first time around, so I was just going to watch that part of the second showing (came on again right after the first), but I ended up watching the whole thing again :P

Frackin’ A, looks like I’ll be buying what I otherwise thought would be a mediocre franchised space shooter.

I’m sure you’ll find plenty to pick apart, Oppressor, what with you being the Hardass Lord Adjuticator of All Space Sims. :) But I do think it’s worth your while to take a look. Warthog did a really good job of squeezing something relatively sophisticated into a console format.

-Tom

After reading all this, I popped over to VU’s site for the BG game and watched a trailer for it. Maybe they’re just showing the good parts, but I thought it looked pretty neat.

I’m not expecting The Return of Freespace 2 here, but how would you say this game stacks up against Wing Commander: Prophecy, Tom?

Ah, that must be why I had so much trouble with the targeting. My Xbox doesn’t have a triangle button. :D

You underestimate the severity of my space combat OCD: I have an impressive (or depressing from a get-a-life viewpoint) collection of space combat board games as well. And lest I tarnish my hardass rep, it’s adjudicator…

But I’m cool as long as we both can agree what a piece of crap Robotech BattleCry was…

This sounds pretty promising. I’ve been wanting something like this since MechAssault last year. Something more nimble, but still with lots of firepower, like a viper…